Review of State Theatre May 16

Guest echo

unbelievable show. here are some highlights. i cant remember the two sets in their entirety, but that has nothing to do with the fact of being too baked. there was no bloozing in the venue.

set I- bertha, me and my uncle, brown eyed women, row jimmy, LOOKS LIKE RAIN, jack straw,tennessee jed, weather report, let it grow, eyes of the world, china doll

set II- big river,el paso, china cat, i know you rider, hes gone, sing you blues away, not fade away, going down the road feeling bad

encore- stella blue, one more saturday night

filler- CATFISH JOHN

Rob E was the man tonight. After spurning our pleas for an LLR at the blues cafe a few nights ago, senator eaton answered our prayers with one of his signature llr's last night. my buddy and i were saying that we would pay full price for a ticket just to see the band play looks like rain over and over again. correction- my buddy on the couch just said more than full price. we still would love to hear rob go a little more wild towards the end of looks like rain and take some chances with improv like bob did. if rob did this, i might just have to cast a vote for him on the next presidential ballot.

(to rob eaton)--on a side note, have you ever considered a future in politics? washington is calling your name....id be interested in your thoughts on this matter. ill be back at the state theatre. maybe we can discuss then. cool?

hoping to hear another llr tonight

Guest crazy digits

you are out of your mind......for many reasons...... 73' LLR won't have bobby that way...too mellow...looked like a nice show

Guest brian

The show was 9/8/73, nassau coliseum.

According to setlist.com, the dead ended the first set that night with Big River and kicked off the 2nd set with China Rider. If that is correct, it is kind of strange that DSO decided to break at the China Doll. Maybe it was a bathroom thing for the guys. Even so, I really thought we were hearing an original setlist mainly cause of a mid first set weather report into eyes.

Donna clearly was having fun. I had just seen her with Zero and she was much more into it last night and clearly having more fun on stage and eating up the crowd energy.

Though I liked the setlist and the show was a blast, DSO's playing was relatively reserved. Don't know if that was done intentionally since the original show was pretty reserved also or just coincidence. There was lots of good stuff throughout the evening and with no down moments, might have been the most fun DSO show I had been too.

• Advisory Board
The show was 9/8/73, nassau coliseum.

According to setlist.com, the dead ended the first set that night with Big River and kicked off the 2nd set with China Rider.

Deadbase:

09-08-73 Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum, Uniondale, N.Y. (Sat)

1: Bertha, Me & My Uncle, Sugaree, BIODTL, Tennessee Jed, L. L. Rain, B. E. Women, Jack Straw, Row Jimmy, WRS Prelude> WRS Part 1> Let It Grow, Eyes> China Doll

2: Greatest, Ramble On, Big River, Let Me Sing, China Cat> I Know You Rider, El Paso, He's Gone> Truckin> NFA> GDTRFB> NFA

E: Stella Blue> Saturday Night

first "WRS Part 1" - first "Let Me Sing"

Great show last night, great crowd... Highlights were the spectacular WRS>WRS1, Eyes, Let Me Sing Your Blues Away, and that epic Catfish John!

Guest brian

Not that you needed any confirmation but just listened to the show on archive and indeed the first set ends with china doll. Weird first set ender.

Deadbase:

09-08-73 Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum, Uniondale, N.Y. (Sat)

1: Bertha, Me & My Uncle, Sugaree, BIODTL, Tennessee Jed, L. L. Rain, B. E. Women, Jack Straw, Row Jimmy, WRS Prelude> WRS Part 1> Let It Grow, Eyes> China Doll

2: Greatest, Ramble On, Big River, Let Me Sing, China Cat> I Know You Rider, El Paso, He's Gone> Truckin> NFA> GDTRFB> NFA

E: Stella Blue> Saturday Night

first "WRS Part 1" - first "Let Me Sing"

Great show last night, great crowd... Highlights were the spectacular WRS>WRS1, Eyes, Let Me Sing Your Blues Away, and that epic Catfish John!

• Forum MVP
unbelievable show. here are some highlights. i cant remember the two sets in their entirety, but that has nothing to do with the fact of being too baked. there was no bloozing in the venue.

set I- bertha, me and my uncle, brown eyed women, row jimmy, LOOKS LIKE RAIN, jack straw,tennessee jed, weather report, let it grow, eyes of the world, china doll

set II- big river,el paso, china cat, i know you rider, hes gone, sing you blues away, not fade away, going down the road feeling bad

encore- stella blue, one more saturday night

filler- CATFISH JOHN

Rob E was the man tonight. After spurning our pleas for an LLR at the blues cafe a few nights ago, senator eaton answered our prayers with one of his signature llr's last night. my buddy and i were saying that we would pay full price for a ticket just to see the band play looks like rain over and over again. correction- my buddy on the couch just said more than full price. we still would love to hear rob go a little more wild towards the end of looks like rain and take some chances with improv like bob did. if rob did this, i might just have to cast a vote for him on the next presidential ballot.

(to rob eaton)--on a side note, have you ever considered a future in politics? washington is calling your name....id be interested in your thoughts on this matter. ill be back at the state theatre. maybe we can discuss then. cool?

hoping to hear another llr tonight

Dude, they are not a wedding band and be happy with what you got, and as pointed out, I have never witnessed the screeching in llr with Rob at the helm... and that's a good thing.

Catfish???...love catfish!!!

The show was great....I have seen DSO about 30 times and I would place this in the top 5 for sure......

The band was REALLY into it all night.....Donna was having a blast......

Got some food and beverage next door at the Beach Shack which I had never been to before the show.....cool place

The crowd was late arriving, but the place quickly got packed after the band came on at about 8:20

Was surprised by the Eyes>China Doll.....figured it was a '73 show pretty quickly, but didnt know which one......

State Theater is a great venue....awesome sound, cool staff.......even smoked a J outside in the parking lot during setbreak and nobody seemed to care.....my only problem with it is that cause the bar is so accessible and so well placed, I end up getting too drunk when I go to shows there....lol.....

I prefer dead shows to original setlists, so hoping for and expecting a nice 80s show tonight......I dont believe DSO has ever done 6/14/91...tonite would be good time B)

Archived