Any cord cutters out there?

acududeman

• Forum MVP

I have been recently pondering the prospect of weening off of the Cox Cable tit. The nickel & diming by these media providers drives me nuts. I must say, however, that the convenience and consolidation that is baked into their product line has kept me attached for years now (particularly for the  HD-DVR + sports channels). I am fixing to put a toe in the water shortly, as I purchased an Ooma box to replace my landline service for much less $$. As for TV, it appears that there are more & more appealing streaming options out there these days - YouTube TV, PlayStation Vue, Sling etc. 

Anyone out there taken the plunge yet? Thoughts? Advice? 

• Forum MVP

Sling, Netflix, and Amazon for the last 5yrs, haven't missed a thing and have more tv than we could all watch in a lifetime. Still under $90 with all three and have the full PKG with sling including DVR. Just make sure you have fast internet.

• Forum MVP

Haven't had cable in 8 years. Recently cancelled Amazon, Spotify, reduced my cell data plan, deleted Facebook and Instagram...what else can i get rid of? Trying to read more books instead. In the last week i re-read The Alchemist and read Bluebeard (vonnegut)...now on to Fear Nothing by Dean Koontz, now one of my favorite authors (also loved by him One Door Away From Heaven, Lightening, The Watchers).

I'll admit I'm piggybacking on my friend's Netflix account so i can watch star trek and whatever else occasionally catches my fancy.

Less money spent on crap, more money for not working and going to shows.

Not trying to brag. What works for me likely wouldn't work for others. I think watching commercials is poison for the soul tho

• Forum MVP

I agree with all of the above complaints. I have to do broadband cable feed to get any service in this area. Too many trees. Nothing satellite works. Verizon doesn’t work. I have to have WiFi in the house to get my phone to work. For a little bit more, I get TV. For a little bit more, I get TV that has something worth watching. After a year, the introductory offer starts going away. Ten percent increase per year for three years. They promised they would do that. I called and complained. All they said was that I wasn’t obligated and free to cancel at any time. Their way or the highway. Fuckers. That’s all, thanks for letting me share. 

Haven’t had cable since 1998. After 15 years, bought a tv 2 years ago. It’s not on that often, but I do have Hulu and Netflix when I do.

To each their own and what they are into. We just have always been busy, we read, we make music, we love. The kids are normal and not weird and better for it. 

Hulu and Netflix are nice that you can tune in and tune out when you want.

I could do with it, but I admit I’d not fare well without Spotify and Archive.org

4 hours ago, Mango said:

watch star trek

Gotta ask which one? 

We got rid of cable, but now instead of turning it off because there's nothing on, we have the option of a constant barrage of whatever we want to watch via Netflix/Amazon. My wife is always  trying out a new show and more than likely will watch all of it. Kind of a strange thing. I keep busy doing other stuff, still watch sometimes, but the family watches a good bit over here. 

• Forum MVP

Football season upcoming. I like the convenience of recording 3 games at once and watching all back and forth at the same time not missing any plays. 2 games is preferable to 3 but sometimes no choice. 

I did eliminate all social media over a year ago. Now the gf just tells me what’s going on. We’d takked about eliminating smart phones but I do almost all my work emails on my phone now. For work I have to have it as well as travel. No interest in going back to maps. That’s 1 great thing about smart phones. We know how to get where we are going without finding the 1st gas station and saying where’s the stadium. Then you find another gas station hopefully closer b/c the 1st directions were garbage and slowly make your way towards the venue. That’s for 20yr olds. Not interested in that again. GPS ftw!!!

• Forum MVP

We did away with satellite or cable several years ago and use an over the air antenna for most straight up TV.   Prime brings us a few good shows while PBS provides a significant amount of what we watch. I enjoy the technical play of trying to improve the antenna TV signal to bring in more channels from the 60 to 80 mile away stations. When the weather conditions are right I can see 52 different channels but they are mostly trash not worth watching.

• Forum MVP
7 hours ago, Rude said:

Football season upcoming. I like the convenience of recording 3 games at once and watching all back and forth at the same time not missing any plays. 2 games is preferable to 3 but sometimes no choice. 

I did eliminate all social media over a year ago. Now the gf just tells me what’s going on. We’d takked about eliminating smart phones but I do almost all my work emails on my phone now. For work I have to have it as well as travel. No interest in going back to maps. That’s 1 great thing about smart phones. We know how to get where we are going without finding the 1st gas station and saying where’s the stadium. Then you find another gas station hopefully closer b/c the 1st directions were garbage and slowly make your way towards the venue. That’s for 20yr olds. Not interested in that again. GPS ftw!!!

Yes, major sports fan here too...….along with the DVR benefits you mentioned, the primary reasons I've subscribed to cable all these years.

• Forum MVP

I traded in cable for YouTubeTV and speedy internet service about a year ago and have experienced zero interruption to our viewing habits. Have Netflix and Amazon Prime, but the sum total of all of that is still less than cable plus internet.

i think the key is to be sure that the things that you like to watch are available on whatever conduit you choose.  For me, that’s college football, which is cool with YTTV.

have fun!

YTTV has unlimited DVR storage and remote access from anywhere.

Sling is cheaper, but the DVR functions cost extra.

• Forum MVP
10 minutes ago, DesertDead said:

I traded in cable for YouTubeTV and speedy internet service about a year ago and have experienced zero interruption to our viewing habits. Have Netflix and Amazon Prime, but the sum total of all of that is still less than cable plus internet.

i think the key is to be sure that the things that you like to watch are available on whatever conduit you choose.  For me, that’s college football, which is cool with YTTV.

have fun!

YTTV has unlimited DVR storage and remote access from anywhere.

Sling is cheaper, but the DVR functions cost extra.

Thanks DD, this is the route that I'll probably go....YTTV seems like the best fit for me as well, via a Roku box.

I'll keep you posted.

• Forum MVP

I do go on vacation mode all summer, hence pounding Netflix. Saves me $400 when there’s no sports I care to watch. 

Just an FYI, Reddit has football streams of every game but there’s no recording it but I get to watch the Cowboys those few weeks where they aren’t on in my area. 

During foitbsll season i put a strip strip of wrapping paper over the bottom score ticker(wrapping paper doesn’t allow light through like other paper types so it works great). That way I can watch a series of 1 game then switch to the next. I do the 30sec fast forward between plays unless a hurry up offense and can watch every play of 3 games in around 4:30. With 2 games I can have them both done by the true ending. I’m a college football fanatic and try to watch 6-8 full games a week. What sucks is west coast football is pretty bad so the 10pm games that should be the cherry on top of the great day have been disappointing lately. USC is the culprit here. Horrible coaching has taken great recruiting classes and turned them into mediocre teams pretty much eliminating the class of the conference. It’s like if OSU has a 6-6 season it ruins the big ten. Michigan has picked it up somewhat but Ohio state is still far and away the class of the league. That being said I’m chomping at the bit. Week after Dso the 1st 2 games of the season occur. Seeing Rumpke mountain boys at a private party on KY lake that day but will have them recorded. Go team!

Archived