Drunk Sluts @ dso in Charlottesville, VA 12-5-06 (Anecdote)

jackjones

Show #1,329 - Tue, Dec 5, 2006 at Starr Hill Music Hall, Charlottesville, VA

Performing 12/5/2006 Original Setlist

1:Promised, Big RxR Blues, Me & My Uncle, Roses, Chinatown Shuffle, B T Wind, Stop That Train, Mr. Charlie, Maggie's Farm> Cumberland , Mama Tried, Scarlet Begonias

2:NFA> GDTRFB, WRS Prelude> WRS Part 1> Let It Grow> Dark Star> Drums> China Doll> Uncle John> NFA

Encore: Saturday Night, Brokedown*

Filler: None

with special guest Rob Barraco - One drummer (Dino) - *with Rob on drums - First DSO "Chinatown Shuffle"

I don't want to get too too serious on you but 'drunk sluts' is a bit heavy. Now I'm not pretending I don't use such terms, wouldn't partake in the same discussion under those circumstances, or didn't find your tale entertaining, but I do feel compelled to offer a counterpoint.

Your description may be entirely accurate, and those girls might even embrace that label, if only in private and away from Mom and Dad, but the larger issue (or perhaps it is a risk) raised by your post is the tolerance, or lack thereof, that more experienced Heads have for the younger audience. I'm not saying you are intolerant; it is just that your post offers me the chance to explore a small piece of a larger subject, and I'll try and keep it as short and to the point as possible.

I've definitely noticed more and more young, cute girls at DSO shows, often in packs etc. Some of them behave like the group you describe; most are of course much more understated. Obviously this annoys some people, as many don't have the understanding of the music, and I suppose they can get obnoxious and maybe wear on the band a bit. But the college-age girls I see at the shows, in addition to being consistently attractive, are truly NICE and genuine. It has really made an impression on me, as a nickel and dime social observer; I honestly wouldn't have expected what I've become accustomed to. What is most impressive is that, aside from the occasional brat, they really don't look down on the guys at the shows, who are often older and, on the outside at least, not neccesarily the most desirable males. This would be very easy for these girls to do, but the fact that they are usually kind tells me they deserve a little more credit than most in the "scene", for lack of a better word, would give them. And we can't forget the way their boogying loosens up the tightest of audiences.

JJ I know your post is merely an anecdote (I observed a similar, albeit far more disturbing 2nd set scene in Worcester, MA this Dec) but I think it is one that many people would apply to all of the younger females at DSO shows, which really wouldn't be accurate or fair, in my opinion, and that is why I go to such length. By no means am I taking a shot at you, although I do object somewhat to 'drunk slut', at least in print it appears really nasty, probably far more nasty than as you used or intended it - both live and when composing your post. Plus I'm all for more sexual openness and throwing those terms around lightly can only inhibit furthur - I truly believe, to paraphrase Scalia, that orgies can "ease social tensions" lol.

• Forum MVP

I think it all boils down to just having a plan, a course of action, you know, when encountering what you referred to as Drunken Cute Sluts. I've found that having a plan can make all the difference. If this ever happens again, follow these simple rules: First, find Lookyloo, Second, find Drunken Cute(we'll call them women/girls from now on) Women, Third, introduce said Drunken Cute Women to Lookyloo with some type of Wingman like line of "Ladies, this is Lookyloo, DSO Hotelmaster, Cerebral Enlightenment Coordinator, and all around GREAT GUY

• Forum MVP

ahh the the sorrostitutes....

During our little SW tour last year (5 shows, in 4 cities, 3 states, Thats ALOT of ground to cover in the southwest!) we had at least one sorrostitute encounter each show as we were up front and center at each and every show.

Capn420 is the sorrostitute pimp. in dallas, this cute blond girl has made her way up to the front and was being very giggly and over-excited... highlight was seeing the capn hold her hand and twirl her around like a ballroom dancer... I recall one night in Arkansas were Capn420 was getting LICKED by this girl with a "bull" nose ring. :lol: :lol: too many sorrostitutes, too little time!!

Guest darbysdad
I don't want to get too too serious on you but 'drunk sluts' is a bit heavy. Now I'm not pretending I don't use such terms, wouldn't partake in the same discussion under those circumstances, or didn't find your tale entertaining, but I do feel compelled to offer a counterpoint.

Your description may be entirely accurate, and those girls might even embrace that label, if only in private and away from Mom and Dad, but the larger issue (or perhaps it is a risk) raised by your post is the tolerance, or lack thereof, that more experienced Heads have for the younger audience. I'm not saying you are intolerant; it is just that your post offers me the chance to explore a small piece of a larger subject, and I'll try and keep it as short and to the point as possible.

I've definitely noticed more and more young, cute girls at DSO shows, often in packs etc. Some of them behave like the group you describe; most are of course much more understated. Obviously this annoys some people, as many don't have the understanding of the music, and I suppose they can get obnoxious and maybe wear on the band a bit. But the college-age girls I see at the shows, in addition to being consistently attractive, are truly NICE and genuine. It has really made an impression on me, as a nickel and dime social observer; I honestly wouldn't have expected what I've become accustomed to. What is most impressive is that, aside from the occasional brat, they really don't look down on the guys at the shows, who are often older and, on the outside at least, not neccesarily the most desirable males. This would be very easy for these girls to do, but the fact that they are usually kind tells me they deserve a little more credit than most in the "scene", for lack of a better word, would give them. And we can't forget the way their boogying loosens up the tightest of audiences.

JJ I know your post is merely an anecdote (I observed a similar, albeit far more disturbing 2nd set scene in Worcester, MA this Dec) but I think it is one that many people would apply to all of the younger females at DSO shows, which really wouldn't be accurate or fair, in my opinion, and that is why I go to such length. By no means am I taking a shot at you, although I do object somewhat to 'drunk slut', at least in print it appears really nasty, probably far more nasty than as you used or intended it - both live and when composing your post. Plus I'm all for more sexual openness and throwing those terms around lightly can only inhibit furthur - I truly believe, to paraphrase Scalia, that orgies can "ease social tensions" lol.

Guest darbysdad

As A Father Of A Gorgeous 21 Year Old Girl,Who Has Luscious,Beautiful Friends I Se eNo Malice In JJ ,s

Post.My Girls (As I Call Them) Have Been With Me At A Couple AC HOB's And The Ledges,They Were There For The Music First,Then The Scene,And Perhaps To Make An Old Dude (ME) Feel A Bit Younger

My God They Had A Roarin Time And On Some Occasion Were A Little Heavy Into The Huggin-Kissin Each Other,But To Me,These Were Acts Of Pure Joy That Were Created With The Music DSO Laid Down.

I Say Bring On All The Girls And Let Them Have Fun.I'm Taking Your Post As Purely Observational and Not Judgemental . That Being Said Watch For Darbysdad And The Girls At Penn's Landing And The Ledges.

Peace

It wasn't much of a surprise to me to log on, check the thread, and see that the PC police had issued me a warning. (Quite frankly I expected a feminist.) This file sat on my hard drive as a word file for almost a week till I was like "What the hell, I'll post it."

And even then, I had second thoughts about posting it; after all, "drunk sluts", in many contexts, can sound a little bit like hate speech. I went back to try and edit just the headline (thinking it might be confused with spam) yesterday, and realized the new forum wouldn't allow me (or I couldn't figure out how to) change the headline.

When I saw your reply in the wee hours of the morning, I almost erased my original post with one fatal drunken keystroke. Almost.

But all that is neither here nor there. I think that you can see from the way it was posted, it was not hate speech.

This part really detracted from your argument:

'recentlyconverted said: "...I'm not pretending I don't use such terms, wouldn't partake in the same discussion under those circumstances..."

I will refrain from using a certain "h" word that rhymes with nicorette.

"And if a man among you got no sin upon his hand, let him cast the stone at me for....."

DSO plays college towns, offering the opportunity to observe the sorrostitute in her natural habitat. I think it is great that they come to the shows; like I said, my other non-obligated male friends had a blast with them. Certainly I can recall going to shows when I was single and enjoying being around women, like the ones I described that came to par-ty. Who doesn't like being around people who came to get down?

(I'm not sure where to throw this in, so I'll just put it here: I think if you met me you would recognize me as very tolerant of newcomers to the scene. I'd like to think of myself as someone who helps nourish the desire of newcomers & converts to consume the music and vibes that this wonderful scene has to offer.)

Labels can be dangerous and hurtful: "stinky hippy", "old", "kid", "schitzo", "drunk slut"....

But wearing glowsticks around your neck, having almost no clothing on in 30 degree weather, and dancing while looking at your neighbors and not the band is all attention-getting behavior. (And also outside the norm.)

So then I am kind of at a loss between apologizing and just standing my ground.

If anyone was truly offended by my post, then I am truly sorry. I am not a hateful person. I hope the rest of you were able to recognize the post for what it was: an attempt at entertainment.

peace

Guest captain420
ahh the the sorrostitutes....

During our little SW tour last year (5 shows, in 4 cities, 3 states, Thats ALOT of ground to cover in the southwest!) we had at least one sorrostitute encounter each show as we were up front and center at each and every show.

Capn420 is the sorrostitute pimp. in dallas, this cute blond girl has made her way up to the front and was being very giggly and over-excited... highlight was seeing the capn hold her hand and twirl her around like a ballroom dancer... I recall one night in Arkansas were Capn420 was getting LICKED by this girl with a "bull" nose ring. :lol: :lol: too many sorrostitutes, too little time!!

:D

Jfolks,

I Didn't know you remembered those 'encounters' with the ladies... :lol: :lol:

good times....

Guest darbysdad

Hey JJ - No Harm,No Foul--We are all Kind Folks Here

Expresions,Impressions,Digressions,Down Right Opinions,Are All Welcome Here As Long As They Are Without Malice & Agenda Free

Enjoy The Show Tonite

that's why we love the hook and star hill is a great hall kudos to corrin capshaw and crowd for keeping it under control

if you are ever in town check out the new rest called "x" at the traintrack crossing at 2nd and water.. great ambience and food... i got no reason to pimp it other than that the place really pleased me and rebx

It wasn't much of a surprise to me to log on, check the thread, and see that the PC police had issued me a warning. (Quite frankly I expected a feminist.) This file sat on my hard drive as a word file for almost a week till I was like "What the hell, I'll post it."

And even then, I had second thoughts about posting it; after all, "drunk sluts", in many contexts, can sound a little bit like hate speech. I went back to try and edit just the headline (thinking it might be confused with spam) yesterday, and realized the new forum wouldn't allow me (or I couldn't figure out how to) change the headline.

When I saw your reply in the wee hours of the morning, I almost erased my original post with one fatal drunken keystroke. Almost.

But all that is neither here nor there. I think that you can see from the way it was posted, it was not hate speech.

This part really detracted from your argument:

I will refrain from using a certain "h" word that rhymes with nicorette.

"And if a man among you got no sin upon his hand, let him cast the stone at me for....."

DSO plays college towns, offering the opportunity to observe the sorrostitute in her natural habitat. I think it is great that they come to the shows; like I said, my other non-obligated male friends had a blast with them. Certainly I can recall going to shows when I was single and enjoying being around women, like the ones I described that came to par-ty. Who doesn't like being around people who came to get down?

(I'm not sure where to throw this in, so I'll just put it here: I think if you met me you would recognize me as very tolerant of newcomers to the scene. I'd like to think of myself as someone who helps nourish the desire of newcomers & converts to consume the music and vibes that this wonderful scene has to offer.)

Labels can be dangerous and hurtful: "stinky hippy", "old", "kid", "schitzo", "drunk slut"....

But wearing glowsticks around your neck, having almost no clothing on in 30 degree weather, and dancing while looking at your neighbors and not the band is all attention-getting behavior. (And also outside the norm.)

So then I am kind of at a loss between apologizing and just standing my ground.

If anyone was truly offended by my post, then I am truly sorry. I am not a hateful person. I hope the rest of you were able to recognize the post for what it was: an attempt at entertainment.

peace

I don't have time to quote what I want to respond to etc., so hopefully you can just read along.

"PC police" is a bit much, I didn't say you're evil or anything or shouldn't do it, I was just saying that I found it SLIGHTLY offensive at most. Sorry. I didn't pass a stone over it, and when I say I "wouldn't neccesarily NOT do or say those things", while I'm not saying I WOULD either, I really don't see how that makes me a hypocrite - I'm specifically noting that I am not above any such behavior. Plus I don't think from what I wrote I demonized you at all for the post - I made a general point and noted that I think the terminology was SLIGHTLY bothersome to me. Perhaps the point(s) wasn't clear but I read my post again and it isn't too convoluted in my eyes . In person maybe I would've laughed, maybe I would've cringed, I'm not really sure, either way I certainly wouldn't have gotten in your way. Also I note the fact that it PROBABLY looks a lot worse than it was simply due to it being in printed form, and to me, in that form, and in that context, it is something of a turn off. But that is just me.

I don't think you are really reading what I'm writing - as I thought I made it very clear I wasn't taking a shot at you but making a general, pre-emptive point - but whatever, maybe something was lost in translation as I was mentally juggling a few topics while settling on my one main point, which is: I hope people don't minimize or look down on a larger group just because of the obnoxious behavior of a few.

I realize you think I am being too sensitive, but I think in actuality the reverse is true. I don't see anything in my post that really jumps all over you, and I think it is completely reasonable and fair. Maybe if you read it again you may think differently? I don't think my argument is what you think?

And I didn't expect an apology or feel you needed to give one. I understand where you're coming from, I believe. You are obviously an intelligent guy and a more than capable observer and writer, and hopefully we can hang out sometime. You will see I am far from the PC police. I am just not shy about giving my opinion when I think it's legitimate and capable of being buoyed by reality. Probably not unlike yourself.

• Forum MVP

I've seen a lot of these sorts of chiquitas and actions as described here, and I don't mind them as long as they are not getting between me and the music. When they have yelling conversations is when they are most annoying. So, I'm all for them sucking face if it keeps 'em quiet.

Just my tuppence.

Guest captain420
:cheers: Captain, I want to hear more of this "Licking the girl with the Bull ring incident." Do tell!

Uncle John, maybe one of these daze when we meet up I could explain the craziness.

But, it was not I that was doing the licking :icon14::blush:

Arkansas chicks = :wacko:

:cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

I do recall one of my 1st times seeing DSO @ Mexicali, my hostess for the evening had an encounter of similar description... As I was enjoying the show, I noticed her and another trippy hippy chick making heavy eye and dancing contact then the next thing I knew I was dancing alone... Space had started and I figured I'd head for the head and as I was by the walkway to the restrooms, I see 2 girls come out of the ladies room hysterically cackling about 2 other girls going at it in the stall... Me being a guy, I had to investigate only to find my hostess and the other girl in XXX mode... Unfortunately my prescence halted the groaping for a moment and I will leave the rest for interpretation, imagination, etc.... :dsorocks:

So, I guess from what I hear, this is not an uncommon event.....

• Forum MVP

Bs69 - couldn't have said it better. What's worse than scantily-clad college girls (nice abs, one hopes...) dancing around in complete party mode? Scantily-clad guys....that's what. If DSO attracted only the folks who were around to see Dead shows in the 70s and 80s (yikes, that's me), I might be spending more time downloading shows than attending them. Party on!

"Mmmm.....UVA girls" - Homer Simpson.

So I've been really busy and when I had time I feared I'd feel compelled to write a lengthy message.... so I stayed away from this thread. With a little time and perspective on my hands, I'd say I honestly wasn't as offended as it might've sounded but my general opinion still stands. I will also say that I am truly amazed at the chicks at these shows, especially the fact that they are always lookin for lovin/affection/companionship/a good time. Sometimes it makes me feel old, sometimes it is only my own self-conciousness causing same, but either way it puts a smile on my face every time, and the opportunities that are presented are .... often beyond an average looking male's wildest dreams. But, most importantly, the word is being spread and a new generation is being turned on, while their vim and vigor is both molded by and informing an already existing, and completely unique, phenomenon. It's a very good thing. And some of the comments are 100% accurate or at least fun to read. And yes there are plenty to go around.

Guest situationpete

If someone would tell these hot, sex crazed girls that I left the road 3 years ago, they would stop coming to the show and bothering you guys. But ticket sales would take a dive, so I wouldn't do it. I'd just keep telling them I'm "backstage", that seems to work.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived