Starland show was very...

Guest GreatNorthSpecial

• Forum MVP

at the conclusion of this show I had would never have thought that anyone would complain about it. the venue was seemingly full of drunk assholes, particularly the kid with the rabbit ears. the only major sound problem I noticed was that it was difficult to hear over all the talking.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest captain420

It seems you folks from up there know how the crowd, not only the music plays the band. The crowd is in integral part of this, when it is fucked up, then it usually leads to other things directly linked, to have potential to well, fuck up.

Reading the posts about the "Drunk Assholes" and so-forth just keep wetting my appetite for the ledges....lord knows the crowd there knows how to show some respect towards each other and the band.....or let's just hope that it will stay that way for years to come. Have no fear, the ledges are near.

Starland/Sayerville-Old Bridge is well known in NJ as home of w/trash but there are always a few gems in the dirt.

I thought the setlist and sound was a little weak not the band. Lisa -Sunrise and Lovelight soooo good Johns jams and all the rest of you, Thanks!

Just an idea, State Theater in New Brunswick NJ instead of Starland. Nice venue probably a more mature crowd.

• Forum MVP

very interesting topic here. I enjoyed all viewpoints, only thing I'll say is that I have a problem with any venue that doesn't care for it's patrons safety, during, or after the show. To announce "5 minutes left for $3 shots" is borderline criminal. Did the venue in addition to it's pushing alcohol have a Designated Driver Program similar to the Pepsi Center in Denver? Here in Denver if you see an event at Pepsi Center you can sign a sheet saying that you're the DD for the evening, won't be drinking alcohol, and you're given a coupon for a FREE pepsi product. At the Fox and Boulder Theater here, I don't know if it's policy, but I've told the bartenders that I'm the DD and they comp me soda the whole night.

Reminds me of seeing The Grateful Dead in the early 90's, there was a serious herb shortage on tour and the masses switched to alcohol. That's when the bathrooms started looking quite disgusting, the beer/alcohol vendors out numbered the "soft" vendors by 10:1. You could find a beer at 47 locations with no waiting and a 20 minute wait for a bottle of water from 3 locations.(ok, I'm exaggerating but you get my point)

:looky:

• Forum MVP

As I had said to Bix that evening,"Your going from the lap of luxery (Westbury)to the bowels of New Jersey"The Starland has always been a dump and always will be.I must say however compared to that Aggie Theatre I was at a couple of years ago in Colorado the Starland is a palace.The constant pushing of the alcohol on Saturday night was way over the top.If you think the crowd was bad (and it was)you should have seen when Marshall Tucker was there,fights galore,and non-stop drinking of hard liquor and if you looked at someone the wrong way they wanted to fight.I saw no fights on Saturday night at the Starland.What I did see was a bunch of immature,drud induced,rude behavior from alot of younger heads that were in attendance.If you remember it was during the Touch Of Gray days that the scene really took a turn for the worse.

I would much rather see DSO in a theatre setting personally.DSO will probably do a show this summer at The Stone Pony in Asbury and if not for all the nostaglia, The Pony is a bigger dump than the Starland.As a earlier poster stated I would hope that the Starland is not taken out of the rotation because I live in East Brunswick which is 15 minutes from Sayreville.Its not your ideal venue for sure but DSO always sells alot of tickets at The Starland.This past Saturday the crowd for some reason was different from what it has been in years past.I posted in past years that it is up to us to protect the scene.DSO is going places and the sky is the limit right now for this band,as more people get turned on to DSO the harder its going to be to keep it real.The futures here we are on our own.We all need to do our little part to not let others ruin what is in store during the next few years.

On a lighter note it was GREAT to get together with everyone at dinner Saturday.You are all beautiful people and I am so thankful that I have made so many wonderful friends,at a time in my life when I need them most.Take care everyone,have a good week.

Peace,

Greg

Guest crazy digits

I think another venue in the area may be a abetter choice? The State Theatre in New Brunswick would be an idea as someone spoke about before. I had a good time but can certainly understand everyone's concerns.

Guest captain420
What I did see was a bunch of immature,drug induced,rude behavior from alot of younger heads that were in attendance.If you remember it was during the Touch Of Gray days that the scene really took a turn for the worse.

Hey, didn't they Encore with "Touch of Grey" that night? B)

• Forum MVP

I couldn't agree with augest more,the pony is the worst goddam place ,other then the starland. They were even pushing that cardboard crap they call pizza every 15 min over the speakers, thats why i don,t mind driving any where from 2 to 6 hours to see them play in a nice venue. Some one was talking about the scene changing back in 86 -87 , fri nites show was in a nice venue but when i see these people wearing run- dmc shirts or tupac , I,m not passing judgement on ones clothing but i get a sense that they are not into d.s.o. but walking around selling ballons, i know my grammer sucks but i just can"t help to think of whats happened in the past & that what we are experencing with this band is truely magical , I just hope it doesn"T get ruined. I hope i didn't offend anyone its just how i feel. peace steve

The great thing about the stone pony is if it's outdoors!! That in itself makes it sweet. Also it's right across the street from the ocean. I consider the stone pony outdoor shows some of my favorite in the north east for those reasons. Yeah I was a bit lost at Sayreville but had no problems with the fans. Good to see you guys and best of luck ALL.

Anth

Guest GreatNorthSpecial

I too,live 15-20 minutes from Starland. I have seen many shows there. On the 26th, the crowd was not nearly as bad as it has been, but it was the worst DSO crowd I have seen.I'm not at all saying they should cease to play there, it's not their fault, this is New Jersey we are talking about. Everyone here has made good points. It's not really up to anybody but YOU to do your part and be responsible, obviously not everyone will, but we can try right?

This past saturday's show was a microcosm of what happened to the scene in the late 80's and continued to spiral downhill. Many newcomers came for just that. "THE SCENE". No interest in the music whatsoever. Instead they came to get "fucked up". Which was easily achieved. Many of them never even bothered to go into the shows. No ticket , no problem. Same old bullshit. There are those who come to hear music and those who come to strictly party. And as always the partiers piss off the listeners. It's why I eventually stopped going to shows. That and the ever deteriorating shape of Jerry and the music itself. It ALL became quite unlistenable. As Mcnally said, "THAT DAMN HIT". Funny, the Starland show was mainly 80's Dead save for a couple songs. Pretty ironic I think. I hadn't seen DSO in a while, so I loved it. Great to see everybody at The Ria Mar. And really cool of Eaton to stop in.

Guest captain420
I realize that in my haste I spelled "GREY" wrong.I surmise thats why you highlighted it.Now I know how Eaton feels when you guys break his balls about spelling.And yes they did encore Touch Of GREY.

Actually, the word Grey can be spelled 2 different ways, (gotta love the English language).

I applied bold to the phrase,or highlight, whatever...to just emphasize my point...correlation...

I am NOT trying to call you out for your grammatical error. I just prefer the spelling 'Grey'....

notenuff,

nuff said. my point exactly. ;)

• Forum MVP
You could find a beer at 47 locations with no waiting and a 20 minute wait for a bottle of water from 3 locations.(ok, I'm exaggerating but you get my point)

Actually, Looky, according to my recollections of Soldier, Buckeye, Riverport, and Auburn Hills, and even Deer Creek, you are exaggerating only a little bit.

Guest augustwest1

Any idea about the Count Bassie Theatre in Red Bank ? There are a lot of good bars in RB, it could be a better choice than Starland and they would be able to keep a central Jersey location - just an idea.

I got a better idea... stay the fuck out of JERSEY!!!!

:)

A better idea is to remember that the problem is not the assholes in the world but how I respond to them!

Some of the nicest people I have ever met are from New Jersey. It's called New Jersey but people from out of state like to call it Jersey for some reason?

• Advisory Board

Cause there ain't nothin 'New' about that place! :)

Actually, if it wasn't for the traffic, the no-left-turns-unless-you-turn-right thingies, and no street signs anywhere, I could deal with Jersey.... but it doesn't so I can't...

Cause there ain't nothin 'New' about that place! :)

Actually, if it wasn't for the traffic, the no-left-turns-unless-you-turn-right thingies, and no street signs anywhere, I could deal with Jersey.... but it doesn't so I can't...

Herdy, there is always something new in New Jersey - New Construction. Actually NJ can be dificult to get around in if you don't know where you are or going. NJ has some great places- country farms, rivers, lakes, hills, etc. NJ gets a bad rap because too many people fly into Newark and stay on the main highways and never venture off the beaten path. NJ is the garden state for a reason. Just gotta poke around!

Guest GreatNorthSpecial
Nah, man, I've been getting into their idea of how to make a left turn...

HAHA took awhile?

Herdy, there is always something new in New Jersey - New Construction. Actually NJ can be dificult to get around in if you don't know where you are or going. NJ has some great places- country farms, rivers, lakes, hills, etc. NJ gets a bad rap because too many people fly into Newark and stay on the main highways and never venture off the beaten path. NJ is the garden state for a reason. Just gotta poke around!

I get lost in my own damn town! its madness i tell you

• Forum MVP

Jeez Herdy I guess that means your move to Keansburg isn't going to happen.New Jersey really gets a bad rap,we really have some nice places here.Unfortunetely you have been to some pretty lousy areas in Jersey.Ask Bix about Princeton,I bet he tells you what a nice place it was.I bet if you stray from the harbor in Baltimore, it isn't to pretty either.Take care bro.

• Forum MVP

And I have to give the state full and just props for the Little Festival that was actually pretty damn awesome, a/k/a Camp Jam in the Pines, a/k/a the Mini-Ledges, where the President and I saw the greatest band that isn't DSO....

tn_82606-361.jpg

Archived