Bloozing at the Blues Cafe

the bloozing was thick last night at the blues cafe. if you havent been to mexicali already, do yourself a favor and go next time to experience the puffatorium that it is. my highlight last night might have been the enchilada i got before the show. so good when you are that blazed.

the band played very well and seemed to be having more fun than usual picking the songs of the original setlist. the music sounded good, but the majority of the sets were made up of covers, which gave dso more of a cover band feel than the tribute band they are.

very rough setlist:

set I: stir it up, dancing in the streets, cold rain and snow, how sweet it is, i am the walrus, ohio (i think it was the first time they have ever played it), just like tom thumbs blues, easy to love you, black throated wind

set II: midnight hour, hard to handle. cumberland blues, sing me back home, corrina, throwing stones

encore: some neil diamond song, mighty quinn

all in all id say the highlights for me were how sweet it is, cumberland, sing me back home, just like tom thumbs, but I felt like the show could have used more of a balance of dead and jgb tunes.

before the show, as I stuffed my face with enchilada and my buddy devoured jumbo sea scallops, rob eaton walked by our table. he stopped when we called his name and told him "LLR". from 5 feet away, he proceeded to give us this perplexed look that made it seem like he was either extremely lifted off the grass smell at the cafe or just didnt know what was going on around him. we continued to make our plea to hear LLR by saying that we felt it was "signature rob". mouth open, rob stared right at us but his only acknowledgement came in the form of a peace sign and he walked away. corrina, throwing stones, and black throated wind are not LLR but atleast its dead and we realize that these are some of robs personal favorites. correct me if im wrong, but I feel like jerry or the dead never played a neil diamond song. in closing, i think i speak for most of the crowd last night regarding the neil diamond rendition by saying, "cut the shit".

Guest rowjimmy

I enjoy the Terrapin Nation shows at Mexicali. You really don't know what you're going to hear because they're so infrequent. A great mix of tunes at Mexical last night.

i thought the show last night was great, cool little club, i really enjoyed the pigpen tunes....i got a couple smiles yellin viola lee blues, but no such luck :( oh well i enjoyed seeing them have fun with their song chooses i love the spontanitity.....its very cool to hear covers done in a dead style.....and i was extremely grateful for the spot i found in the club right by the stage in front of john and barraco very cool....a group of like 10 of us did not stop dancin' till the show was ova, gotta love it................i am the fuckin walrus!!

Terrapin Nation shows at Mexicali are some of the most fun shows that anyone (deadhead or not) can see...

granted - you're probably not going to get the incredible power and energy that gets generated when DSO plays a show... but I find that the unusual and unpredictable setlists make up for all that...

... and besides - they *do* still throw down as Terrapin Nation

anyway - I just want to say that the appearance of Hard to Handle alone made my night.... I had been giving listen to that on some early Dead shows, and couldn't help but think, why doesn't DSO ever break that one out? and by golly they're doing a Terrapin Nation show tonight, what a perfect oppourtunity for them to do so

did I actually think I stood a chance of hearing it? Not at all

but I was completely floored when they did. seriously kick ass!

other highlights:

Cumberland was pretty nasty

Stir it Up was a great kick off.

Dancin' in the Streets - which had an early-Dead flavor to it... definitely NOT the disco version of the late 70's

How Sweet it is - and how sweet that was! another one I was secretly hoping for the whole time

oh - and I am the Walrus was soooo unexpected, great little treat on that one!

great fun was had by all!

• Forum MVP
Beside America the nation and a do-nation, I love Terrapin Nation. They played songs I've sung and heard for thirty years. Great music and great crowd.

Jersey Steve

Forgot Cold rain and Snow,early version, very fast...

I love TN for the unpredictability and the fact that band members really seem to be enjoying themselves and lets face it, as much as WE all love the dead, it is nice to break up the monotony and throw some curves into the mix...

Plus Mexicali is such a sweet venue..

Always a pleasure to hang with some of my new friends, the common bond being the devotion to DSO...

Guest crazy digits

had so much fun at last night's show...probably the wierdest show I have ever seen these folks do :-) the hard to handle and cumberland were off the chart. saw 4-5 songs I've never heard done..thanks to SKIP for letting it all go!!

• Forum MVP

God DAMN I wish I could have made this one...what Anth, B*, the Steves and WC said...every song a pearl....and an Esau and Corinna both? And if they opened with Stir, you know TN is in town.

Safe travels, y'all and see ya at Rams Head...

my apologies if i was too hard on the show. i actually really enjoyed the show. just being at the cafe was great. i love the covers, i think the frustrated tone of my original post was just based on the fact that i have seen the band more than 25 times and still have not been able to hear my favorite song, standing on the moon. ive come to realize that its one of the more rare songs in that it is not played very much.

dso is the best thing going right now. sometimes i even find myself listening to dso more than the dead, which i think speaks a lot to how i really feel about these guys. to you clowns on the board who think i am silly for using "high school" terms like "getting blazed", you might wanna think about smoking a little more yourselves. dso and blazing go together.

yea dino

• Forum MVP

What will happen is that DSO will crowd out everything else in your changer on a day-to-day basis. By then the beauty of original setlists, as best explemplified by TN shows, will have grown on you like a clone in the summer sun. Life will have taken a strange turn indeedy by this time, and the 10-22-05 show (Fillmore Auditorium, Original Setlist) will be on heavy rotation...a serious meltdown STOM...there is a reason I haven't missed a Fillmore show in some few years and there was a reason they closed that one with Lucy...

namaste...:friends:

• Advisory Board
FYI haveyouever....I have seen DSO 172 times and have only heard "Standing on the Moon" maybe 8/9 times....

Saturday's Rams Head Show will be my 172, Matt.... you'd better start getting a move on, or I will be shortly be passing by you....

169 tonight... can't wait!

Wow....

can't believe I missed that one. It sounds like it was another huge success - really look forward to seeing JK belt out the vocals of Lennon's "Watchin The Wheels," which was the first song Firewheel did together. (no audio available at 10FtTall website, but video is available of it @ youtube)... glad to see that song is 'in the mix'.

Still looking forward to experiencing an eyewitness account of TN.

godspeed, soldiers.

As if I ( we ) need anymore Neil Diamond justification, here she blow. Listening to Jam on sirius 17 this evening Phish did a cover of Cracklin Rosie. He mentioned Neil and the crowd went nuts ( at the garden no less ) and then the first notes they went hogwild. After that rousing version went into a rippin Good Times, Bad Times Zep cover. Come on man it was H O T. Sorry : )))))

Anth

• Forum MVP

Damn you Herdy Damn you !!!! ... it really dont matter because a certain person from the Silver state is going to blow by both of us like bad Indian food through a tender colon ..

Anth - so right on my friend !!!

speaking of MR. NEIL DIAMOND.... chicks dig it baby.... chicks dig it... oh yeah !!!

• Advisory Board
blow by both of us like bad Indian food through a tender colon ..

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

We wouldn't be talking about our Ambassador, They Grey-Haired-Tazmanian-Devil, a.k.a. Mr. Chuck Vegas, would we?

He's one sick fuck....

Archived