Janus Landing St. Petersburg FL Miracle Healing!!!!!

Guest 333mike

Guest 333mike

333mike reporting live from the scene of a most MAGNIFICENT EVENT. I know I haven't reported in for quite some time and well, quite frankly its good to be on tour solo again. I now can stay up into the wee hours and type like the mad keystroke bandit I am. If you are waiting for a review don't worry its coming.... but I am telling you the power of DSO has reached magnificent heights, I would not believe the story you are about to read if I didn't witness it with my own two eyes. First let me give you the set list and show info for you impatient star heads....

04/09/82 (Fri) Community War Memorial Auditorium - Rochester, NY

Set 1: Alabama Getaway > Greatest Story Ever Told, Dire Wolf > CC Rider, Bird Song, It's All Over Now, Loser, Minglewood Blues, China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider

Set 2: Women Are Smarter, To Lay Me Down, Lost Sailor > Saint Of Circumstance > Drums > The Other One > Stella Blue > Goin' Down the Road Feeling Bad > Satisfaction, E: Brokedown Palace Filler: Good Lovin (thanks Bixby for the filler info.....even though you called the show wrong!!! He claimed it was Lakeland Fla 9/12/82!!! Whatta....#$%%$@#@ I tell ya!!) By the way folks if you're in the market for a mortgage........

First some info on Janus Landing, I don't know why they call it a "landing" because what it is, well, is a courtyard in the middle of a city block in downtown St. Pete. It is outside with a huge stage surrounded by vending (food, bar, other crap too) There is a big tent canopy over the stage and the perimeter is buildings on all four side except a small opening where the gate is. It is cool. 43 degrees cool that is. So much for some warm Fla shows!!! Seriously You gotta see a Show here, it is way fun!!!!

LAME AND CRIPPLED MAN HEALED BY DSO: MIRACLE AT SHOW!!!!

I had just weaseled my way up front next to the stage barriers, (Kevin's side if you must know) and started doing my pogo stick calesthetics during the tune up for the first song of the first set, in anticipation for an 80's show (stage set up) when a guy taps me from behind and as I turn around he (his real name is Dan S. ) says to me from his wheel chair "please watch out and be careful cause I'm lame and in this chair." He was rather meek and shy looking... I could tell that he was really taking a risk being out amongst the crowd and not to sure of himself ( and I can fully understand why). I tell him "no problem brother.... I don't drink, I am sober and I'll keep the space safe".... he thanked me and then he said that this was his first DSO show!!! I said "way cool" or some dumb shit like that and he hesitated before he told me that his first Dead show was Dane County Coliseum (WI) in 1973. We began to chat and he began to feel a little bit more comfortable.....then John started noodling his guitar just before the first song and this guy was beginning to smile. "That old familiar sound" he quipped. I noticed that his wife, Juliana S. (they have been married all their life) was taking an interest, she looked cautiously at me and I could tell she wanted to smile, but the responsibility of taking care of her husband all those years has taken its toll. When the band (they were all wearing hats and jackets "to keep their HEADS warm"....John looked like Yukon Jack!!!!) began with Alabama Getaway as the opener, I noticed that the old timer did not seem too impressed...but he could not help keeping a beat cause Dino and Koritz were pounding those skins something fierce and the energy from Rob's tight rhythm guitar, Kevin's bellowing bass was really captivating (wasn't like that weak Alabama from Donner Summit in '85) I was dancing like hellfire from the gitgo....for some reason I was just mentally and physically ready to let it rip......and I did. The beat got deeper when the band jammed Greatest Story and I checked on the old man in the wheelchair.......I think he was dumbfounded by the hearing of that "old funky sound" by the time he had heard Dire Wolf, CC Rider, Bird Song, It's All Over Now, he was actually moving back and forth in his chair quite controlled and effortless. Loser......what can I say about Loser, what a story, what a ballad, what a melody....Johns poignant, carefully accented emphasis on the words as they flowed from his soul moved us all....... ( I would put my gold where my heart is baby....if I had any!!!)Gold that is!!! Dan S. our man in the wheelchair, HE (he asked to remain anonymous) could not believe his ears or eyes....I saw a man being transformed before my very eyes....He said to me "It is a Miracle......DSO is heaven sent....I I've witnessed a miracle! he repeated. God it's cool to watch an old timer "come home" again for the first time at a DSO show. There was a lengthy pause before the next song (If you download the show from this website you will understand, its only a couple of bucks and it helps support this beautiful thing we all get to share!!!!)...anyway where was I....Oh yeah....there was/is this pause after Minglewwod and then came the first set closer.....fucking China Cat!!!! The man was boucing in that chair, then with a face full of fierce determination, the like I have never scene before, he grabed the sides of the chair and forced his way up, He was screaming the words to the song, he stood up!!! HE FUCKING STOOD UP!!! He was weak mind you, I helped him balance and he swung his leg around and I got out of the way and gave him my spot against the Barrier to lean on!!! Juliana, his wife was freaking. Oh my god !! she yelled! She was worried and happy at the same time, just then he let go of the barrier and he dipped down and spun (OK it was a slow turn around) his face was lit up and he was smiling from ear to ear. He yelled to her " they're going in to "I know You Rider" as if he had forgotten he had been in a wheelchair for all those years.....He was living in the moment, the only care he had was the soaking in of the spiritual melodies that were pouring through his body like a soulful cleansing. He was healed. He was standing, moving, dancing to the beat of the music that had changed his life, and it had changed it again, this was a miracle, I saw it, I was part of it, I will never forget it. The power of love and music cannot be measured by dollars or units sold, only by the hearts, souls and minds that it changes and moves. Thank you DSO.

This was the set closer, and I took the time to talk to our new friends Dan and Juliana. I told them that I wanted to write about what I saw and they were cool with it. For most of us walking or going to the bathroom or any type of locomotion is no big deal, but for some it is just not possible without great effort and help. My father suffered a t-6 spinal chord injury and lost control of his lower body. He had to cath himself, he could not walk. Over time and before his early passing,with help from the Miami Project he regained partial use of one leg. Please take time to meet the courageous people who are physically handicapped and make the great effort to get to a show, often they are socially isolated because we "normies" feel uncomfortable around them and avoid them. They are incredible people. Please volunteer or donate to any causes out there....For most para or quadriplegics, there is no miracle, just years of hard work and Physical Rehab. GOD BLESS YOU ALL

333MIKE

P.S. The second set really rocked, just ask Chuckvegas!!!!

Guest crazy digits

Arrived in St. Pete, moments before the show started having checked into the Taj Mahal hotel moments before that. Thanks Chuck! Love you brother. The stage was lit up so nicely on this COLD night. Each of out brothren wore a hat on stage. We found a little groove spot in the back corner where we danced the first set with 2 hula hoop gals who claimed a nice spot to do our thing.

Once the 2nd set started out Woman, Lay me down, I was so sure I had the show pegged 9/12/82 Lakeland....I happened to be at the show and was pretty sure this was the case....well, I was waaaaaay off...kinda felt silly there...oh well, so be it...had a great time and loved the show and good times. Peace.

• Forum MVP

The miracle that is DSO... :cheers:

Going down the road feeling good with Bix and James the Birthday Boy, hanging with 333Mike and sharing the Gospel, meeting maningreen (safe travels and see ya soon, Phil), late night with the usual suspects (including quality time watching a very special Crazy Fingers show in Pompano - no oil spots there)... so many roads!

You all have ruined my life. Words cannot thank you enough for that... :rolleyes:B)

Namaste -- chuck

Archived