It is my opinion....

Taper Ron

4 hours ago, Mason's Child said:

I forget that some of you were okay with Japanese concentration camps. This may be a nothing to see here event for you. 

I'm not quite that old, Mason and I am not and would not have been OK with Japanese Internment!  I'm sorry you have such a low opinion of me.  As for answering your questions there are way to many to keep up with.  When is enough enough, I suppose the answer is different for everyone  how the fuck am I supposed to answer that?  Whatever my answer is I believe you would have a problem with it.

As for your phone it sounded like you were saying the virus was transmitted by the phone, not on the phone.  But don't you think if you have the phone close to your face and someone coughs and it gets on the phone it might be on your face also.

I'm willing to listen to the Doctors and Scientist and take what politicians and biased news media have to say with a grain of salt.  I am old and have medical issues so yes I am willing to stand for more than I would when I was young, dumb and full of .......

I'm sorry believing postponing a tour stirred up so much hate!!

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

It is possible that I am the fascist fossil he was commenting about too. And if military-enforced quarantine curfews enforced by shoot to kill orders seems to offend sensibilities, then I have another example of pushing the envelope of the permissible: postponing the release of Black Widow. And the theaters are now closed! Is there no end to the intolerable? My God, how am I supposed to endure the unendurable feeling of my own mortality without first getting Nat's back story and seeing the start of the MCU Phase 4?

Oh, I know! Read a book!

• Forum MVP

Love you guys. I was trying to push discourse as I am bored. Never meant to offend anyone. I don’t have any hate in me. 

Japanese internment was a low blow. I was just trying to throw out an example that I thought we would all disagree with. 

I know DSO had to cancel their tour. I am afraid May your cancellation is coming. I do question whether all this is right but I am in touch with the current climate. Life does just go on. We making the best of the quarantine. 

On a positive note. 

school has just been cancelled through 4/17. More family time coming up. 

• Forum MVP

Family time is overrated. School is so people don’t get sick of their kids when it’s cold and they can’t go play outside all day. I’m bored af 3 days in. Stir crazy is real, not just a top 2 wilder/Pryor movie

• Forum MVP

82BD41AD-79D2-4047-99D0-53B09D7F1BF2.jpeg

This is from an immunologist at Johns Hopkins University. It takes time for us to mount a defense against the COVID19 because it is something humans have never seen before. Many diseases have dogged humans that spring from close contact with animals. Smallpox did that to the Americas. Natives didn’t keep domesticated animals except the occasional dog that took up with the tribe. Their HLA types are different from European people, less diversified. Not inferior, just different.  Imagine 20 people you know; for them, 15 of them died. This explains why some young people are struggling too! Maybe their HLA type is different. Read 1491 if interested 

Avoid NSAIDS. You need all the immune response you can muster. It’s not if, it’s probably when. 

WARNING: Contains science

“ Feeling confused as to why Coronavirus is a bigger deal than Seasonal flu? Here it is in a nutshell. I hope this helps. Feel free to share this to others who don’t understand...

It has to do with RNA sequencing.... I.e. genetics.

Seasonal flu is an “all human virus”. The DNA/RNA chains that make up the virus are recognized by the human immune system. This means that your body has some immunity to it before it comes around each year... you get immunity two ways...through exposure to a virus, or by getting a flu shot.

Novel viruses, come from animals.... the WHO tracks novel viruses in animals, (sometimes for years watching for mutations). Usually these viruses only transfer from animal to animal (pigs in the case of H1N1) (birds in the case of the Spanish flu). But once, one of these animal viruses mutates, and starts to transfer from animals to humans... then it’s a problem, Why? Because we have no natural or acquired immunity.. the RNA sequencing of the genes inside the virus isn’t human, and the human immune system doesn’t recognize it so, we can’t fight it off.

Now.... sometimes, the mutation only allows transfer from animal to human, for years it’s only transmission is from an infected animal to a human before it finally mutates so that it can now transfer human to human... once that happens..we have a new contagion phase. And depending on the fashion of this new mutation, thats what decides how contagious, or how deadly it’s gonna be..

H1N1 was deadly....but it did not mutate in a way that was as deadly as the Spanish flu. It’s RNA was slower to mutate and it attacked its host differently, too.

Fast forward.

Now, here comes this Coronavirus... it existed in animals only, for nobody knows how long...but one day, at an animal market, in Wuhan China, in December 2019, it mutated and made the jump from animal to people. At first, only animals could give it to a person... But here is the scary part.... in just TWO WEEKS it mutated again and gained the ability to jump from human to human. Scientists call this quick ability, “slippery”

This Coronavirus, not being in any form a “human” virus (whereas we would all have some natural or acquired immunity). Took off like a rocket. And this was because, Humans have no known immunity...doctors have no known medicines for it.

And it just so happens that this particular mutated animal virus, changed itself in such a way the way that it causes great damage to human lungs..

That’s why Coronavirus is different from seasonal flu, or H1N1 or any other type of influenza.... this one is extremely slippery. And it’s a lung eater...And, it’s already mutated AGAIN, so that we now have two strains to deal with, strain s, and strain L....which makes it twice as hard to develop a vaccine.

We really have no tools in our shed, with this. History has shown that fast and immediate closings of public places has helped in the past pandemics. Philadelphia and Baltimore were reluctant to close events in 1918 and they were the hardest hit in the US during the Spanish Flu.

Factoid: Henry VIII stayed in his room and allowed no one near him, till the Black Plague passed...(honestly...I understand him so much better now). Just like us, he had no tools in his shed, except social isolation...

And let me end by saying....right now it’s hitting older folks harder... but this genome is so slippery...if it mutates again (and it will). Who is to say, what it will do next.

Be smart folks... acting like you’re unafraid is so not sexy right now.

#flattenthecurve. Stay home folks... and share this to those that just are not catching on. 🤓
#reposted”

i believe we are on a 6 week course if you look at China. I don’t really believe what China says though.... the Senators that sold off stock before the crash should go to jail..... 

• Forum MVP
On 3/18/2020 at 8:45 PM, Mason's Child said:

Love you guys. I was trying to push discourse as I am bored. Never meant to offend anyone. I don’t have any hate in me. 

Japanese internment was a low blow. I was just trying to throw out an example that I thought we would all disagree with. 

I know DSO had to cancel their tour. I am afraid May your cancellation is coming. I do question whether all this is right but I am in touch with the current climate. Life does just go on. We making the best of the quarantine. 

On a positive note. 

school has just been cancelled through 4/17. More family time coming up. 

This generational divide is foreign to us. Heck one of the major diversities of GD heads is generational.

Perhaps us “old fogies” can remember a time when you had no chance of catching a virus from your phone because you didn’t have one of the damn things. We don’t need constant electronic device satisfaction with an occasional tribal dance to keep ourselves from going nuts.

The media...all of it is part of the problem. Relying on government was always something I avoided to best of my ability.

I am still uncertain as why this “new virus” is being treated institutionally so different than previous “new viruses” such as H1N1 which no one even remembers.

...we are on are own.

• Forum MVP
1 hour ago, 2muchfun said:

I am still uncertain as why this “new virus” is being treated institutionally so different than previous “new viruses” such as H1N1 which no one even remembers.

...we are on are own.

if you read my above post.... 

• Forum MVP
37 minutes ago, PoetryGirl said:

if you read my above post.... 

So I can be confident next “new virus” will be treated per species origin...that’s a relief. Please inform all media platforms.

Please.....don’t murder me

• Forum MVP

This model shows the projected growth cycle for your region. 

https://covidactnow.org/

On 3/20/2020 at 11:55 AM, 2muchfun said:

So I can be confident next “new virus” will be treated per species origin...that’s a relief. Please inform all media platforms.

Please.....don’t murder me

i don’t know what the hell this means. 

• Forum MVP
47 minutes ago, PoetryGirl said:

This model shows the projected growth cycle for your region. 

https://covidactnow.org/

i don’t know what the hell this means. 

Just thinking out loud... and strange

Although the graphs reveal all or nothing we are already debating that even if accurate is cure worse than disease.

See how fast there is no toilet paper next time the words “new virus” is mentioned...regardless of severity. No logic or proportion.

Something akin to Throwing Stones...we are on our own.

• Forum MVP

The longer we putz around the worse it will be. Every state now has an infection.... and where did it all start? 

Example: 
-Karen got infected yesterday but doesn’t know for 2 weeks. 
-She thinks she is healthy and infects 10 people a day. 
-These 10 people think they are healthy, travel and infect 10 people each, 100 people a day. 
-These 100 think they are healthy and infect 1000. 
-No one knows who is healthy and who is a carrier.

5 hours ago, PoetryGirl said:

Example: 
-Karen got infected yesterday but doesn’t know for 2 weeks. 
-She thinks she is healthy and infects 10 people a day. 
-These 10 people think they are healthy, travel and infect 10 people each, 100 people a day. 
-These 100 think they are healthy and infect 1000. 
-No one knows who is healthy and who is a carrier.

Thank You, that is the point I was trying to make.

• Forum MVP

John Hopkins chart uses confirmed cases. Then models.

This makes no sense mathematically as the data entered is pretty much unarguably way too low. (The denominator for death rate)

Not deaths (The numerator for death rate)which are “easier” to measure as you dont need a kit.

How much we are underestimating cases (regardless of cause) makes a big difference in curve bending and needs.

Flattening a curve and reducing its total area above an arbitrary point are very different things. All communicable diseases exhibit exponential growth.

Can I see a model if our denominator is 100 to 400% off?

Translating the math lessons to the mechanical universe...death rate can be 10 times influenza or 2 times or ?

? = unease...back to math

Yesterday our President kept referring to "...the cure being more harmful than the problem ..." and implying that the problem had something to do with the economy (kinda like "Its the economy, stupid.).  The "problem" IS NOT the economy - Its that PEOPLE ARE GOING TO DIE, STUPID!   Much as I would like to see things return to "normal" (which would include tour dates, Jubilee, etc.), I am more than willing to continue to hunker down until the health care professionals say it is advisable to ease the restrictions.

Trumps press conferences are more like campaign speeches, I'm doing a great job, better than anyone else has ever done (paraphrased).  He talks about bills he signed, have any of them actually been instituted? All the while blaming others for the current situation (mostly China) he says if he had known sooner it would not have gotten to this point. He knew sooner had he taken it seriously sooner instead of making stupid statements like "This isn't like Ebola, you get Ebola and you just vanish". I don't believe that the CIA and DOD etc and their spies and Satellites that no one knew what was happening.

They have the top people on stage asshole to elbow, scratching there noses patting each other on the back (figuratively and literally) with Pence in the middle who brags he has been in contact with infected people and hasn't been tested.

In one press conference Mike Pompousahole was asked questions none of which were answered, actually his answer to everything was I want to thank my staff for all their hard work, or at the direction of the president Me and my staff are doing a great job.  Couldn't stand him when he was Kansas representative.

Meanwhile, back at the hill Congress can't/won't pass legislation.  They continually attach riders to bills that have nothing to do with the main purpose of that bill.  an example no specifics They have a Bill, it's a great thing wonderful for the country, in fine print they slip in Gun Control, or Anti-abortion etc.

On another note I wonder why Iraq and Russia are relatively unaffected.

• Forum MVP
2 hours ago, Taper Ron said:

Trumps press conferences are more like campaign speeches, I'm doing a great job, better than anyone else has ever done (paraphrased).  He talks about bills he signed, have any of them actually been instituted? All the while blaming others for the current situation (mostly China) he says if he had known sooner it would not have gotten to this point. He knew sooner had he taken it seriously sooner instead of making stupid statements like "This isn't like Ebola, you get Ebola and you just vanish". I don't believe that the CIA and DOD etc and their spies and Satellites that no one knew what was happening.

They have the top people on stage asshole to elbow, scratching there noses patting each other on the back (figuratively and literally) with Pence in the middle who brags he has been in contact with infected people and hasn't been tested.

In one press conference Mike Pompousahole was asked questions none of which were answered, actually his answer to everything was I want to thank my staff for all their hard work, or at the direction of the president Me and my staff are doing a great job.  Couldn't stand him when he was Kansas representative.

Meanwhile, back at the hill Congress can't/won't pass legislation.  They continually attach riders to bills that have nothing to do with the main purpose of that bill.  an example no specifics They have a Bill, it's a great thing wonderful for the country, in fine print they slip in Gun Control, or Anti-abortion etc.

On another note I wonder why Iraq and Russia are relatively unaffected.

And at home 6ft from grandma...the kids they dance and shake their bones

• Forum MVP

Problem is the spread is too effective. Total quarantine isn’t possible. Not for most of us at least. I don’t have the supplies. I can not get the supplies without going out. I maintain 6 feet of space but I have to touch doors and packaging and gas pumps and atms. It spreads with 6 feet separation or not. I’m all about continuing to do what the experts and the elders tell me to do. We will continue social distancing. 

we must also accept that a willingness to do so will either lead to a need to postpone the election or an easy win for trump. 

trump press conferences are like political rallies. He’s the only one having them. He’s running unopposed right now 

and he does have a point. Crippling the world economy will lead to people starving, theft, civil unrest and potentially civil war in underdeveloped places. Please don’t underestimate how damaging and life threatening crippling the global economy can and will be. 

• Forum MVP
1 hour ago, Mason's Child said:

Problem is the spread is too effective. Total quarantine isn’t possible. Not for most of us at least. I don’t have the supplies. I can not get the supplies without going out. I maintain 6 feet of space but I have to touch doors and packaging and gas pumps and atms. It spreads with 6 feet separation or not. I’m all about continuing to do what the experts and the elders tell me to do. We will continue social distancing. 

we must also accept that a willingness to do so will either lead to a need to postpone the election or an easy win for trump. 

trump press conferences are like political rallies. He’s the only one having them. He’s running unopposed right now 

and he does have a point. Crippling the world economy will lead to people starving, theft, civil unrest and potentially civil war in underdeveloped places. Please don’t underestimate how damaging and life threatening crippling the global economy can and will be. 

Early on in this thread you were grappling with how far!
15 days may be all we can take one way or another.

Archived