02/22/20 Los Angeles Wiltern theater

tombellanca

Phil started playing Mission Control in 74. 46 years ago today the band played their first show of 74. Mission Control's first show. Wall of Sound unofficial first show. US Blues, Roses and I believe Loose Lucy first show

There is only 3-4 three set shows in 74 and this happens to be one. I think they played 3 sets to dial in the wall of sound. I don't think DSO has played one of the 3 set shows from 74 but I have been wrong plenty of times in my life.

Me thinks 2/22/74 for LA tonight. Wish I was there. The band seems to rock LA winter west coast every year.

Maybe they will close tour with another "Wild Thing". That was great in Portland!!!

• Like (+1) 1
40 minutes ago, daytrip16 said:

Me thinks 2/22/74 for LA tonight. Wish I was there. The band seems to rock LA winter west coast every year.

That show fills the bill with the anniversary date, and I think you're right that they haven't played it before. But I'm not sure the Mission Control bass had debuted until June... Has DSO every played the Iowa 6-16 sets? 

another possible contender (per my perusal of the DSO database) would be the last retirement show, 10/20. And of course it's a beast of a show.

Edited by Eyeball Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1

I'm tossing out 10/18/74, DSO hasn't  played it, and that show also contains the greatest recorded video of Grateful Dead history, the magnificent Morning Dew from The Grateful Dead Movie, which features Phil laying out a huge bomb at the apex of the walk up, relishing in the splendor with an enormous, goony grin on his face. Phil makes that Dew really special, in my opinion, with his fills and overall playing, and all the juicy bombs. Either way, I hope you guys get a Dew tonight so Skip can have the pleasure of blasting the audience with some great bombs.

• Like (+1) 5
33 minutes ago, Hardpan said:

I'm tossing out 10/18/74, DSO hasn't  played it, and that show also contains the greatest recorded video of Grateful Dead history, the magnificent Morning Dew from The Grateful Dead Movie, which features Phil laying out a huge bomb at the apex of the walk up, relishing in the splendor with an enormous, goony grin on his face. Phil makes that Dew really special, in my opinion, with his fills and overall playing, and all the juicy bombs. Either way, I hope you guys get a Dew tonight so Skip can have the pleasure of blasting the audience with some great bombs.

Man, that would be FANTASTIC!!!!

11 minutes ago, tombellanca said:

I think it’s just as possible to do something really special and different ie. never done and not just a gd set list recreation. 
not sure what that would be though... :)

but I love keeping my options WIDE open

I’m open to surprises.

but here’s a thought: 10-20-74 would be a combination single/double drummer set. Is that something they’ve done before?

Just a thought.

Jack Straw

Loser

Uncle

Big river

PeggyO

Lazy lightning

Supplication 

Sunrise

Stagger Lee

Let it Grow

China cat

I know you rider

Not fade away

Dark star

Drumz

Shakedown Street

Low spark 

One more Saturday night 

Gdtrfb

Nfa 

It was -just- a never been done before elective. :)

To my ears first set sounded like a 1977/78 set

and set two was totally 73/74

I may be missing a set two song. 
Nfa and dark star were both about twenty minutes and drumz was really long. 

Edited by tombellanca
Edir
  • Like (+1) 1