Park West

daytrip16

• Advisory Board

Pat Mallanger sat in for almost all of the show...

Best from memory (not in order.....I think)

Liberty, Mississippi Half Step, Mama Tried, Scarlet>Darkstar (this is a first for me), I Shall Be Released, Waiting for a Miracle, Greatest Story, Dancin, St. Circumstance, NFA, Playin, hmmm....... it's all a bit fuzzy...

help me out Eddie...

Guest canam01

What a great show at the Park West tonight. Everything was well played... Bucket, Loser, and Tom Thumb (nice job Kevin!) were especially good in the first set...

Samson and Morning Dew in the second were worth the trip from Arizona alone!!!

Thanks to DSO for yet another worthwhile venture out of town! Judging from the tight squeeze in the Park West and it being sold out for several days, a suggestion might be to start looking for a bigger venue in the old hometown....

• Advisory Board

I'm pretty shocked myself..... god damn Chicago... everytime I fly home from there, I'm so hungover that my head is thumping, my stomach is churning, and some fucking kid is sitting next to me screaming his head off...

Guest crazy digits

Herdy, in that case, take the little whipper snapper from his Mama and calm him with your eloquent words by telling him the sweet innocent story of our trip to the Norva. You would put him to sleep with laughter.

• Advisory Board

i wasn't really in a story telling mood.... infact, the only story I would tell the little bastard, was about the disgruntled hungover deadhead on his way home to go to sleep when the little bastard sitting next to him made his head pound so he choked the shit out of him until his air supply was diminished enough where he fell asleep then the disgruntled man slapped the shit out of his mother for thinking it was funny that her little baby didn't want to sit still on his first plane ride ever...

think he'd like that story?

Seriously though...... every fucking time I fly home from Chicago, there is some asshole making my hungover trip miserable...

I am thinking that maybe I shouldn't drink so much when I am in Chicago, but then reality hit me and I decided that the general public should just stay away from me on my travel days... I think that will work out better..

Guest 333mike

Well Back to the SHOW!!!!!!!! Herdy did you tell 'em it was a three set show (well kind) or a 6 song encore ....technically speaking there was a 2 song encore and 4 song filler but who's counting anyway........

• Forum MVP
That filler was pretty sick, though I was still on cloud 9 from the Black Muddy River...

Encore: Saturday Night, Black Muddy River

Filler: Music>China Cat>Rider>Touch

[/b]

Dammit, why cant i ever be at shows with "3rd set" encores? I've seen plenty of 'em on the setlists page, but every show i've ever been at (or even streamed) has had a one song filler, two if i'm lucky, and they're rarely dead tunes... :( it seems the weight is the filler every other time i see them... never been at a show with a ridiculous encore (minus night 3 at the ledges last year, heard it from my campsite :shock: )

I guess all good things in all good time...

Guest captain420

I think I have caught "The Weight" about 6x....not a big fan....seems to always be the encore or filler like jfo said.

jordan, I second that emotion 8) :shock: !!!! crazy times at the ledges!

Guest Rob Eaton

In the last three years (04/05/06) DSO has used "The Weight" as filler 22 times.. Now remember that's well over 400 shows. Now if you look at 06 closer we only used "The Weight" as filler 3 times. Once in March, April and Dec. Usually when we pull this song to use as an extra it's because we don't have much time left and we really like the song! When it's in a Dead's set list we have no choice. We do also use it in electives. But as a filler it's a rare one!

• Forum MVP

Cap't - -

Couldn't agree more. This was an original set list from a Park West show last summer:

Show #1,253 - Sat, Jun 24, 2006 at Park West, Chicago, IL

Performing 6/24/2006 Original Setlist

1:Shakedown, Minglewood, TLEO, Memphis, Maggie's Farm, Cumberland, Run For The Roses, Passenger, Bird Song

2:Stranger, Stir It Up, Help> Slipknot> Franklin's> Drums> Space> WRS Prelude> WRS Part 1> Let It Grow> Believe It Or Not> Throwing Stones> NFA

Encore: Sisters and Brothers*

The Shakedown opener was amazing, with explosive jamming like a heated 2d set. The whole damn show was good, full of highlights and that magical feeling that every song seemed immediately to be the perfect "next song..." When these guys are good they are indescribable. Last Friday's Park West show, another orig set list, didn't measure up. The first set especially didn't hang together well.

Guest crazy digits

Lost show I saw had a smokin' Shakedown filler. Nice surprise for a '76 show

May I guess?

roosevelt stadium> Joisey> past summer...What a show!!!

• Forum MVP

I was at that show when it was first perfomed by the dead.The first 2 nites, didn't get to see the only fever, but what I do remember was the transtition in between trucken-miracle .Seemed like those 2 were meant to be played together. Great flow Peace-steve

Archived