RIP Robert Hunter

found

• Forum MVP

Oh no.  wow….

“It is with great sadness we confirm our beloved Robert passed away yesterday night,” Hunter’s family announced in a statement. “He died peacefully at home in his bed, surrounded by love. His wife Maureen was by his side holding his hand. For his fans that have loved and supported him all these years, take comfort in knowing that his words are all around us, and in that way he is never truly gone.  In this time of grief please celebrate him the way you all know how, by being together and listening to the music. Let there be songs to fill the air.”

• Forum MVP

Just think of the infinite, because it will ever end, positive influence his words had on an infinite number of human lives. His words gave us hope. They also gave us a sense of reality to this world we live in. A bit of, not really fatherly advice, but more like an older brother or friend. ‘ hey, watch out for this. you’re gonna see this. Heads up.’ ‘ words to live by’ was my go to response when I repeatedly, over the years, tried to get my parents to comprehend the magnetic pull. My most satisfying shows were the ones where the right set list filled the night with ‘ a talking to’ from Jerry, delivered with soulfulness,  left me better off because of it. Robert Hunter’s words were calming and inspiring. Robert Hunter’s words are a large part of who I am. 

....look into any eyes you find by you. You can see clear through to another day. 

• Forum MVP

One of the only lyricist Dylan would collaborate with. An eternal legacy left behind. Etched in stone. Thank you Robert Hunter for giving me words stitched together in a way that evokes every emotion my body is capable of experiencing. My wife is the only other person carrying that mantle. You and Jerry have a ball catching up!!

• Forum MVP

Grateful for your gifts so beautifully shared. For Robert Hunter : 

Spinning Wheel 

Like finely spun gold, he wove words that captured  light and dark 
Imparted the mystical and inspired noble heart
Wordsmith forged  life into stanza as lore
Some phrases held two faces,  the sides of a coin and what more 
The what for as a beacon travelers seek
The belief the weary whisper as times look bleak
A river of love  that lives through the storyteller’s sight 
The nuance, the plain and the obvious unite 
And pin our hearts to a star  to be wished upon. 

• Forum MVP

Such a huge loss but his legacy is a force that will be felt until the end of time.  His words are a beautiful tapestry of colors, textures, and dimensions that have all been woven into the deepest fabric of my soul.  I'm so very grateful to have heard and felt his words - they are part of me forever.

Rest Easy Robert. 

• Forum MVP

Phil penned a poignant tribute.  Good on you, Phil.

I am heartbroken. Last night we lost Robert Hunter. As much as anyone, he defined in his words what it meant to be the Grateful Dead. His lyrics, ranging from old border ballads to urban legend, western narratives and beyond, brought into sharp focus what was implicit in our music. A case in point is “Box of Rain” - he heard so deeply what my feelings were when I composed the music, feelings I didn’t know I had until I read his lyrics. The lyrics he wrote for Jerry likewise tapped into the very essence of Jerry’s heart and soul - drawing forth the music living there. Significantly, the very first lyric Robert wrote for us was “Dark Star”, which became the definitive GD exploratory vehicle.
So fare thee well, rh, when my time comes I’ll be looking for you and Jer out there in the transitive nightfall of diamonds.
Love,
Phil

• Forum MVP

This is a good time to point folks to a Robert Hunter recording I made with my late friend Rob Darroch at the Warfield Theatre in 1990.

Raise a glass to the great poet as you cue up Mountains of the Moon, which was a duet with Tom Constanten who had opened the show.  I submit that it's a thoroughly haunting rendition.  My other go to here is Reuben & Cherise, where Hunter does a falsetto voice for the Cherise lines.  The stunning quality of the recording (if I may say so) really gives the Mountains extra oomph.

https://archive.org/details/roberthunternovember261990warfieldtheatersanfranciscocasetiii

Archived