Starland show was very...

Guest GreatNorthSpecial

Guest GreatNorthSpecial

disappointing. First off I went in about 10 mins. after doors opened, because of what happened at the Princeton show. I end up stading around for an hour for an opening act that played one good tune (the first one). Then, I stand around for another hour for DSO. I thought the first set was horrendous, with a couple exceptions : Mr. Charlie and parts of BEW. The crowd there sucked. Everyone was so rude, and concerned about no one but themselves. I stuck around until Let It Grow, then I split. First time I ever walked out on any show. Sorry DSO, but last night was the worst show I have been to ( and it is MOSTLY because of the crowd)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

i also went to the show last night. yes, the crowd sucked, but it always does at the the starland. i thought the show, however, was excellent. here is my best shot at the setlist-

set 1-

stranger

brown eyed women

cassidy

mr charlie

cumberland blues

masterpiece

blow away

set 2-

aiko

WRS>let it grow>

wheel>

jam>

drums>

space>

terrapin>

sunrise>

lovelight

somehow i don't remember the encore even though it was the last song played...i'm sure someone can fill in the holes for me. first set highlights, for me, were cassidy, blow away and cumberland. the jam the came out of the wheel was unexpected and very enjoyable. i love to just hear these guys play :cheers:

I must humbly beg to differ with the Great North Special. Seems like you accumulated a little too much baggage by the time DSO took the stage to actually have a good time. Maybe the opener wasn't your cup of tea, but by what measure do you pass 'one good song' judgment? It can't be by the skill of the band. They were tight, funky, and Rodney Holmes is a monster on the drums.

I would suggest to those who weren't there last night to keep the faith. I thought DSO was happy, motivated and showing the signs of a band that is well in stride. Lots of great moments. I don't think these guys are capable of mailing in a show these days.

Thanks for another real good time.

there was also a west la fadaway in 1st set, box of rain opened 2nd set, short drums in between LIT, touch of grey encore....and the show did have a touch of grey, but i don't think it was the band, rob said they had to put together equipment quick cause they have jam on the river today, so if the show sounded weak it was sound quality(IMHO), and the shitty venue....all together i thought it was a good show 2nd set being the highlight of the night, i thought aiko was high energy, the jammin in WRS>LIT was delicate, but thunderous at the same time, and the jam after the wheel was very interesting, lovelight always a treat, LISA you fucking rock babe!!!

unexpected and very enjoyable. i love to just hear these guys play
i agree just a great ride for me always

I stuck around until Let It Grow, then I split. First time I ever walked out on any show. Sorry DSO, but last night was the worst show I have been to ( and it is MOSTLY because of the crowd)

I agree that the first set was a little slow, with the exceptions noted (there was also an Esau and West LA Fade Away in there). Things definitely picked up in the second set though. Too bad you left after Let It Grow. I was so energized by Lovelight that I didn't even have to stop for coffee for my drive home after the show! BTW, the encore was Touch of Grey.

• Forum MVP

I personally do not care 4 the venue, after the l.i. show which was first rate, i didn't like the sound either but it got much better up front, thanks Brian, great idea, it was really nice to meet all the people on the board which in itself made the show really nice but I always cared for the theatre scene more then the bar scene ,maybe its my intorence with people that drink to much but james gave me a copy of the baltimore show which made the ride home really nice& when i went through the d.w.i. check point up on rt.15 & the cop asked me were I've been ,I simply said i went to see the orchestra. he said have a safe ride home. It works every time. peace to all, steve

Guest GreatNorthSpecial
I must humbly beg to differ with the Great North Special. Seems like you accumulated a little too much baggage by the time DSO took the stage to actually have a good time. Maybe the opener wasn't your cup of tea, but by what measure do you pass 'one good song' judgment? It can't be by the skill of the band. They were tight, funky, and Rodney Holmes is a monster on the drums.

I would suggest to those who weren't there last night to keep the faith. I thought DSO was happy, motivated and showing the signs of a band that is well in stride. Lots of great moments. I don't think these guys are capable of mailing in a show these days.

Thanks for another real good time.

The opening act was extremely talented,yes, however very repetitive. Got a little boring, Their drummer and bassist tore it up though. Yes, think by the time DSO hit the stage I was already in such a foul mood the music did little to bring me out of it. I forgot about Cumberland..that was good. I'm sorry if my original post sounded bad. But I didn't like the song choice for the first set (minus the exceptions) and I guess I just wasn't in the right frame of mind. Oh well, what can you do? There is always next time. Can't wait.

• Forum MVP
The opening act was extremely talented,yes, however very repetitive. Got a little boring, Their drummer and bassist tore it up though. Yes, think by the time DSO hit the stage I was already in such a foul mood the music did little to bring me out of it. I forgot about Cumberland..that was good. I'm sorry if my original post sounded bad. But I didn't like the song choice for the first set (minus the exceptions) and I guess I just wasn't in the right frame of mind. Oh well, what can you do? There is always next time. Can't wait.

The crowd was a little boisterous for my liking- too many singers or better yet screamers for my tastes but it was dso and while LI was outstanding, I was hoping for an original setlist. Highlights Mr. Charlie, Aiko, Masterpiece, Cumberland, and Lovelight. (Lisa got a little Pigpen in her these days!!!)

Guest crazy digits

GNS......Next time DSO plays the Starland, you can hook up with the 25-30 of us for 3rd annual dinner extravaganza at Ria Mar, a portuguese (sp) restaurant....simple enough, we meet at 7 pm ish, eat and drink ( watch out for the sangria ) ( go ask Greg abou that ), blow off the the first band because they always suck...by the time you get to the show, you can be as rude as the rest of them.......because of the sangria of course!!!!!! By the time we get to the show, it is DSO time....I agree with the first set... a little rough...The second set was nice......night before in LI was hot!

peace and love to you all. Thanks DSO for helping us dead to the core :-)

Starland Ballroom is like a theater-in-the-round honky tonk- i.e., it sucks! With regard to the crowd, I generally try to claim space near people that I respect and who will allow me to dance, thus, let me become enmeshed in the music and forget about the people and places around me! I wish every show could have the energy of a Lovelight or Not fade Away, but that wouldn't be fair to DSO or real. Life has its highs and lows, and we just have to learn to live with them!

Peace,

Jersey Steve

PS Mighty, mighty cool that Rob Eaton had dinner with us at the Ria Mar. :icon14:

Thanks Rob!!!!

• Forum MVP

The actual and full list of this show:

!: Stranger

B.E.Women

Brother Esau

West LA

Mr Charlie

Cassidy

Cumberland

Masterpiece

Blow Away

Liberty

2: Box of Rain>

Aiko

WRS>

Wheel>

Jam>

Drumz>

Terrapin>

Sunrise>

Lovelight

E: Touch

Awesome show at a shitty venue with a weird crowd. Uptight security preshow, very messed up crowd inside and on the floor throughout the show. First set was very well done with highlights being the Charlie, Cassidy, Cumberland..personally i like the Stranger opener, and the Liberty to close the first..Masterpiece, B.E.Women, and Blow Away were also sweet, well done treats...Second set started off on an smokin step with the Box>Aiko which was bumpin and bouncin! I thought the WRS was very nice and went into an unexpected Wheel with sick jam into the drumz..Loved the Terrapin, but the Sunrise brought down the crowd and was in the wrong spot completely..but..the Lovelight was the highlight of the show and was fillled with lots of energy !! Once again, thank you DSO for a real good time!! (Maybe take the Starland off the tour list))

Guest rowjimmy

I would have to agree with most of the posters that the crowd made Rowlisa and me a bit uncomfortable. First set was a bit mellow but the second set smoked with Lisa blowing the doors off at the end.

Each show is a gift in its own way and was glad to finally put faces to the names for some of you from the forum. Looking forward to the 6/6 show at the Bergen Performing Arts Center.

Guest augustwest1

I don't know maybe it's me but I had a good time there at the Ballroom. We parked at the armory (which is across the street ) lit the grills, opened the adult beverages, spread out the seats and tailgaited for a few hours before the show. It was a beautiful night so we enjoyed the party.

I do agree the 1st set was a bit slow but I enjoyed a few gems. The second set was better ( as it usually is). There was one pain in the neck that started yelling out "darkstar" before the 1st song and kept it up most of the night w/ a few "whipping posts" ? but where I was the crowd was ok. There still seems to be a problem ( the Dead started having it w/ all the touch heads ) which is some of the younger fans think they are supposed to drink until they are throwing up. They also tend to be drinking hard liqour as opposed to beer which I think is the biggest problem w/ the rudeness and "asshole" type of behavior. Very rarely is the bad behavior coming from a "experienced" head.

Anyway I enjoyed the show and looking forward to the next. I hope they don't decide to cancel the Ballroom, I soooo enjoy the central jersey shows ( for sellfish reasons ).

nothing left to do but smile smile smile.

Peace

Guest captain420
& the cop asked me were I've been ,I simply said i went to see the orchestra. he said have a safe ride home. It works every time. peace to all, steve

:lol: Nice one Steve~

what is it with the NE shows? the crowd always seems to be full of dicks!

Guest jamesr

First, just a nod to Great Northern in the sense that not liking a show might very well mean that the band wasn't playing that great. If we think that the DSO blew us away on a certain night, we are trying to make an objective observation, so we don't need to say "well, it was just your mood" if someone doesn't like a show.

Second, the band has had some sound problems. I'd like to know more about this from the band's perspective. How come sometimes the whole first set sounds all jumbled and the second set is clear? ALso, the sound at the State was awful. One dimensional, no clarity of instruments. The sound at the Starland was pretty bad. The highs were real grating, and again, pretty one dimensional. I'm not a sound expert, but I'm a damn good listener, and the music has sound problems, seems like every third show.

Finally, I had a great time at Starland!!!!! Of course, any time I'm with Kira, it's a highlight. We met so many friends, it seemed like half the venue was full of family. It also seemed like the other half was full of drunk nimrods. What's with the screaming over the PA "two more minutes for $3.00 shots"?? Yuck. Is it me, or are these big bars a liability because of all the alcohol? I know they make big bucks from it. I like the theatres myself (however, as bad as the Electic Factory is as a venue, the sound there is great).

First set was 'eh.'. As our neighbor said "it sounded like a giant ambien." (except for Cumberland and a couple others). Second set Box was a throwaway, but then the show became great! Aiko was a thriller, and WRS was swollen with meaning. Loved the jams led by John K. The band was really into it. Terrapin was great, except for "the whistler" dude next to me. I mean really, must you whistle during the soft parts?? I would have preferred a more musical ending to Lovelight, but OK.

Like my friend Larry used to say after a Dead show in the '80's, "I'm all better now", that's how I feel about the DSO. I feel more in touch with possibilities.

Love to all,

Jamesr

Guest darbysdad

Hey All My New Friends I Met At Ria Mar

Posting A Little Late Today Because Our House Got Zapped With A Bolt Fom The Sky-Fried Two Plugged In PC's,Three TV's,No AC,Just A Mess

Daughter In Basment Got Shocked Pretty Good,But OK.Lucky This Laptop Was Unplugged.Surge Protecters Blew Out Too

Anyways,The Starland Crowed Did Not Stop Us From Having A Grate Time ,Plenty Of Dancing Room ,Killer West La,Casssidy,Cumberland,Mr.Charley,Esau,Aiko,Lovelight,Touch

Special Thanks To Chuck V For That Sweaty Hug At The End

Herdy-You Da Man

James,Kira Blythe,August,Dave,Bix,et al-See You Down The Road

We just had a blast on Saturday night, starting with the killer dinner and ending with the sweaty hugs after Touch of Gray.

Thanks to all who participated and most important, coordinated the Portuguese dinner event! It was very special to see old friends and put faces to our new ones. Everyone arrived with time to mingle; the sangria flowed; and no one was eating off of anyone else

Wow so happy to hear so many voices speaking the TRUTH... When I posted the TRUTH about the Baltimore show I was made out to be one of those drunk assholes.... glad to hear all of you express yourself about the issues around this community... cause remember " those kind take care of themselves" Look forward to the next time it "FEELS" better at a show and we can all be walking out with big smiles on our faces... when push comes to shove >>> some are just afraid of love.....

Guest captain420

bloomer, true....

but ya know what folks, ya can't win 'em all....

The band has been touring pretty freakin' hardcore the past few years...there have been A LOT of changes in the past year...count your blessings....

• Forum MVP
bloomer, true....

but ya know what folks, ya can't win 'em all....

The band has been touring pretty freakin' hardcore the past few years...there have been A LOT of changes in the past year...count your blessings....

I never ever have left DSO show unstatisfied and that can not be said for the last few gd shows I saw. This whole experience is such a bonus, a feeling that I never thought I would have again, and we are so lucky that they (DSO) have deadicated their lives to bring us this unbelievable gift AGAIN!!

I agree that the band is bring the gift of music to all that open themselves to it. The professionalism is second to none!!! When the music plays the band and it all clicks "wow" I find myself feeling as blessed as can be.... That feeling is worth the highest level of respect in my book ... Not to dwell on the negative, however; It doesn't help it work when, those who know exactly what they are doing, show no respect to anyone including themselves. Its like some get off on being being that way. I love people and the relationships made along the way on this "golden road". The folks that bring their kids to shows are the most positive aspect to this wonderful community. It is nice to know that others have that loving feeling too and willing to share it with like minded souls. God Bless!!!

• Advisory Board
When I posted the TRUTH about the Baltimore show I was made out to be one of those drunk assholes....

Ummm... I believe that was YOU calling ME a drunk asshole......

I agree that the band is bring the gift of music to all that open themselves to it. The professionalism is second to none!!! When the music plays the band and it all clicks "wow" I find myself feeling as blessed as can be....

Now that is truth!

Archived