Top shows of 2019

cusnjohn

Here are the best shows I saw in 2019:

Billy Strings - August - Four Corners Folk Festival - Pagosa Springs, CO

Headlined this up and coming festival. Tore it up in every way. Amazing.

DSO - 5/24 - Jubalee - Thornville, OH

My favorite of the 3 shows - Marcus King sits in on a blues tune. The second set

took off quickly and kept going, St Stephen into The 11 was great. 

Amy Helm - July - Santa Fe Plaza - 

Best of the free summer shows here. Soulful while paying fine tribute to her dad.

Rarities like a song from the Hawks days, a nice choice from Big Pink, and a song 

Levon sang to her from his last days in the hospital. Great show.

Grateful Ball - August - Rhythms on the Rio - Southfork -CO (my favorite new fest)

A collaboration of several bands playing this fine fest; including The Traveling McCourys,

Vince Herman, Larry Keel and folks from the Infinite String Band played a fine set of Dead tunes.

Molly Tuttle - Four Corners Folk Festival - Pagosa Springs, CO

First time seeing this flat picking shredder. Strong song writing and a very good 

band, except for the hired lead guitarist who posed a lot. Looking forward to seeing

her again.

Marty Stuart & the Fabulous Superlatives - May - The Liberty - Roswell, NM

Fun roadhouse venue. Able to stand two feet away from Marty and Kenny and see the

magic up close. A band worth seeing anywhere, any time. Not as wide ranging as the Lensic show last year.

The Juice - April - Tin Roof - Memphis, TN

Young band from Boston playing a wide range of sounds; Blues, Pop, Southern Rock, Rap. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Forum MVP

Billy Strings tour closer at the Vogue June 29 where he dropped a meet me at the creek as a second encore (unfortunately I missed DSO in cincy that night)

The Who at Deercreek, noticeably better than the 2017 Louisville show.

Emmylou Harris at the symphony hall in Atlanta on a beautiful sunny Sunday in November, we got a "home sweet home"

Del Mccoury Band at the Dayton art Institute November 22nd

Star Wars The Rise of Skywalker opening night

The Comet Bluegrass Allstars, also in November when Ed Cunningham pulled off a stunning rendition of The Wreck of The Edmund Fitzgerald (if you've ever tried to memorize this song, you  can appreciate the magic)

• Like (+1) 4
On 1/14/2020 at 8:01 PM, Ammagamalin Crew said:

in November when Ed Cunningham pulled off a stunning rendition of The Wreck of The Edmund Fitzgerald (if you've ever tried to memorize this song, you  can appreciate the magic)

One of the greatest songs ever, Tony Rice's rendition is the definitive version for me. 

• Like (+1) 1

got me beat by 2

Warfield was magic especially the second night, but the best of that tour wasn't until the very end.

2019-02-23 - Saban Theater - Beverly Hills, CA [1983-09-06]

Saint Augustine was glorious.

2019-03-29 - St. Augustine Amphitheater - St. Augustine, FL [elective (old school) + 1969-03-29 (50th anniversary show)]

Best Jubilee ever!

I was unexpectedly moved to tears by Peter Rowan at Black Mountain - So glad I went.

The Jubilee, Black Mountains, Boulder/Red Rocks, and the entire newyears run were all incredibly special and important to me - It seems blashphemous to even try and choose, but to cap it at 5 I will go with:

2019-05-26 - Legend Valley - Thornville, OH [1988-04-30]

2019-09-08 - Red Rocks Amphitheatre - Morrison, CO [1983-09-08]

2019-12-31 - Wellmont Theater - Montclair, NJ [elective (3 sets)]

It was a very good year.

I'm incredibly grateful.

I love you all so much.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Forum MVP

I’m pretty sure I broke my yearly record of 10 a year this year

Louisville

Cincy on the river

Egyptian room

Black Mountain X2

Jubilee X3

and the Colorado three pack.
Feels like I’m forgetting one

the Boulder shows stand out but it may just be recency biased. Red rocks was bittersweet because even tho the show was unbelievable, I had had so much fun out there I was already depressed about having to come back home the next day. I see why so many heads live out there. If it weren’t for the boys I’d transplant my ass out there tomorrow 

• Like (+1) 2