Pageant show

Guest Samplification

Guest broken glass

Samplification is right on the money here! I don't think we're asking the world here. I, for one, don't get a chance to go out much at all, and when I do it costs me money, so I like to know what I'm getting into. I was disappointed at last night's show. 'nuff said.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Man, all I can say is I LOVE DSO, sorry for those of you that didn't get your cup filled!!! For me it's the only way!

JGB or the Grateful Dead I feel damn lucky to have this second chance to have my spirit sing!

For those of you who feel it wasn't what you expected I hope you give it another shot, but I do question if maybe it just isn't for you anymore? These guys/gal work damn hard and I'll gladly give them my hard earned $$$.

Love you DSO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is a setlist from last years Ratdog show that I thought was epic.

compare and contrast if you wanna know where my head is

I: Jam > Tomorrow Never Knows > Mississippi Half-Step > Wrong Way Feelin' > Tennessee Jed > Even So* > October Queen* > The Deep End* > Wang Dang Doodle*+, Lost Sailor > Saint of Circumstance

II: Good Morning Little Schoolgirl*, Althea*, Tanqueray*+#, Little Red Rooster*+#, Dark Star* > Stuff* > Sugaree > Throwing Stones

E: Lazy River Road, Johnny B. Goode*+#

This was my first DSO concert and I enjoyed it. I wasn't too pleased that they did a JGB set but they rocked it! I left after Midnight Moonlight, does anyone know the rest of the songs they played?

I don't remeber the third set order but I think there was a Tangled up in blue, Promised Land was the closer and...well some other songs that I can't remeber cause I'm old

No Promised Land last night. The final song of the night was My Sisters and My Brothers. I also remember from the 3rd set: Tangled Up, Scarlet, Drums & the Wheel. Brad Sarno on the pedal steel guitar was da bomb during the 3rd set!!!

• Forum MVP

I love some JGB, and the setlist looks great from what I've seen... but be that as it may, i can understand how some were disappointed about a JGB show instead of a dead show... mainly because Eaton is a badass (id be pissed too if i went to a DSO show and eaton wasnt there)...

Which leads me to believe that there was a reason that eaton couldnt be there (last minute probably) which resulted in a jgb show...

i agree that if its not going to be a dead show (or elective) then they should be billed as terrapin nation ... but i doubt that they would do the contrary unless it was some kind of last minute thing...

so give them a break st lu! i really doubt that jgb was originally the plan.. hell... at least they didnt cancel all together, right? So please try to understand, and dont let that show sour your taste for dso..

BTW, Been on the boards for almost a year now, and this is THE ONLY negative review of dso i have ever seen....

• Forum MVP

I am glad to see a divergence of opinion being played out here...it doesn't happen all that often. I am not sure that I have ever seen a show itself cause controversy. What a perfect song with which to have ended it:

This world is not our home

We are only passing through

Our trail is all made up

Way beyond the blue

Let us do the very best that we can

While we're travelin' through this land

We can all be together

Shaking a hand

When we make it to the promised land

Namaste - chuck

This was my first DSO concert and I enjoyed it. I wasn't too pleased that they did a JGB set but they rocked it! I left after Midnight Moonlight, does anyone know the rest of the songs they played?

I don't remeber the third set order but I think there was a Tangled up in blue, Promised Land was the closer and...well some other songs that I can't remeber cause I'm old

No Promised Land last night. The final song of the night was My Sisters and My Brothers. I also remember from the 3rd set: Tangled Up, Scarlet, Drums & the Wheel.

I think you are right about the Promised Land and I would have placed Scarlet sooner or later , I'm still old though, that part I'm sure of

• Forum MVP

I agree with jfolks,something had to happen with Rob for him not to be there.This band has always kept their fans best interest in mind.Give them the benefit of the doubt,I am sure an explanation is forthcoming.I am hoping,and praying that everything is allright with Eaton.Peace.

waiting for sunday's show, waking up lazy, like a sunday morning, ................oh, sorry, .......will be near the sdb and gratefully recording, and love gd>dso>the music never stopped> gotta go feed my dog..........named JJ Cale.....................my cup is half full...........opti-jerry-ism...........

Guest crazy digits

everyone is entitled to their opinion....i'm thinking this DSO thing is going to explode anyway...so if a couple folks get off the bandwagon, its OK with me. I like the intimacy and perfection for which they play...I don't have to be there..I KNOW it was tight..whether they do Carly Simon, Neil Diamond or JGB, it will be tight....as a matter of fact, i wish they would do Rat Dog...because IN MY OPINION, Rat Dog absolutely 100% sucks at this point....just my opinion....seriously, lets all have a group hug...EATON couldn't be there and it wasn't like he was trying to punish you guys for coming out....they appreciate your business more than you know....as a matter of fact, send me your addresses and i will send you $22.00 each and we all can be happy again. Seriously! However, if you take me up on this offer, you can never come and see DSO again..DEAL or NO DEAL??

Namaste.

Guest captain420

well, for one, I am glad people come here to voice their opinions....

if the band was Right On, badass...TELL US ABOUT IT...if you were pissed b/c of some reason,,,no dead.....TELL US...

SO thank you to those that tell us WHAT is really up.. if it was all hunkydory then it would be lame,,right,,yin...no yang!

SOrry Robbie missed the show for whatever reason, hope you are welll!

we love dso! ...gonna explode!? ?> :?

Guest crazy digits

I agree buddy..trying to make light of it...got to laugh to keep from crying.....this band is SO damn good, i don't think as many that should, realize....

• Forum MVP

Wow, a heated debate??! I have seen DSO a bunch of times and never been disappointed...Why? Because I never ever thought I would get "that feeling" again. I can't be that picky; I saw the dead at their absolute worst (90s shows) and I still loved every minute. (There was always one moment in Jerry's heroin induced solo that made me feel something I had never felt before.) And when jerry died; my hope died with him.

Along came dso and I'm on the bus again; maybe not a bus but you get the point and it's fun again; and yes, some shows are better than other's but the fact that we are having a discussion at all, means they are doing something right.

Rob eaton wasn't there?!! Obviously, something unexpected came up and he couldn't make it. The band played on and they did their best and improvised, as they always do. The Grateful Dead wouldn't have sounded the same without Bobby screaming out his lyrics, playing his so-so rythm guitar in his short-shorts and DSO isn't going to without one of it's members.

Don't want to be dissapointed? See them as many times as you possibly can and appreciate them for the artists they are- they are much more than a Grateful Dead cover band. As one poster said, i would pay $22 to hear one JGB song performed by John and company.

SP

all i would like to add to this debate is that probably the biggest reason that i got into dso was a show i downloaded from archive a few years back 9/22/01 of them performing the legendary 3/8/80 jgb show from the stone. i had heard bout dso and wanted to hear what they were all about and wow was i blown away. in my opinion hearing a sick jgb show is a welcome part of the package. to each his own. try and get copy of that show though it is truly outstanding the after midnight>eleanor rigby>after midnight is flawless.

• Forum VIP

I want to chime in about the JGB.show....if you are DSO fan you will realize how special and unsual this show was for us fans...Eaton had a committmet that came up last minute and the band had to improvise...back in the 80's if Jerry would have walked out and said Bob is tied up and we are going to let it go JGB style I would have considered that to be an honor...John has done an amazing job with JGB songs over the last year ans deserves alot of credit for last night;s show...I loved it sitting in my roomin Brooklyn on the stream...thank you...I do agree the St. Louis fans should have been given a heads up at least the day before,,,,,live and learn...lets juist enjoy the music and love...no harm no fowl...and on lighter note Kevin looks nothing like Gloria....great sound...lot of fun for a NY Dead Head....see you soon

Guest 333mike

CYA in Chicago Prescott!!!!

HEY EVERBODY IT WILL BE BIRTHDAY SHOWS FOR PRESCOTT NEXT WEEK AT THE PARK WEST IN CHICAGO!!!

How old are you going to be anyway??

P.S. Maybe the band will do a JGB show for his "B" Day!

NNNNNNNNNNNNNiicccccce

P.S.S. Terrific taste in Avatars I might add!!!

:D

Eaton knows how much I love him so I am sure there is no offense here. Being a HUGE HEAD any time I and WE can showcase Johnny doing SOLO JERRY stuff is a major bonus. On another NOTE who asked me anyway. This stuff matters to me. Next time these guys and gals are gonna GRACE us with a setlist like that, I hope they will let us know. No offense Robbie, but for me, that's the shit that makes the WORLD go round. Keep it up kids, WE LOVE YOU ALL.!!!

Anth :D:D

• Forum MVP

Happy Happy Joy Joy

Ren_and_Stimpy_Adult_Party_Cartoon_logo.png

DSO is back on tour!!

...and stirring up controversy!

I'm another who got hooked by a JGB "recreation" - the one with Vince sitting in. But I also agree that Eaton's absence would disappoint me. You guys in STL should hit Peoria tonight. I bet you'll get a show that will make both shows worth your while.

Guest stldead

It may have been a treat for some to see a JGB show, but I was really bummed by it. I have tried to catch the dark star whenever there are near st. lou, lately it is only once or twice a year. I just thought the choice of the show was rather lame, you could have slept through the first set, I thought it seemed more like a rehersal. I honestly thought they were killing time waiting for the other band members to show up!!!

It was a major letdown after having to wait a year to see them again. For a 22 dollar ticket, they did not deliver!

• Forum MVP

iAgain, the only thing I found distressing was the lack of communication between the band and "I".....not musically but the old fashioned spoken or written (in case of website).

I thoroughly enjoyed the show but somewhere in the recesses of my spirit I felt trepidation.....there are several posts on this thread regarding

a DSO explosion........tons of good and bad in that.......my trepidation were thoughts of implosion (due to lack of communication throught the entire performance of Rob's absence) and thats one very ugly feeling to have in your recesses!

Whatever happened, all sucessful enterprises and individuals share something in common: Turning adversity into opportunity.

I'd call a 76 JGB show pretty darned opportunistic and I for one feel extremely happy to have had the chance to see, hear, feel, taste and smell it.

Dittos on the "group hug"

My head still hurts.... Just say it; "I love DSO","I love DSO","I love DSO","I love DSO","I love DSO","I love DSO","I love DSO","I love DSO","I love DSO","I love DSO","I love DSO","I love DSO","I love DSO","I love DSO","I love DSO","I love DSO","I love DSO","I love DSO","I love DSO","I love DSO","I love DSO","I love DSO","I love DSO","I love DSO","I love DSO","I love DSO","I love DSO","I love DSO","I love DSO","I love DSO","I love DSO","I love DSO","I love DSO","I love DSO","I love DSO","I love DSO","I love DSO","I love DSO","I love DSO",...... Until it sticks :D

as a matter of fact, i wish they would do Rat Dog...because IN MY OPINION, Rat Dog absolutely 100% sucks at this point....just my opinion

I think Bob Weir is at the top of his game these days..from the shows I have seen in last 3 years..Respect your opinion..but mine is 360 from yours..I'm surprised that is your opinion from some of the thoughtful posts I have seen from you...I would insert that Latin Phrase from Vegas at this point... :wink:

Guest crazy digits

...we all have opinions..some stronger than others..i just don't like what rat dog delivers...just an opinion...after reading st louis's setlist online, that was an amazing show and i wished i was surprised by that one...i can admit that a heads up should have been put together in case folks decided they didn't want to hear an epic JGB show :?

Archived