Giants Stadium Box Set

BillK522

• Forum MVP

Christmas in September.

All warm and fuzzy opening my box set.

They do a great job packaging these things.

Thumbed through the book, scanned the lists.

Dead said it would drop on 9/20, ups driver

was at the door at 4.

Looking forward to the library burn in.

Praise DSO.

• Forum MVP

It would be easy to sleep on this release given the era involved, but that would be a big mistake.  The sound here is absolutely glorious, and the playing quite solid.  Although I don't think the '91 shows sound any better than the others, these were the only live Dead shows to be mastered in 48 tracks.  Nice little footnote.

I cued up the Black Peter from '91 upon Hunter's passing and was thoroughly haunted by it. There's a little jam at the end, led by Phil, before they go into Throwing Stones, that was one of those true Dead moments where it seemed they were giving it some extra effort because Black Peter had suddenly become somewhat autobiographical and The Boys were playing for Robert.  Funny how The Dead can hit you like that again, and again, and again....

6/16/91 has been the big surprise for me.

Only negative is that the pre drums do not have any of the usual big jam songs.  An Estimated after the Rider would have been perfect.

Agreed about the Black Peter - spring/summer 1991 had incredible versions - Shoreline and Vegas being standouts.

• Forum MVP
6 hours ago, John A said:

I cued up the Black Peter from '91 upon Hunter's passing and was thoroughly haunted by it.

‘91 was pretty damn awesome.  The Fall was outstanding IMO.  So much fun ❤️  This Black Pete haunts 

https://archive.org/details/gd91-09-05.sbd.gardner.5559.sbeok.shnf

The  Sugar Mag that followed was the best of the year of great Sugar Mags.  Best I ever saw!  Here’s the AUD of it.  

https://archive.org/details/gd1991-09-05.fob.GEMS.91803.flac16

I would strongly encourage everyone to give both a spin....

Archived