'76 Box Set.....

acududeman

• Forum MVP

The Grateful Dead will release the June 1976 box set via Rhino on March 20. The five-show, 15-CD collection includes previously unreleased recordings of the band’s June 10 and 11 shows at the Boston Music Hall, June 14 and 15 concerts at New York City’s Beacon Theatre and June 19 performance at the Capitol Theatre in Passaic, New Jersey.

I was just listening to the 6-11-76 last night.  I love those boards. “Previously unreleased” is sort of nonsense as great boards are all out there for these. And weren’t some of these in a dicks picks already?

• Forum MVP
16 hours ago, LangeradoSoul said:

Gotta admit. I’ve went through feverish neurotic episodes with specific Shows and tours from most years (1967-1991 specifically), but 1976 fails to excite me. I know the cool jams that are unique to some shows that year, but overall, it’s my least favorite. 

Well I hear ya, but I gotta admit I'm a total '76 slut and just love the flavor of that June run,,fresh in off the hiatus. '76 is one of my favs ,,,the drippy St. Stephens, the return of Cosmic Charlie, Mission in the Rain!, Donna at the top of her game,,,fresh crazy fingers....I find it all tasty gravy.

Looks great to me. I pre-ordered first and and looked at the contents second. What struck me was (perhaps I misread it) all the Lazy Lightening/supplications night after nite, how great that must have been.....

• 2 months later...
  • Forum MVP
On 2/21/2020 at 6:59 PM, Tea said:

Jazztastic 

76? Interesting assessment.  I would argue against it. 72-74 falls more in there category of jazzy to me with 76 representing a return to simplicity and danceability.

• Forum MVP
4 hours ago, robeatondso said:

When I restored these I told Betty they were the best live tapes I’ve ever heard..

image.jpeg.a6a9428573b48343f994a0c2c3aaae74.jpeg

What a shot!  Wow!

6-14-76 Slipknot should be singled out for its uncompromising genius.  Incredible 10 min of music.

• Forum MVP
41 minutes ago, joel said:

76 is to 77 as 84 is to 85.  Huge fan of 77 and 85... Not so much 76 but Boston is a highlight of 76

You need to revisit those positions. 

First, '84 rocks just as hard as '85.  It's just that '85 has the more interesting set lists and the more unique material.

Second, '76 has an aura that, while perhaps a bit lost in the subsequent evolution that became Dead '77, is a peak-of-band moment in time and is as important as any year in the 70s, IMHO.  As I said, understated perfection. It is the portal through which one seminal iteration in the Dead's history morphed into another.

Happily revisit 76/84...and I already agree the reason I probably prefer 85to 84 includes your reason the 85 set lists are more appealing, but that counts.  I still hold 77 eclipses 76 but yes some east coast 76 sets are amazing.  As legendary as it is, as many times as I play it,   Cornel 77 is pinnacle,as are the Richmond 85 sets. 

Can you suggest a 76 set that will change my perception of the year. Maybe  Beacon 76 is a good candidate.    

• Forum MVP
6 hours ago, joel said:

Can you suggest a 76 set that will change my perception of the year. Maybe  Beacon 76 is a good candidate.    

Orpheum run?

• Forum MVP
7 hours ago, joel said:

Go to this 4 show sequence in late September:  9/24 William & Mary through 9/28 Syracuse.  Particularly 9/28.

And Richmond '85 is the bomb!  What a 2 night run.

• Forum MVP
11 hours ago, John A said:

Go to this 4 show sequence in late September:  9/24 William & Mary through 9/28 Syracuse.  Particularly 9/28.

And Richmond '85 is the bomb!  What a 2 night run.

Halloween 85 Columbia S.C. followed by the Richmond shows

Road trip I remember well...Great year...

Partial to 77 as that’s when I hopped on the bus...so unapologetically biased.

Right on. Heading to archive org to check William and Mary show then to Cap/ New York shows , looks like a second set help slip Frank !  Glad we all agree on Richmond 85.  When Phil belts out "LOVIN" during the gimmi some lovin....get goose bumps every time.  

I'm from the Brent generation btw, wish I got a chance to show my appreciation before the tinley park shows ended.  

Archived