2019 String Summit At Horning's Hideout

Tea

• Forum MVP
Set One: The Promised Land ; Deal ; Black Throated Wind ; China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider ; Mexicali Blues ; Bertha ; Playing In The Band 

Set Two: Jack Straw ; Bird Song ; Greatest Story Ever Told Dark Star > El Paso ; Sing Me Back Home ; Sugar Magnolia ; Casey Jones 

Show Notes
Venue asked us to play an abbreviated version of 1972-08-27
  • Forum MVP

For 6 months in 2005 I carried my 25 pound house with me headed to Maine. I’d have no problem doing a minimalistic west coast jubilee with a backpack vs a ton of gear packing the car for jubilee jubilee. It seems to get more and more packed in the car every year. Before I know it there will be a recliner in there. I need to get back to basics and a west coast jubilee in the summer seems like a perfect testing ground.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Forum MVP
8 hours ago, Rude said:

For 6 months in 2005 I carried my 25 pound house with me headed to Maine. I’d have no problem doing a minimalistic west coast jubilee with a backpack vs a ton of gear packing the car for jubilee jubilee. It seems to get more and more packed in the car every year. Before I know it there will be a recliner in there. I need to get back to basics and a west coast jubilee in the summer seems like a perfect testing ground.  

I usually bring a recliner 🤦🏻‍♂️😂😆

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Forum MVP
34 minutes ago, chuckvegas said:

We could dig a quarry, fill it with sparkling clear cold water, put in a little sandy beach, have lots of nice trails with camp sites in the shade, and no motherfucking hill.

But that does seem like a lot of work.

We’d need wet suits to go in water west coast. Oooh. You could vend Chuck. Wetsuit rentals. 

Early july fest near the bay sounds perfect. Little chance of rain. 75 degrees in the day. 65 at night. Heaven!!!  Wherever it is, it needs to be where the climate suits my clothes and a rain jacket or 95 degrees doesn’t suit. 

how bout somewhere in the sierras!!!!!!  Let’s do like that tech billionaire and take over a redwood forest and cut down the trees to create the party area. A backwoods isolated fest like where pagans sacrifice virgins in the forest type of area would be super cool. Generators would be needed for the band but that wouldn’t be an issue. We could use the redwoods to build the stage. 

• Forum MVP
15 hours ago, John A said:

All this Oregon talk as "west coast" but where's the love for the Bay Area?  That's where The Dead are from for goodness sake.

DSO needs to recreate the Muir Beach Acid Test.  On Muir Beach.  Given it's a 15 minute drive, I'm in.

Seems like 15 minutes is your limit considering you wouldn’t go to Petaluma. If I recall correctly you were like it would take you almost an 45 minutes to an hour to get there. Guess we should have an in remembrance for the John A who moved to the bay because New York didn’t offer a sufficient amount of dead shows. 

• Forum MVP

Well, the nasty underbelly of the Bay Area, after housing prices, is traffic. Otherwise Petaluma is 20 min.

I did see many an Oakland Coliseum show with a 15 min commute.  Best commute though was JGB Halloween at the Kaiser '88.  I was briefly living in neighboring Piedmont, and I walked home!

And I lived about 1 1/2 miles as the crow flies from Barton Hall for all 3 Dead shows there - that I didn't see. Good excuse in '77 because I was 11.  But at 15 in '81 the excuses get pretty flimsy.

• Forum MVP

You know most of us look at 45 minutes as a local show. Heck I haven’t had a show closer than 120 miles in 150 shows. Those are my 10 minute commute shows. Didn’t you not miss a California dead/Jerry show for like 8 years? 

• Forum MVP
1 hour ago, Rude said:

Didn’t you not miss a California dead/Jerry show for like 8 years? 

That's almost true for 6+ years with the Dead.  Didn't go to So Cal Jerry shows because there was so much to see at Orphuem, Warfield, etc.

I did skip an LA Dead show summer '91.  It was a single night at the LA Coliseum.  That feels forgivable, even in hindsight.

But the real ballers, they hit entire years and/or had streaks of 100+ consecutive shows.  Now that's Deadication.