Dark Star
St. Stephen
Not Fade Away
Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad
Not Fade Away

Filler : Easy Wind

Edited by izaacb
  • Like (+1) 2

Always a treat to get an early GD re-creation, and this one was pretty special. My first DSO show, in December of 2008, was at the Shea Auditorium, and they performed an elective set. At the end of the show, Rob Eaton announced the historical significance of the venue, it being the site of New Jersey's first GD show. Last night I finally got to hear DSO re-create that show! Highlights for me were a soulful "It hurts me, too", with spot-on vocals from Rob B., as well as great harmonica by Lisa,  a rocking "Dancing in the Streets", with the tighten-up jam that was often employed in early-70's versions, a powerful and heart warming "Dew" (Jeff was in super-fine voice), and the non-stop jamming in the 2nd set. The "China>Rider" was a perfect blasting off point, and got the audience back into the swing, singing back to the band toward the conclusion. "Dark Star" reached some amazing and strange heights, dropped into a quieter zone, then picked up steam again toward the end. Skip seemed to be having a little difficulty with his amp during the quiet part, with stage techies scrambling to correct the problem, and when they did, Skip gave us a nice little bass jam, which was an unexpected bonus! "Stephen" naturally got the crowd worked up into a frenzy, and brought smiles to most faces, including mine! The harmonies by all gave me goosebumps, and it was a very danceable version. The closing "NFA>GDTRFB" medley was extremely tight, powerful, and a joy to witness! "Easy Wind" seemed a perfect choice for the filler, as it obviously fit with the era of the show, and Ron B. again showed how well he can channel Pigpen. I was pretty sweaty and tired by the end, but in a supremely good way, so the fact that the show was shorter than usual made no difference to me. I was simply happy to finally hear a re-creation of this show, and the band always sends me home happy. Praise DSO, indeed!!!

• Like (+1) 6
  • Forum MVP

Like Topher, my first show was also at the Shea Auditorium is December of 2008, where I was also going to school at the time. I can still remember the first notes of Aiko Aiko that night and the feeling it gave me. Happy to see that nearly 11 years later, the band has only gotten better. Last night was superbly played but also a very short show. Show should have started at 7 if the curfew was 11. I'm familiar with the original show on paper but I don't know if there any (good) recordings out there so I was thrilled to hear DSO recreate this one. DITS, Morning Dew, and the whole second set smoked. Love that Tighten Up jam. I remember that being one of the highlights of NYE a few years ago. More of that please. Onto AC.

• Like (+1) 4