Orange Peel, Asheville NC 2-9-07 (Full Review)

jackjones

Show #1,359 - Fri, Feb 9, 2007 at Orange Peel, Asheville, NC

Performing 2/9/2007 Original Setlist

1:Revolution, Stranger Dire Wolf, Lazy Lightning> Supplication, Run For the Roses, Greatest, To Lay Me Down, BT Wind, Tom Thumb, How Sweet It Is

2:WRS Prelude> WRS Part 1> Let It Grow> Dear Prudence, Dancin> Bird Song> Drumz*> Truckin> SOTM> Lovelight

Encore: Lucy in The Sky*

It was one of those Fridays that really felt a lot like Saturday. Part of this was due to the fact that we were taken to

Guest leshtricity

This show was absolutely terrific. I have to admit though, I didn't think anyone really liked Lazy Lightning...! But yeah it was a great show...the highlights for me were definitely WRS, Dear Prudence, and SOTM.

I wanted to go to both shows, but I could only make the Fri night one...I'm kicking myself for missing that Est>Eyes...that's my favorite :(

GREAT reviews man. Really look forward to reviews like that.

Anth

thanks for the kind words. That really means a lot to me to log back on and see such encouraging words.

I always mean to write one but this time I actually got around to it. There will be more to come, as the stars appear to be alligning to allow for myself to take the slow train to georgia.

see you soon

"slow train comin"

• Forum MVP
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

You didn't think anyone like Lazy Lightning ?

Holy smokes, and the WAY Robbie delivers it ,WOWIE, it's the knockout punch that gets me every SINGLE time. Oh well to each their own I guess

:D:lol: 8)

double ditto! :shock:

Guest ummagumma

Does anyone else remember hearing a "Cold Rain and Snow" in Friday's first set? I also think I remember a "Throwing Stones" tease somewhere near the end of the second set.

I have grown to be quite fond of the songs I used to hate because I think Rob does them better or tones them down a bit; more subtle....

I completely agree. (Although for fairness I should state that I have always been a Bobby fan and have had a higher threshold for withstanding traditional Bobby cheese)

But Rob also is able to turn it on when neccesary and hit those Bobby yells. Especially in parts like this:

"Get back Truckin' On

(Ha!)

Get back Truckin on

(Ha!)"

etc...

that "Ha!" (or whatever is) is a vocally challenging quick range changing yell that is difficult to accomplish. And Rob delivers. As a matter of fact, here is a picture of him doing just that ("Ha!) just about a year ago in Atlanta in little five points:

(clicky)

getbacktruckinonhamw9.th.jpg

Also consider how much Bob Weir benefited from his interactions with Donna onstage. I think 8 of the last 10 dso shows I have seen have included Lisa (a big thanks for that - love her contibutions). Her vocals take some of the pressure of Rob to sing the background vocals or fill in the spaces.

just rambling now...

/Bobby & Donna laughing together 5-7-77 Boston Garden during the show opener (Bertha) is one of my favorite moments captured on tape.

that was one of the best reviews of this band ive read in a long time maybe its time for "dsobase" to be printed and distributed your review felt like i was there i do agree that the band members are very down to earth and most of the time will talk to you if you really need something or just want to say hi just my two cents :D

You know I used to agree with those statements about Lisa not being there. Again she knows I love her so no offense, but with their recent run on 80's and 90's shows John and Robbie really deliver very well together. That also includes the 2 GRATE keyboard players. The harmonies and singing are just ROCK solid even without Lisa's AMAZING energy and rock SOLID harmonies. IT's all good, and did I ever mention I am real EASY.

:lol::lol: Nice work all, this is good stuff.

Anth

• Forum MVP

Good point...I always end up saying to whoever is standing near me is "there so fucking tight." And one thing i can attest to is the gd of my era, (mid 90's) were not tight. I agree, Lisa provides so much energy, but john and rob certainly hold there own on harmonies... 3 months and counting till princeton...

Guest leshtricity

Yeah I never liked the cheesy Bob songs...LLR is the WORST. No one, and I mean NO ONE wants to hear about freaking street cats 'making love'. I don't care if it's a metaphor or symbolism or what, it's just freaky.

On a different note though, man, I would love to hear some more 90s tunes. I need my Brent tunes!!! We Can Run, completely underrated song...and the only DSO version of Blow Away I heard (Tampa 06) was awesome...Dan tore it up. But I need more! Just A Little Light, Foolish Heart, Lazy River Road! Maybe I just missed a buncha shows or something, I don't know. But I'm a rare deadhead that prefers, yes, prefers the 90s era.

• Forum MVP

Lazy Lightning? Looks Like Rain? Cheese?!?

>sigh<

...to each their own I suppose...

I'm sure DSO will oblige you at some future show. They always do. I've never left a show without having had some new surprise in it.

And THANKS for the big picture of Rob at last Feb's Hotlanta show. I was there and had my face melted, especially on the second night, which is when this pic is from. (I remember that bandana!) Thanks for sharing.

...but go easy on Weir... He's given us a lot to be grateful for.

I feel like we could be wasting OUR time, but here it goes. Since we are talking bout DSO I'll leave Bobby and Donna out of it. When Rob and Lisa do some of those older versions of LLR the harmonies and singing are just outta this WORLD. To have to explain this is , well, is FUCKING INSANE. Sorry , had to say it. No offense all and have a good day all.

:shock:

• Forum MVP

wow, lots of different discussions on this thread...

But Rob also is able to turn it on when neccesary and hit those Bobby yells.

HELL YES HE CAN!!! I love every member of the GD, including bobby. and i really like the bobby yells, squeels and screeches. (estimated- "nah nah! NAAH NAAAAAH!!") I think rob does a Fan-fucking-tastic job with the bobby yells. Rob's truckin yell is superb. I also love it when rob yells in jack straw... " you know he keeps us on the ru-uuuun- RUN -a RAAAN!" I LOVE THAT SHIT! That gets the joint jumpin, energy flowing!! (hey rob, we need more yelps like that!!)

BTW, check out this smokin jack straw complete w/ robbie yell and dank solo :D:D

http://www.archive.org/details/dso2006-05-19.flac16

Hey could anyone post links to shows that rob "screams" in? :)

ALOT of people love llrain and lazy lightenin... me included... and i like the streetcats line!! btw leshtric, brent never played lazy river road.. but man would that of been sweet!!

Guest captain420

leshtricity.....I think it is rather awkward for you to use the words. 'NO ONE.'

You should change your posts to things such as I or myself...Don't speak for others, we can speak for ourselves...not to mention, you are just totally wrong...so many errors..lots of folks like L.L. Rain, LazySupp, and all the badass bobby tunes...

Sure, we need our "brent tunes" but there are other members of the band on stage that MAKE these songs happen...not just bob or jerry or brent, but it is a group effort.

Archived