5-9-07 Rochester NY

jackjones

Dso Rochester 5-9-07, Original Setlist

Set 1:

Mississippi Halfstep-> Greatest Story, Ramble on Rose, Memphis Blues, Easy Wind, Mission in the Rain, Brother Esau-> Bird Song-> Midnight Hour

Set 2: Gloria-> Help on the Way-> Slipknot-> Franklins Tower, We Can Run, King Salomons Marbles-> Drums->Space->

Sunrise-> Cosmic Charlie-> I Need a Miracle-> Bertha

Encore: Box of Rain-> Touch of Grey

Leaving Ithaca was sort of difficult to accept. By now, you have likely heard a thing or two about what had transpired on 5-8-07, so I will refrain from talking too much about it, (other than to say t was absolutely magical; everything I dreamed it might be and so much more). We drove back over to the venue, found Barton Hall and took a few pictures, and accepted the fact that the show must go on. It was time to leave Ithaca behind, knowing the good times would have to continue elsewhere.

After several wrong turns and meeting a friendly police officer whom I pushed the "poor southern boy" thing with too far, we had arrived within the inner beltway of Rochester. Nice town, it seemed, although older, seasoned locals gave us the ominous warning, "You seem like good people. Don't go downtown." What could that mean? It is sort of like a dare, almost, like the waiter who says, "Now this plate is very hot," which practically invites you to touch it.

All of that nonsense aside, the band graced the stage about a quarter after nine. It was a relief to see them, as the venue had filled up rapidly and anticipation was pretty high. The first few songs rolled out nice and smooth. It is always a pleasure to notice Lisa's mic set up. I guess that was something I took for granted the night before, that she would be onstage. She puts off just the best energy. She was wearing the headphones again, (Princess Lea, anyone?) and barefoot.

The first set had all the specificity of the night before, that is to to say the level of perfection. You can't duplicate what happened in Ithaca, so I didn't expect them to play the 5-9-77 show, or even something like the Rochester 84 show. But the band seems to play much like one unit. We got to watch Rob Barraco sing quite a bit in Rochester, which was nice since he was sans mic (obviously) in Ithaca. I really enjoy him, am reminded of those Phil & Friends shows in 2001 where he got a nice share of the vocal work and was able to play with a band (IMO, in the Herring-Hanes days) that was really on top of their game. Over the course of the night, Barraco would sing a fair share, sometimes, when the time was right, sounding a lot like Brent, but always sounding purely Barraco.

I love Mission in the Rain. I am reminded of seeing Ratdog do this song and being won over by Bobby's different, but earnest approach to this song. (It's not a comparison so I will spare you any of that.) JK wins me over everytime. His look over at Kevin right before the bass line kicks in during "Mission" confirms for me all the heart and soul he is pouring into his work. It is fun to watch.

Bird Song has been taken to new places for me, all thanks to dso. I call this effect "stealing from father time". We have all heard these songs thousands of times. By all counts, this should cover all the bases, but somehow you find yourself finding new meaning, or new rhythm and rhyme in the same old song. Maybe that is because it is a change in the song, but maybe it is a change in the listener. Probably it is some of both.

The Help> Slip> Frank was spot on, full of all the tangents and interplay you probably love these songs for. Eaton

• Forum MVP
Dso Rochester 5-9-07, Original Setlist

Set 1:

Mississippi Halfstep-> Greatest Story, Ramble on Rose, Memphis Blues, Easy Wind, Mission in the Rain, Brother Esau-> Bird Song-> Midnight Hour

Set 2: Gloria-> Help on the Way-> Slipknot-> Franklins Tower, We Can Run, King Salomons Marbles-> Drums->Space->

Sunrise-> Cosmic Charlie-> I Need a Miracle-> Bertha

Encore: Box of Rain-> Touch of Grey

Leaving Ithaca was sort of difficult to accept. By now, you have likely heard a thing or two about what had transpired on 5-8-07, so I will refrain from talking too much about it, (other than to say t was absolutely magical; everything I dreamed it might be and so much more). We drove back over to the venue, found Barton Hall and took a few pictures, and accepted the fact that the show must go on. It was time to leave Ithaca behind, knowing the good times would have to continue elsewhere.

After several wrong turns and meeting a friendly police officer whom I pushed the "poor southern boy" thing with too far, we had arrived within the inner beltway of Rochester. Nice town, it seemed, although older, seasoned locals gave us the ominous warning, "You seem like good people. Don't go downtown." What could that mean? It is sort of like a dare, almost, like the waiter who says, "Now this plate is very hot," which practically invites you to touch it.

All of that nonsense aside, the band graced the stage about a quarter after nine. It was a relief to see them, as the venue had filled up rapidly and anticipation was pretty high. The first few songs rolled out nice and smooth. It is always a pleasure to notice Lisa's mic set up. I guess that was something I took for granted the night before, that she would be onstage. She puts off just the best energy. She was wearing the headphones again, (Princess Lea, anyone?) and barefoot.

The first set had all the specificity of the night before, that is to to say the level of perfection. You can't duplicate what happened in Ithaca, so I didn't expect them to play the 5-9-77 show, or even something like the Rochester 84 show. But the band seems to play much like one unit. We got to watch Rob Barraco sing quite a bit in Rochester, which was nice since he was sans mic (obviously) in Ithaca. I really enjoy him, am reminded of those Phil & Friends shows in 2001 where he got a nice share of the vocal work and was able to play with a band (IMO, in the Herring-Hanes days) that was really on top of their game. Over the course of the night, Barraco would sing a fair share, sometimes, when the time was right, sounding a lot like Brent, but always sounding purely Barraco.

I love Mission in the Rain. I am reminded of seeing Ratdog do this song and being won over by Bobby's different, but earnest approach to this song. (It's not a comparison so I will spare you any of that.) JK wins me over everytime. His look over at Kevin right before the bass line kicks in during "Mission" confirms for me all the heart and soul he is pouring into his work. It is fun to watch.

Bird Song has been taken to new places for me, all thanks to dso. I call this effect "stealing from father time". We have all heard these songs thousands of times. By all counts, this should cover all the bases, but somehow you find yourself finding new meaning, or new rhythm and rhyme in the same old song. Maybe that is because it is a change in the song, but maybe it is a change in the listener. Probably it is some of both.

I think "Midnight Hour" was added on by Eaton, who was sporting a red and blue this evening.

The only thing that could have been better than opening with Shakedown would be to not do it, which is, of course, what happened. Heh. They opened with Gloria. Never trust a prankster, I guess. At least the original setlist part was true. In case you

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

...and hey, JackJones, am I reading you right? Did you actually overlook Rob Barracco's delicious rendition of "We Can Run"? Man, what a jewel in the middle of my dreary workday!!

"I'll have a Burracco Supreme, please!!!!!!"

Thank you tapers and archive.org!

...and hey, JackJones, am I reading you right? Did you actually overlook Rob Barracco's delicious rendition of "We Can Run"? Man, what a jewel in the middle of my dreary workday!!

"I'll have a Burracco Supreme, please!!!!!!"

Thank you tapers and archive.org!

There is commentary on it from a few nights later in Stroudsburg in this one:

http://www.dsoforums.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=3457

They played that tune both times as if it came straight from the heart, but I guess I was more struck in PA.

img1826mr6.th.jpg

Archived