Ken Burns Country music documentary

bs69

• Forum MVP

I saw it. Great documentary, I learned a lot. At one point, someone was talking and the background music was the lyrics, ‘I ‘d rather drink muddy water, sleep in a hollow log.... I always thought those lyrics were part of early versions of I know you Ryder. Apparently, it’s an entirely different song. Anybody? 

That was from a Jimmy Rodger's tune.  At one point of the show, Marty Stewart was naming off country stars that had covered Jimmy Rodgers.  They had a photo of Jerry up on the screen but the words just wouldn't come out  his of mouth as to who it was.  They held the photo of Jerry up for what seemed a long time.  Jerry recorded a version of Blue Yodel # 9 (Standing on the Corner) by Jimmy Rodgers.  He played with David Grisman on that recording.

• Forum MVP

I thoroughly enjoyed that documentary. I love how it can be brought all the way back to it’s conception. Reminds me of the Grateful Dead and the acid tests, etc. it also flashed me back to something I had seen or read about the Harry Smith anthology of American Folk music. (?) it seems that Jerry and the boys tapped into this in their beginnings. I also read, in Reader’s Digest of all places, that When Jerry was little, his grandmother was into bluegrass and always had the radio playing Bill Monroe. Totally way cool.

• Forum MVP

Yea, I noticed that they would lock on to one star and go into great depth, detail. I understand the Carter Family story and their contributions, I get it. Then they went all in with Jimmie Rodgers. It gave me the impression that he was the only person singing country music when he had his moment in the sun. I’m sure that’s not true.  I’m not so sure that a fair picture is being painted. Something has to be left out to go into such detail with certain stars. 

• Forum MVP
On 9/16/2019 at 2:36 PM, stdilbert said:

... They had a photo of Jerry up on the screen...

I'm glad someone else noticed Jerry. They named all the other stars that were shown in that sequence but not Jerry. I wonder if there was a behind the sceans disagreement  among the producers wether to include Jerry or not and the photo and not saying his name was a compromise.

The show is an excellent history as well as entertainment. The songs and music bring back memories from many years ago such as being at the old Ryman Auditorium for the Grand Old Opry show in the mid 1950's.   If you haven't seen the first two chapters, I recomend you find the time to watch. If you pay attention you will see links to Gratefull Dead music and catch lines in songs that are reflected by our current bands....sometimes the same song and sometimes a twist on the same old story.

Peace and Love,

Doc

Wow, this is a great thread. I loved the line...went something like this..."All American music comes from the same place, country followed the fiddle" Does that mean Rock and Roll followed the guitar? Maybe. 

While one of the old schoolers was being interviewed, he said "he and Willie Nelson were naming their favorite Jimmy Rogers songs, they were still going at 50. Jimmy seemed to be an artist that was very important to the early country scene and is still important to the current culture. That aside, I too lost a bit of interest near the middle of the Jimmy Rogers onslaught. I think most hard core country music fans probably couldn't get enough.

Peace

Joe

I saw the 1st episode.  Never heard of Jimmy Rogers before.  Listened to a bunch of his songs over the past couple days.  It's amazing how much music is out there that I've never heard of.  I was listening to the Big Steve hour a couple weeks ago on GD Sirius channel and he was talking how him and Jerry used to listed to old recordings of Frederic Chopin.  Never would have went out of my way to listen to that.  Awesome music and he was Polish, which makes him 1 level cooler ;) . 

• Forum MVP
On 9/18/2019 at 8:26 AM, Michael Doc Watson said:

I'm glad someone else noticed Jerry. They named all the other stars that were shown in that sequence but not Jerry. I wonder if there was a behind the sceans disagreement  among the producers wether to include Jerry or not and the photo and not saying his name was a compromise.

The show is an excellent history as well as entertainment. The songs and music bring back memories from many years ago such as being at the old Ryman Auditorium for the Grand Old Opry show in the mid 1950's.   If you haven't seen the first two chapters, I recomend you find the time to watch. If you pay attention you will see links to Gratefull Dead music and catch lines in songs that are reflected by our current bands....sometimes the same song and sometimes a twist on the same old story.

Peace and Love,

Doc

Unfortunately I didn't catch any Doc Watson mentions

• 4 weeks later...

Archived