Pageant show

Guest Samplification

Guest Samplification

Tonight's show at the Pageant was a letdown. JGB is not what I paid to see. If DSO was going to cover JGB they should have let the community know. The music was slow, depressing and repetitive. I was amazed at how the band was able to play covers that were covers and make them all sound the same. Kinda like JGB. After tonight's gigantic rip-off ($22 + a nights work)) and last years Laumier debacle I am convinced that DSO will suck every time they play in STL. I doubt that I will ever pay to see DSO in STL ever again. I'd rather spend far less and see someone actually jam. One final word about tonight's show: YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWNNNN! 8)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest crazy digits

.....those 2 posts seemed eerily familiar....could it be we have one disgruntled fan reviewing the show twice under different aliases?

sorry for your luck..i guess.....it seems a shame you couldn't enjoy it? I do prefer the GD but these guys/gal seem to shine in whatever they do. I have always preached that you must go to a couple shows in a row to really appreciate what DSO does :)

I, personally, have never seen DSO take a night off.

Having seen every show in St. Louis that DSO has ever played with the exception of the first one or two..I think I can do a point counter point to the negative review...firs of all the first part of the show was as follows:

7-21-1976 Keystone, Berkeley, CA

Set 1

Sugaree

Catfish John

That's What Love Will Make You Do

Knockin' On Heaven's Door

After Midnight

Set 2

Don't Let Go

The Way You Do The Things You Do

Stir It Up

Ride Mighty High

I personally loved the JGB show because I have never seen them do it.. and the crowd was responsive (and many of them confused)...I would say the pre generation x'rs had no clue in the world what was going on as many of them kept screaming for "Help On the Way" and "Terrapin"..I was in the trenches dancing so I had first hand knowledge 80 percent of the floor had no point of refrence with respect to a 1976 Keystone show. It was funny..(at least from a grizzled veteran' point of view)

After they completed the Keystone show they kicked into Set 3 which was the highlight for me as one of our local fav's here and good friend of Rob and Dino..Brad Sarno set up on Pedal Steel...They proceeded to kick into a ferocious version of Tangled Up in Blue where Dan went to the Organ..the interplay between John, Brad and Dan..was the height of quality music..into They Love Each Other>Scarlet and into Drums..and with a babysitter I had to head home..so someone else can fill in the blanks.

I thought it was a stellar show particularly with home towner added to the mix..While I disagree with samplification review above..I do respectfully believe that DSO should give a heads up to folks in advance (to the extent they know in advance) if arguably the Co-Star (Eaton) will not be in the mix on a particular night. Particularly in places they play only every 10 Months or so...

Muddy...

I understand your frustration but also agree it's worth trying to see a couple nights...I recently took a longtime deadhead to see DSO at the Mystic in Petaluma and Martin Fierro sat in...The setlist was somewhat influenced by the presence of Martin and was "light" on GD tunes...He had a very good time nonetheless but did mention his wife would not have enjoyed the song selection and was hesitant to bring her (I have got tix for them both for GAMH in March) So i sympathize yet encourage you to give them another shot...These folks are gigging so much that I'm sure they enjoy a departure into non GD tunes on occasion...In terms of the cost of the show..22 bucks is very reasonable...that only gets you a good lunch with tip here in the SF Bay area...

Peace...

Co-Star??

Hah..I said arguably :wink:

That proabaly was the wrong choice of words as it is collaborative...

But Rob is a big draw...No question about it...

The Crowd was completely and totally into the show last night...no question about it....Samplification was in the minority...

Guest Samplification
.....those 2 posts seemed eerily familiar....could it be we have one disgruntled fan reviewing the show twice under different aliases?

sorry for your luck..i guess.....it seems a shame you couldn't enjoy it? I do prefer the GD but these guys/gal seem to shine in whatever they do. I have always preached that you must go to a couple shows in a row to really appreciate what DSO does :)

I, personally, have never seen DSO take a night off.

Not the same person but Broken Glass and I did see the show together. We both agreed to post on this site as we thought something needed to be said. I have seen around 30 DSO shows and 86 GD shows during my life. Not to mention countless other bands. I just didn't enjoy last nights show. I wasn't alone as several people in the very quiet crowd agreed. Lauimier last year was just as sleepy. Every band has an off night but two in the same city within 6 months of each other is too much. I'll probably give them another shot but for my money I'd rather see Jake's Leg. 8)

I can see that being a disappointment. You come to show to see the best damn GD band in the land and get something else...bummer! Don't let that keep you from coming back though, they most certainly will NOT suck every time! I promise!!!!

I personally hope and pray for a JGB show when they come through here, no offence to Mr. Eaton of course but I can't tell you how bummed I get when I see I missed yet another JGB show.

• Forum MVP

One man gathers what another man spills...

I loved the LOMA show - circumstances dictated a short set but there was room to dance and the music, as usual, lent my feet wings. As for a JGB show, again fate dictated something other than a GD show, and I would have loved to have been there, or at tonight's show.

Ah, Peoria...

I am glad to read that you will give DSO another chance. Anyhoo, de gustibus non est disputandum.

Safe travels, everyone... :P

Guest crazy digits

Was Eaton sick? If this was planned, it could have been billed as a Terrapin Nation show? I am sorry guys for your lack of love....I have been lucky enough to see this band a hundred times or so and never have seen them do a JGB show :cry: I love it all.

• Forum MVP

My only problem was it wasn't "advertised" as JGB show.

If this was a "planned" JGB show it shoud have been "advertised" as such.

Thats why you have a website!!!!!!!!!!!!

If it was a last minute sh*t happens kinds thing thats understandable but say something!?

As far of the show, no noticeable difference to my ususal enjoyment of the adventure. I had a blast save for the "Music Never Stopped" cries from the ignorant.

One other thing....once it was an obvious JGB performance I could have used a Twist of Fate!! (third set)......lol

See you in Ohio somewhere.....................

I have only seen two DSO shows, the one last night and the one this summer at the sculptur park. While I think they group is talented and I enjoyed both shows I don't think I'm gonna rush out to see another for $22.

Not trying to be an ass, but both were pretty sleepy, and we have a couple of dead cover bands here in the Lou that are pretty decent and those shows are about $5. Are they as good? Prolly not, but pretty close.

Just my .02

Its 2007 !!! where else are you going to hear JGB tunes done to such perfection ? I would have paid $22 per song and then some ...f*cking crybabies. p.s. the only thing the "lou" has that other cities do not is toasted raviolli--yum!

Jerry was in the house last night at the crowded Pageant!!! The show was unbelievable!!! I've attended every DSO show in St. Louis and this show is one of my all-time favorites. I thought it was grate hearing something different for a change in St. Louis. We already have enough live Grateful Dead tunage available to us here in the Lou throughout the week anyway. So something totally unexpected was fine with me. I enjoyed listening to every song. I sang along and danced my ass off the entire evening. Please don't judge the set list on paper...every song was played to perfection. John was in fine form, his lead guitar & vocals were out of this world. Rob was smokin' on the skins! The whole flippin' band was grate!!! Brad Sarno was an added surprise on the pedal steel guitar. The audience was really into the show. Everyone around me to the left of the stage was up on their feet dancin'. Thank you DSO for a real good time!!!

Jerry Garcia Band

07/21/76

Keystone Berkeley

Lineup:

Jerry Garcia: guitar, vocals

Donna Godchaux: vocals

Keith Godchaux: piano

John Kahn: bass

Ron Tutt: drums

Guest URGEDEVIL67

This was my first DSO concert and I enjoyed it. I wasn't too pleased that they did a JGB set but they rocked it! I left after Midnight Moonlight, does anyone know the rest of the songs they played?

Its 2007 !!! where else are you going to hear JGB tunes done to such perfection ? I would have paid $22 per song and then some ...f*cking crybabies. p.s. the only thing the "lou" has that other cities do not is toasted raviolli--yum!

The premise of the DSO is to recreate the Grateful Dead experience, look it up. So when you go to a DSO show and you hear a sleepy JGB show one might be a little unhappy.

And how do you know they were done to perfection if you weren't here?

Why do you feel the need to to call somebody a fvcking crybaby bcause they don't agree with your opinion?

Man, all I can say is I LOVE DSO, sorry for those of you that didn't get your cup filled!!! For me it's the only way!

JGB or the Grateful Dead I feel damn lucky to have this second chance to have my spirit sing!

For those of you who feel it wasn't what you expected I hope you give it another shot, but I do question if maybe it just isn't for you anymore? These guys/gal work damn hard and I'll gladly give them my hard earned $$$.

Love you DSO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This was my first DSO concert and I enjoyed it. I wasn't too pleased that they did a JGB set but they rocked it! I left after Midnight Moonlight, does anyone know the rest of the songs they played?

I don't remeber the third set order but I think there was a Tangled up in blue, Promised Land was the closer and...well some other songs that I can't remeber cause I'm old

Archived