Sign in to follow this  
Tea

Rob Eaton - Reddit AMA - 5/8/20

https://www.reddit.com/r/gratefuldead/

Ask Me Anything *ANNOUNCEMENT* ROB EATON of Dark Star Orchestra will be with us on May 8th at 7pm Mountain. Sure to be a good time. Everyone welcome!

I’d ask:  Are there any emerging artists or genres that inspire you enough to affect how you express the Grateful Dead canon now?

What would you ask Rob?

Wow when you put the "trifecta of devotion" like that it's got an impressive ring to it.

Ignoring the sharing and playing, has Rob ever made a more seminal Dead tape than with Jeff Silberman in Philly 4-21-84?  Beyond this recording in and of itself, the capture seemed to open the door to more spaced omni efforts and even even more large diaphragm microphone efforts.

4 hours ago, deadheadmike07 said:

Good morning everybody,

Tea---thanks so much for the info.

Question: Rob- besides the Grateful Dead/DEAD CO  what band NOW would you travel across the country to see 

Enjoy the day and be safe everybody

deadco? I can guarantee you he wouldn’t travel to see them even though if he was asked in an interview he’d likely give a PC answer as opposed to saying what he really thought. I’m shocked how many hardcore deadheads are actually ok with the music. It’s not gotten better. It was a shit show fall 2015 but it wasn’t a snails pace yet. Now it’s slow and more popular than ever. Have to assume it’s about the party and the chance of seeing monet’s cleavage. 

19 hours ago, John A said:

Wow when you put the "trifecta of devotion" like that it's got an impressive ring to it.

Ignoring the sharing and playing, has Rob ever made a more seminal Dead tape than with Jeff Silberman in Philly 4-21-84?  Beyond this recording in and of itself, the capture seemed to open the door to more spaced omni efforts and even even more large diaphragm microphone efforts.

That is a BEAUTIFUL tape of a monster show. Neumann U-87 is synonymous with Rob Eaton. 

23 hours ago, John A said:

I'll have to listen to this, and would love to know Rob's answer. The last time you recommended a split omni recording (7/15/88), it became one of my favorites.

Yeah that 7-15-88 Sean Weber tape is next level stuff. 

There's a particular Phil load in the Eaton / Silberman 4-21-84 that is haunting. I want to say it's right before China Doll.

1 hour ago, John A said:

Yeah that 7-15-88 Sean Weber tape is next level stuff. 

There's a particular Phil load in the Eaton / Silberman 4-21-84 that is haunting. I want to say it's right before China Doll.

4/21/84 is such a great show and such a great recording. The Slip is one of the sickest ever, and my personal favorite. April 84 is hot, hot, hot! Will have to check out that 88!

How about releasing the sets lists for the COVID canceled shows so we can create a fantasy tour self quarantined dance party? 😍

1 hour ago, Greg from Chestertown said:

How ‘bout DSO does a show, while maintaining proper distances, with no audience,  and live stream it. We can all dance together from home. All at the same time!  simultaneously, alone, together. 

That is a great idea! Not only for DSO, but for other musicians during this time...a way for people to enjoy some 'live' music while stuck at home,, and a way for musicians to be able to make a few dollars during this time of hardship...

The handful of live stream shows that I've watched, DSO, and other bands,,,have been a really cool experience to be able to connect with the music in the moment,,from home.

Holly Bowling played a show from her living room the other day with a virtual “tip jar.” 
I imagine it was a little easier doing it solo but I popped in and out on it and she plays beautifully. I saw a comedian was gonna do something similar but I didn’t watch. 

Yea, I got the idea after watching Steven Colbert. It didn’t work, he wasn’t funny. It can work with music though. It could be an interesting path for the band to go down without the crowd ‘distractions’ yet knowing that a bunch of people are tuned in, taking it in. Of course, only if it can be pulled off in a healthy way. 

Just an FYI on The Relix Channel this Friday (3-20) @ 8:oo pm ET they are playing The Thrill is Gone a tribute to BB King filmed live from The Capital on Sunday Feb 16th, 2020 (this is a FREE stream)---they have a pretty cool line-up --Warren Haynes, Derek Trucks & Susan Tedeschi  just to name a few....be safe everybody 

8 hours ago, Greg from Chestertown said:

How ‘bout DSO does a show, while maintaining proper distances, with no audience,  and live stream it. We can all dance together from home. All at the same time!  simultaneously, alone, together. 

boring. I go to shows for the sound system. Home systems no matter how good can’t come close to replicating the live sound. 

59 minutes ago, Rude said:

boring. I go to shows for the sound system. Home systems no matter how good can’t come close to replicating the live sound. 

I'm not so sure about that......audio/videophile gear, turned up to 11, can get pretty groovy.....😎

1 hour ago, Rude said:

boring. I go to shows for the sound system.

I go to watch Rude’s calisthenic routines

Agree with Rude's statement but only if we specify "amplified live sound." Home systems can do a frighteningly good job of replicating live acoustic sounds.

But as for replicating the power and grandiosity of a large PA at a modest to medium sized theater, no, that's absolutely not possible.  With the caveat that said PA sound might be shit, and no one would ever want to replicate it.  😛  Fortunately with a band like DSO, in today's technological age, that's rarely if ever going to be the case.

I had one of the most profound experiences of my life listening to live/dead through average quality headphones. Just sayin...

I no longer watch music on tv. Did that for a bit and now just listen. Video takes away from the experience imo. 

On 3/19/2020 at 7:24 PM, Rude said:

time to invest where it counts... get a Mcintosh  😍