State second night

Guest crazy digits

Guest crazy digits

The state is cool. Tonight, 93 show.....long second set pre drums with Crazy Fingers, the highlight for me...Thanks friends, dso and state.

• Forum MVP

Bix -

my good buddy how ya been... you know I am not much of a phone talker but I do owe you a call to catch up ..

"Crazy Fingers" and "Loser" are the 2 songs that make me think of you...

and of course whenever Lisa gets going during "Music" then we end up finding eachother with arms raised in the air...

see ya at the Ledges my good friend...

PS - looks like I will miss my first Dewey Beach show this summer... just cant swing as many shows as I used to...

Guest jamesr

Oakland Coliseum, Oakland, CA (Friday, 12/17/93)

Here Comes Sunshine

Walkin' Blues

Jack a Roe

Desolation Row

Ramble on Rose

Broken Arrow

Lazy River Road

Music Never Stopped

Help on the Way ->

Slipknot ->

Franklin's Tower

Saint of Circumstance ->

Crazy Fingers ->

Corina ->

Drums ->

Space ->

The Last Time ->

Attics of My Life ->

Good Lovin'

I Fought the Law

Filler: Don't Let Go with Lisa

Kira and I were in a state of high anticipation after a long drought for us. We managed to pester John K. in the Thai restaurant before the show. He is so kind.

We enjoyed seeing friends old and new and brought a couple of old Deadheads with us for their first DSO. We were peplexed as to how to explain the first set to them, except for the incendiary midi'd Music. The song selection was typical dysfunctional 90's Dead. The sound was off during set I, and the crowd was so loud you could not hear the quiet parts all night. That being said, Set II had some real highlights.

Kira and I loved the HSF, and the wall of doom in St.

Kira is a madwoman for Corina and of course went crazy. I'm not all up in that. After the drums, Last Time was well played, Attics was beautiful, but again, a distracted and chatty bunch in the theatre. Good Lovin was good.

I Fought the Law was played just like the Dead played it, like "Why are we playing this song?"

The Don't Let Go was a huge highlight. It was DSO's musical magic along with a heretofore unseen psychedelic light show. Excellent!

As always, we had a great time dancing. Looking forward to those Ram's Heads.

Love,

Kira and Jamesr

• Forum MVP
Bix -

my good buddy how ya been... you know I am not much of a phone talker but I do owe you a call to catch up ..

"Crazy Fingers" and "Loser" are the 2 songs that make me think of you...

and of course whenever Lisa gets going during "Music" then we end up finding eachother with arms raised in the air...

see ya at the Ledges my good friend...

PS - looks like I will miss my first Dewey Beach show this summer... just cant swing as many shows as I used to...

People going JV left and right...I can't take off 5 out of 6 Fridays much these days, you are afraid to head north of the FL-GA state line...guess James is going to have to pick up our slack nowadays. Sad, it is really sad... :unsure::herdy:

Guest crazy digits

matt, thanks for the kind words...i miss you too brother.....you should have seen lisa with her solo during sing me back home at mexicali..i always think of you when she does her thing..i lover her vibe...i am bummed every show when i don't see her mic stand....i LOVE the 80-85 era so much but definitley miss her night in and night out when she is not part of it all...lis, you're the best!!!!!!! wish i could have seen wed. night show :(

• Advisory Board

Not a huge fan of 93 shows, but this one had it's highlights.... First set really didn't do much for me athough the Ramble on Rose, Broken Arrow, Lazy River Road was very nice. There were to many damned talkers in the crowd and it was really irritating me last night... anyway, second set H>S>F>St. of Circumstance>Crazy Fingers was fuckin incredible!!

Good times as always.... ready for Ram's Head tonight!

Guest brian

90s dead is probably my least favorite. Very spotty setlists and too much synth on the guitars for my tastes. Still, DSO did an incredible job sounding like the 90s dead.

2nd set before drums is where the action was and what made it wothwhile. Help-Slip Frank, Crazy Fingers and outstanding Corrina . The Saint before Crazy Fingers seemed a bit shortened and nothing to write home about. Attics after space was almost a train wreck mainly because there was feedback in Rob's vocals and between the feedback and the loud chatty crowd, the band looked like they just wanted to get thru the song. Don't Let Go filler at the end really made up for some of the lame 90s songs in the setlist like I fought the law (lame songs were not DSO's fault, its what the dead were doing).

• Forum MVP
90s dead is probably my least favorite. Very spotty setlists and too much synth on the guitars for my tastes. Still, DSO did an incredible job sounding like the 90s dead.

2nd set before drums is where the action was and what made it wothwhile. Help-Slip Frank, Crazy Fingers and outstanding Corrina . The Saint before Crazy Fingers seemed a bit shortened and nothing to write home about. Attics after space was almost a train wreck mainly because there was feedback in Rob's vocals and between the feedback and the loud chatty crowd, the band looked like they just wanted to get thru the song. Don't Let Go filler at the end really made up for some of the lame 90s songs in the setlist like I fought the law (lame songs were not DSO's fault, its what the dead were doing).

Wow, "I fought the law"!!? I sometimes wonder which gd member brought that doozy into the rotation. What a brutal song!!

• Forum MVP

Since my last name is "Lawhead" ... i personally enjoy "I Fought the Law" ...

I saw The Grateful Dead play that song many times.... BUT i have yet to hear DSO play it....

So Herdy and Chuck how about this for the 1st set on the 1st night at the Ledges:

I Fought the Law (4:00) >

Johnny B. Goode (3:53) >

Corrina (8:12) >

Johnny B. Goode (4:37) >

Corrina (14:45) >

I Fought the Law (11:18) .. LONG GUITAR SOLO !!!!!

Of all the shows they could recreate, why the hell would they pick a lame show from 93!!!! I almost fell asleep during 1st set. Check out this 1st set chunk full of bathroom break songs:

HC Sunshine (excellent...maybe we are in for a treat)

Walkin' Blues (yawn)

Jack-a-roe (there is still hope for a good set...)

Desolation Row (...on second thought, no)

Ramble on Rose (crap, I don't have to pee or get another beer...what am I supposed to do 6-7 painful minutes)

Broken Arrow (zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz)

Lazy River Road (maybe I need a Red Bull instead of a Magic Hat brew)

Music Never Stopped (how dare you wake me up)

That snoozer set sent two of my old buddies home before set 2. Too bad, these guys were old heads (circa 1971) seeing DSO for the first time. I doubt I'll be able to get them to another show.

1987, 1993, and 1995 shows should be avoided. It sucked with the real Dead, so why recreate it.

Something about that setlist and the comments that followed made me go back and read the old thread about "Songs that suck", the eight page thread (buried back a few pages) in which many of us discussed our lesser favorites, or the songs we would rather not hear....

and in that thread, I found this golden little nugget:

Why does one interlude move one but not another? Why is dopamine released in one person's brain after hearing the chorus to China Doll while the other brain remains unchanged?

interestingly enough, "I fought the Law" was not mentioned in the first several pages of that thread. I only found this interesting because it seems to usually top lists of songs that people are..... shall we say "not so fond" of... Curious, as the only song i'd rather hear less (by any band) is "Mustang Sally".

Guest crazy digits

I can understand your criticism! I really couldn't handle any of the 90's stuff either....but this band is worth another try.....Its too bad your buddies are that narrow minded....If they were there on Wed. night, they wouldn't have left!!

I can understand your criticism! I really couldn't handle any of the 90's stuff either....but this band is worth another try.....Its too bad your buddies are that narrow minded....If they were there on Wed. night, they wouldn't have left!!

You right, I believe my buddies would have a different opinion if they heard DSO do a 1970s show.

• Forum MVP
Of all the shows they could recreate, why the hell would they pick a lame show from 93!!!! I almost fell asleep during 1st set. Check out this 1st set chunk full of bathroom break songs:

HC Sunshine (excellent...maybe we are in for a treat)

Walkin' Blues (yawn)

Jack-a-roe (there is still hope for a good set...)

Desolation Row (...on second thought, no)

Ramble on Rose (crap, I don't have to pee or get another beer...what am I supposed to do 6-7 painful minutes)

Broken Arrow (zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz)

Lazy River Road (maybe I need a Red Bull instead of a Magic Hat brew)

Music Never Stopped (how dare you wake me up)

That snoozer set sent two of my old buddies home before set 2. Too bad, these guys were old heads (circa 1971) seeing DSO for the first time. I doubt I'll be able to get them to another show.

1987, 1993, and 1995 shows should be avoided. It sucked with the real Dead, so why recreate it.

i, along with most deadheads i think, love most of these songs!!!! I LOVE every single song in that first set, minus broken arrow, which i can do without. BUT REMEMBER, all bets are off with DSO, even the lesser-liked songs.

i dont know what the hell you're talking about, 1987 was AMAZING!!!! on the other hand there may be an argument for 93-95.. but dso just takes the setlist, not all of the baggage that comes with it (ie: sub-par performances).

I have a question for those that were there:

Did dso play HCsunshine in true 90s fashion? (Vocals open up- not guitar, guitar solo is shorter and less jammier/spacey than the 73-74 hcsunshines- more "focused" solo)... i have been saying for a year now that i REALLY wanted to hear a 90s hc sunshine by DSO, as i like the later style of that song better. yall see any taper rigs out there? thanks

Ripple88 ... that is 2 bad 4 you and your friends... dont let the door hit you on the way out...

Chuck - more dancing room for us !!!!!!!!!!

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Love it when someone actually says what so many people, I am imagining, were thinking!!!

Look at those songs...just look at them:

HC Sunshine, Walkin' Blues, Jack-a-roe, Desolation Row, Ramble on Rose, Music Never Stopped

Those are all CLASSICS in my book no matter what the era...and will never complain about hearing ANY of them at ANY time!!!

And Lazy River Road, in my opionion is a wonderful, beautiful song...that John K does masterfully. Shame I never heard the GD perform it live, but, alas, it was after my days seeing the boys were done.

OK, i admit...Broken Arrow is near the bottom of my list...although seeing Kevin sing a song is ALWAYS a treat.

an apropos quote from a classic TV theme song seems to fit here...

"you take the good...you take the bad...you take them both...and there you have...the facts of life...the facts of life"

B)

The show was solid.....took a while to get going, but was real nice

The HCS was a mess imo...perhaps because I never cared for the 90s arrangement, but after that they settled in nicely......I never liked DEsolation Row when the Dead did it, but enjoyed it last night...Rob did a good job reading the words yet still singing it with passion......The Ramble on Rose was better than the one on Wednesday night.......Music was stellar as usual......2nd set was solid throughout with great jamming.....I thought the Franklin's was rushed and the tempo too quick, but the 2nd half of the song was great......all in all a solid if not memorable show and a great time....

• Forum MVP

What Matt , Jfolks, and Spuddsv said.

You can't argue about taste (and I've said that in latin before), but I am pretty much on the same page as Jordan and Spuds here. And a Jackaroe - one of the great dancing songs!!!!

And somewhere I think I read an interview in which JK said I Fought the Law was about his least fav to play...

:dsorocks::dsorocks:

And somewhere I think I read an interview in which JK said I Fought the Law was about his least fav to play...

yes, Chuck... that and "When Push comes to Shove", if we read the same interview. (something about not being able to 'get behind the lyric "the fear within you grows....."

As far as last nights show, the inclusion of that song and "Desolation Row" (apparently not a fav of Dino's) and Corrina (which was mentioned heavily in the "songs you hate" thread) made me bring up that old topic...

But the thing is, you just gotta trust their judgement and let them do their thing. How much would we hate it if they actually honored requests? It can't be 1977 every night. But walking out? Please.

On some level, instead of fretting about what era they will play, you just have to put your faith in them and trust them to be the righteous (and rightful) caretakers of the music that they have proven themselves to be......... Even if it means playing "I fought the Law".

:dsorocks::cheers:

Guest captain420

Thanks for the 93 stuff...can't get enough!

HC Sunshine played 90s style...fuck yea~

Broken Arrow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU KEVIN!

Lazy River Road......can it get better?

Corrina

HSF

Crazy fingers.....

Looked like a fun night.......too bad there are complaints with the song selections...

Bring on the 90's~ :D

http://www.archive.org/details/dso2007-05-17..flac16

Archived