Gamh Wednesday

sonomajon

What a great show!!

2-24-74 Winterland Arena, San Francisco Ca

Set I US Blues Mexicali BEW BIODTL Candyman Jack Straw China > Rider EL Paso Loser Playin

Set II Cumberland Roses Big River Bertha WRS Prelude> WRS Part 1>Let it Grow>Row Jimmy Ship Of Fools Promised Dark Star>Morning Dew Sugar Magnolia>NFA>GDTRFB>NFA

E: Baby Blue

The playin to end the first set was da shit' and everything from Dark Star on was magic..

• Forum MVP

is streamed the show from the east coast last night. first set was absolutely sick...second set started around 2am EST so I didn't make it....wish i could have heard the darkstar>morning dew :sleep:

Can't wait for tonight! What about Donna? How was she?

Donna was fabulous, and so was Lisa who alternated with Donna!!

The whole band was on fire all night!!! I've been to roughly 150 GD shows, including last nights 1974 Winterland show way back when I was an undergraduate physics student at Berkeley, who loved to get some release from the stress of classes by going over to Winterland. I honestly can't remember being more blown away by the musicianship at ANY GD dead show than I was last night. Sorry if this is somehow sacrilegious to say, but while the GD invented this music, DSO does it better on most nights IMO. I was just as excited to hear this show, as I was to watch the GD at Winterland in the 70's or at the Berkeley Greek Theatre during the 80's, which was probably my favorite era and venue.

During the second set, I made it right up to the front, directly in front of Donna. It was great to see her again, and obviously having such a wonderful time with DSO. I actually thought her singing fit in better with DSO than it did back in the 70's with the Dead. Part of this is probably just some more majority on my part with appreciating female vocals with Grateful Dead music. I think I had some kind of problem with "the chick vocals" back then, when I was a young idiot.

Anyway, John announced that Donna will be back on Thursday, so you'll find out for yourself how good she is!!!

Thank you DSO for keeping this marvelous music going!!!!!

• Forum MVP
Donna was fabulous, and so was Lisa who alternated with Donna!!

The whole band was on fire all night!!! I've been to roughly 150 GD shows, including last nights 1974 Winterland show way back when I was an undergraduate physics student at Berkeley, who loved to get some release from the stress of classes by going over to Winterland. I honestly can't remember being more blown away by the musicianship at ANY GD dead show than I was last night. Sorry if this is somehow sacrilegious to say, but while the GD invented this music, DSO does it better on most nights IMO. I was just as excited to hear this show, as I was to watch the GD at Winterland in the 70's or at the Berkeley Greek Theatre during the 80's, which was probably my favorite era and venue.

During the second set, I made it right up to the front, directly in front of Donna. It was great to see her again, and obviously having such a wonderful time with DSO. I actually thought her singing fit in better with DSO than it did back in the 70's with the Dead. Part of this is probably just some more majority on my part with appreciating female vocals with Grateful Dead music. I think I had some kind of problem with "the chick vocals" back then, when I was a young idiot.

Anyway, John announced that Donna will be back on Thursday, so you'll find out for yourself how good she is!!!

Thank you DSO for keeping this marvelous music going!!!!!

Wow!!!!!! Well said

I agree! The first time I saw DSO and started going to that "place" that the Dead would take me, I felt like I had to hold back. Kind of like wanting to have sex with that hot cousin. Feeling dirty yet wanting to abandon restraint.

• Forum MVP
I honestly can't remember being more blown away by the musicianship at ANY GD dead show than I was last night. Sorry if this is somehow sacrilegious to say, but while the GD invented this music, DSO does it better on most nights IMO.

thats the kind of review i love to see!!! around here, thats not blasphemous, its assumed!!

Just a few more remarks now that I've woken up completely. Yeah, it was a long night--started right on time at 9:00 PM and they didn't leave the stage until almost 1:30!! I kept thinking it was over, and they would go and do more. At one point around 1:00AM, I saw John looking at the edge of the stage for the big LED clock to make see whether they could keep this up.

John's new guitar is quite bizarre. It is so small, it almost looks like a toy. Definitely not Jerry's "Tiger"!! However, the proof is in the sound, not the appearance! He seems to be enjoy playing this tiny ax, and one certainly cannot argue with the magnificent sound!

As mentioned previously, I made my way right up to the front-center. The sound up there is quite different than halfway back where I was for the first set. One hears the stage mix much more. I was really enjoying listening to Rob's playing. With the GD, I always had to make a bit of an effort to listen to what Weir was doing, as he often got a bit lost in the rest of the mix. When up front last night, Rob's rhythm line is really in your face, and it sounded great. It was such a trip to just go back and forth watching John and Rob's fingers, and hearing the results. You could tell both of them loved being back in SF and playing to this appreciative audience. Hey guys--you ever think of moving here???

True to form for a 1974 show, there was only one drummer (Dino). I did miss the sound of having both , but that would not have accurately reflected this show.

Kevin's bass playing was loud and excellent. There were a few times the whole place shook with a Leshian (how's that for a new adjective?) vibration!

Rob Barroca's keyboards were superb!!! He is a wonderful match to this band and seems to love playing with them.

Finally, there was the privilege of being watching Donna and Lisa from perhaps 5 feet away. They both have such exuberance! Lisa has a lovely voice, which is rather different than Donna's. I always enjoy the DSO shows when she sings. As I previously posted, Donna also sounded wonderful! I was really impressed watching Donna at the Fillmore show a few years back (the one where that great DVD was filmed). That was actually the first DSO show I attended, so I was naturally hooked from the start!! I was afraid that Donna might disappoint after that superb Fillmore performance. She didn't!! I actually believe I got a whole new appreciation for how much the Dead sound is positively impacted by the female vocals after that first Fillmore show. I must also remark that while I certainly do not personally know Donna, I am quite certain she must be an incredibly warm and lovely person to know. You simply cannot have that beautiful radiant smile and not be!! Singing with DSO must bring back some happy memories--I know it certainly did with me.

I only bought a ticket to last nights show, but am now sorry about that. Perhaps I'll go look around for one of those proverbial "miracle" tickets before this run ends. You don't get that many opportunities anymore to hear such amazing music. Thanks again to DSO and Donna for a wonderful evening!!!

I'm always amused when people sheepeshly suggest that the DSO show they just witnessed was better than the original. It's often true - and I went to a good number of the orig '70's shows. But you have to remember that DSO have already been playing healthy and focused longer than the Dead - certainly longer than the Dead had been playing in a golden year like '73. DSO are in a position now to take something like China->Rider and to take it furthur than the Dead did. I think I saw that happen Sat night in Portland.

For me it's hard to go there....comparing DSO to the Dead...Another time forgotten space if you follow...I listened to Buffalo 5-9-77 on the ride home and was floored again...That comes a time in the second set is second to none! Jerry's singing from WAY deep inside and the jam at the end is insane! Back to DSO...the China Rider last night was nothing short of amazing! Good vibes in the house last night! I just wish people would figure out that having a couple sips of your beer before you start to make your way back through the crowd goes a long way to keeping it in the cup and off of other peoples clothes!

You know what I mean? For me, listening to GD live or recorded, was the only time that I could get that levitating feeling, at least from music. I love a good jam, but nothing else can transport like the Dead, for me. It is the combination of the songs themselves, the lyrics, the musicianship certainly, and the memories of the hundreds of times before where you have felt this feeling.

The way that DSO so closely mimics the ebb and flow or the original event sparks it for me. Maybe it is my Jewish guilt that I shouldn't be having TOO much fun, but at first I felt almost pathetic to be so intensely grooving on a replica, like idolizing a false god. I am over that now. I enjoy every second and just let it go. I figure that Jerry would be digging it if he was here, and if it is good enough for Jerry, its good enough for me.

Heading up to GAMH right now!

For me it's hard to go there....comparing DSO to the Dead...Another time forgotten space if you follow...I listened to Buffalo 5-9-77 on the ride home and was floored again...That comes a time in the second set is second to none! Jerry's singing from WAY deep inside and the jam at the end is insane! Back to DSO...the China Rider last night was nothing short of amazing! Good vibes in the house last night! I just wish people would figure out that having a couple sips of your beer before you start to make your way back through the crowd goes a long way to keeping it in the cup and off of other peoples clothes!

Yeah, I heartily agree that The Dead at their best were a force of nature that is hard to compare with anything. I certainly remember some Winterland and Greek shows where my jaw was dropping almost the whole evening. However, they were by no means at their best throughout their amazing career. Most would agree the last few years when Jerry was in failing health were a pale imitation of their earlier years. Of course, there were plenty of stinker shows even in the best of times. In my rather limited statistical observations of DSO, they are more consistant. The GD and DSO are both amazing, and maybe we should just leave it at that.

Regarding the beer, I wish some people would figure out that maybe they should just stick to Calistoga. The one downer last night was some very obnoxious and sweaty beer-swilling jerk who came charging right up to the front by pushing everyone else around. He then proceeded to make life miserable for those around him. At one point, he almost got into blows with some guy he kept smacking into.

Someone mentioned 5/9/77. I love that Bufalo show and you are absolutely right about the Comes a Time - I always liked the way the slid into it from the NFA jam. I didn't go to any of the shows in '77 and learned how hot that spring was starting with the Buffalo tape, then kept sucking up the others like Swing, Cornell, New Haven, Winterland 6/9 and others. Dead, DSO, it's all great.

Archived