Saturday Warfield

John A

• Forum MVP

Yeah, I know, early to start this thread, but as I'm going to the show I grant myself such privilege.  😛

Here's my set list thus far:

Dark Star

Who so cavalier 2 shows in advance? Well, there's been no Star yet on the tour, and given tonight is pre-announced as 2-14-70 there will no Star there either. Moreover, Jeff will be playing Alligator Saturday, the guitar through which arguably the greatest Dark Stars ever were channeled.  How could DSO proceed otherwise? 

See here how everything

Lead up to this day...

• Like (+1) 5
  • Forum MVP
On 2/14/2020 at 1:40 PM, John A said:

Yeah, I know, early to start this thread, but as I'm going to the show I grant myself such privilege.  😛

Here's my set list thus far:

Dark Star

Who so cavalier 2 shows in advance? Well, there's been no Star yet on the tour, and given tonight is pre-announced as 2-14-70 there will no Star there either. Moreover, Jeff will be playing Alligator Saturday, the guitar through which arguably the greatest Dark Stars ever were channeled.  How could DSO proceed otherwise? 

See here how everything

Lead up to this day...

I'll second that emotion...

Have a kick-ass show tonight John

• Forum MVP

Whoops - 2-14-70 has an early show, which of course has a Dark Star.  How could I have been expected to keep track of a 4 song show?!? 😟

DSO did 5-3-72 Paris, and Alligator sounded great. Jeff seemed to really enjoy playing it.

5 Pigpen songs, with Lisa on harp for Next Time You See Me and Hurts Me Too, the latter being a stunner.

My favorite segment was Good Lovin' / Sing Me Back Home.  Maybe the best I've heard DSO sound. Jeff and Rob B has a great synergy happening during the long, powerful Good Lovin' rap.

Also the Other One > Bobby McGee > Other One in set 2 was epic. 

The band got permission to go until 12:30AM, and they needed almost every minute of it. These Europe shows don't let up!  What a treat to see it recreated with the same guitar that gave us the original.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Forum MVP

5/3/72 - Olympia Theatre 

Bertha, Me & My Uncle, Mr. Charlie, Sugaree, Black Throated Wind, Chinatown Shuffle, China Cat Sunflower-> I Know You Rider, Beat It On Down The Line, He's Gone, Next Time You See Me, Playin' In The Band, Tennessee Jed, Good Lovin', Sing Me Back Home, Casey Jones

Greatest Story Ever Told, Ramble On Rose, It Hurts Me Too, Truckin'-> Space-> The Other One-> Drums-> The Other One-> Me And Bobby McGee-> The Other One-> Wharf Rat, Jack Straw, Sugar Magnolia, Not Fade Away-> Goin' Down The Road Feelin' Bad-> Not Fade Away 

E: One More Saturday Night

• Like (+1) 3
2 hours ago, PoetryGirl said:

So was it a case of using what you have and experimenting at Alembic? Innocent question and limited experience in musical instruments : if Jerry was looking for a country sound, wouldn’t a Telecaster served his purposes? 
https://www.fender.com/articles/gear/iconic-mods-how-jerry-garcias-alligator-strat-earned-its-claws

Surely seems like it, as Jer's aim was to emulate the "Bakersfield sound" - but he also made use of the Strat's middle pickup, and the Alembic "strat-o-blaster" preamp helped maintain consistent volume, especially when he used a wah-wah pedal.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP

Sadly, balcony tapes from the Warfield are historically mediocre and this is an upper balcony recording so even worse.  There was a mic stand set up by the soundboard (just behind the drink rail) in the sweet spot. I didn't get the impression that this was a band deal, but maybe it was.  If this is something that will be circulating though it should be FAR more preferable than what is linked here.