College Football 2019

bs69

• Forum MVP

Bama should fall back in the 6-8 range. Minnesota should also rise to that range. Committee has a lot of work to do this week. How about App St.? Kings of the Carolinas,  still a good shot at the Cotton Bowl. I could easily see the American teams knocking each other off. 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

Huge shame about Tua, what the hell was he doing in that game at that point? I'm starting to think Ohio state and Clemson are the two best most complete teams,  LSU defense does not look good. They are looking a lot like Oklahoma

• Forum MVP

No. Saban knows he has to run scores up to make playoffs. He was running the score up. 

However Oregon just made the road to the playoff easier. 

Crazy how easily Herbert moving them down field for scores here late in the game but it’s going to be too little too late. 

Crazy how easily Herbert moving them down field for scores here late in the game but it’s going to be too little too late. 

• Forum MVP

Oregon and Penn state are now out, there are now only 9 possible candidates for the playoff. LSU, tOSU , Clemson,  Georgia,  Alabama,  Utah,  Minnesota,  Oklahoma and Baylor.  I think LSU and tOSU are locks with wins next week unless both lose in the conference championship games, then one will be out. If LSU, tOSU and Clemson all win out it will come down to Baylor, Oklahoma,  Alabama and Utah for the last spot. An interesting thing to keep an eye on will be the seeding and where these games will be played. I can tell you as an Ohio state fan,  I would want to play in Arizona unless we are playing a big 12 team or Utah. 

• Forum MVP

First playoff without Bama. With the Wisconsin win over Minnesota,  LSU and Ohio St. are now locks. Oklahoma and Utah need LSU to beat Georgia or have Virginia upset Clemson. I'm interested to see if LSU and Clemson fans would actually travel to Arizona and fill the stadium if they are the 2 and 3 seed. 

• Forum MVP
1 hour ago, bs69 said:

First playoff without Bama. With the Wisconsin win over Minnesota,  LSU and Ohio St. are now locks. Oklahoma and Utah need LSU to beat Georgia or have Virginia upset Clemson. I'm interested to see if LSU and Clemson fans would actually travel to Arizona and fill the stadium if they are the 2 and 3 seed. 

The answer to your last question is YES.....very enthusiastic fan base for both teams.

• Forum MVP

Playoff is now set and is really set up for LSU. They get the one seed and play Oklahoma in Atlanta and the championship game is in New Orleans. Championship games should not be home games. I'm hoping Ohio St. can get some payback this year and beat Clemson in Arizona to get the bad taste if 2016/17 out of their mouth and the 2007 championship game against LSU also played in New Orleans. How about they schedule a championship game in Indy?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP
15 hours ago, bs69 said:

Unfortunately the best two teams won't play for the final.

I realize this is still a raw topic for you, so please know that I understand that, but I never get this sort of argument.

They played the semis.  The best two teams won.  That’s why they play the games.

Outcomes matter.

Buckeye fans should be proud of their team, IMO.  So should Sooner fans and their team got dismantled.  Heck, I’m proud of my Irish and they lost to Michigan, hahaha.

Happy New Year!

DD

• Forum MVP
1 hour ago, DesertDead said:

I realize this is still a raw topic for you, so please know that I understand that, but I never get this sort of argument.

They played the semis.  The best two teams won.  That’s why they play the games.

Outcomes matter.

Buckeye fans should be proud of their team, IMO.  So should Sooner fans and their team got dismantled.  Heck, I’m proud of my Irish and they lost to Michigan, hahaha.

Happy New Year!

DD

I'm not complaining about the refs other than the overturned fumble,  which I thought was a terrible call ( I'm admittedly biased), but everything seemed to go Clemson's way. Ohio state was dominating but a couple drops by Dobbins turned TD's into field goals when the game could have been put out of reach. The targeting and roughing the punter calls both allowed Clemson to continue drives that would have been ended punts when their offense couldn't get anything going. A few key plays went Clemson's way when they absolutely had to have them. I thought Ohio State was clearly the better team, but the breaks went Clemson's way,  mostly by the Buckeyes screw ups. Very painful

• Forum MVP

That targeting call ended up being huge - seemed like Clemson was about to trail by a bunch more.  Very surprised with the outcome although Clemson showed some heart gettin up off the mat.  

Since there is technically no longer a rivalry between Michigan and OSU (until/if Michigan ever beats OSU again), this will be the first time I ever utter such words:  I feel bad for Ohio State.  

• Forum MVP
18 hours ago, bs69 said:

I'm not complaining about the refs other than the overturned fumble,  which I thought was a terrible call ( I'm admittedly biased), but everything seemed to go Clemson's way. Ohio state was dominating but a couple drops by Dobbins turned TD's into field goals when the game could have been put out of reach. The targeting and roughing the punter calls both allowed Clemson to continue drives that would have been ended punts when their offense couldn't get anything going. A few key plays went Clemson's way when they absolutely had to have them. I thought Ohio State was clearly the better team, but the breaks went Clemson's way,  mostly by the Buckeyes screw ups. Very painful

The targeting and roughing calls were clear infractions of the rules.  Red zone efficiency is a thing for every team.  As are fumbles.  When is a good time for a fumble?  When you’re beating the shit out of Rutgers?

Like many heavyweight bouts in CFB, a few key plays do determine the outcome.  If a key play went differently, then so would the events that follow.  We can’t pick and choose which plays to change.

Teams create their own breaks and can also impact the other team’s screw-ups.  

Ohio State won about half of that game, it was just the wrong half (not first and second halves, just about 50%, it seems).  Clemson getting off the mat and adjusting to what OSU was doing was pretty special from a non-fan perspective.  Most teams would have lost that game by 40.

As someone who watches CFB and likes neither of these teams, I promise that Ohio State was not “clearly better”.  But, again, a lot to be proud of with that team.  Day has transitioned beautifully and they are within the elite top-tier.  If that game is played ten times OSU would likely win 4-6 of them.

if you see more of a tilt than that, it is only through SCARLET and gray glasses.

Archived