On The Throwing Of Glowsticks

Guest NASA

fuck glowsticks, balloons, beachballs, etc....

two reasons i hate them: one, they distract me from the music, from the x-factor.... you know when dso is playing incredibly as usual and you lose your sense of space/time/reality and nothing else in the world exists except you and the music and your dancing with your eyes closed and the music takes you higher than drugs possibly can then *BLAM* it all washes away in an instant because a 10 lb beachball just hot you in the head then fell to the ground and you tripped on it so now you just want to throw it to get it out of the way and now your back in reality and the guitar solo is over and you werent paying attention cause you just got hit in the head by a freakin beachball.... i hate that shit. and seeing people hit the balloons/beachballs in the air is also distracting...

but secondly, is that people throw glowstix at the band. or so it seems. this pisses me the hell off. how disrespectful can you be?? not to mention your distracting the band from their music, when theyre dodging missiles.

kira wears Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman's hat for protection against glwosticks at the ledges, and left during the second set of one of the shows because she was getting constantly bombarded by flying glowstix... despite the funny hat's protection... this is getting outta hand people.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As uaccustomed as I am to public speaking....

I have taken the time to register a name on this forum to talk about the throwing of glowsticks at our shows. It's a cool effect, I'll admit... especially if you're twisted... but the problem comes when they get thrown at the stage. In addition to distracting the performers, those plastic tubes can scuff the finishes of the instruments or damage exposed speaker cones (as JK's speakers are)... this fad did start at Phish shows as far as I know, and the glowstick fights durring "Harry Hood" were in response to the song, not an expected high point of just ANY song. The people who figure they are giving out a hippie free-bee or "adding to the show" are perhaps innocently distributing them, but in the hands of a chaotic little imp they become a missle, not a trip toy.

Although no one else in the band has said so publicly yet (to my knowin'), I can tell you that we don't enjoy the glowstick showers. I'm not going to start raving like my old man, saying "Damn Kids" and shaking my fist, but I'm going to apeal to the audience to keep your glow in the audience. Wave 'em around all you like, put them in your hair, mouth, cover yourself in them until you are irradiated, but please, please PLEASE - Don't throw them. Not at each other, and definitely not at the stage. The folks in the band have spent a lot of money and in some cases a lot of time aquiring the pieces of equipment we need to make the music sound like it does...

... as well as hiring the best engineer for the job... *koff koff*...

... these guitars, drums, speakers in the cabinets, have all been deliberately chosen for the job... and they take enough abuse bouncing down thousands of miles of highway every year in order to produce the music. Some of the guitars have belonged to these guys since they were teen-agers, so without giving too much personal information about the band away, in some cases we're talking about instruments which were made before the Magna Carta was signed!

But seriously, these instruments can't be replaced and refinishing them destroys the value so it's not an option... and if you damage one of John's speakers, it's not like we've got a replacement just laying on the side of the stage... some of the speakers in the cabinets John's using are formerly a certain guitar player's property if you take my meaning, and there just ain't no more of them. Eaton's Modulous guitars are fairly-much one of a kind, Koritz has had his drum kit since he was a kid, Kevin's bass guitars are rare birds...

... and then there's MY @#*%&!!! MICROPHONES...

... but I digress. :blush: I have a talent for it.

Glowsticks are cool, and we don't want anyone to stop having a "Lit Up" fun night, but consider the fact that the band is there to concentrate and lose themselves in the music that's asking to get out of them... don't distract them from listening to the muse, or they might make a mistake in the translation we're all hoping to somehow understand... or at least, well... you understand what I'm getting at...

... and one other thing to consider: If you are going to freely distribute these pieces of plastic for everyone's amusement, AT LEAST PICK UP A FEW OF THEM UP ON YOUR WAY OUT, ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU DO IT OUTDOORS IN A BEAUTIFUL FIELD OF GRASS OR WOODED LOCALE. Glowsticks are a good time but in addition to containing mildly toxic juice they're not all that biodegradible.

That's all, and I don't mean this to sound mean-spirited or commanding or officious in any way. I am not attempting to speak for everyone but I thought it might be an idea to consider.

If you bring glowsticks, just bring enough for your personal use... we like the fact that they're around because they ARE cool, but keep 'em in your hands/ hair/ clothing/ orifice of choice... after all, the tune says "Let there be SONGS to fill the air"... not glowsticks.

Thanks and see you around the playground!

~Cameron~

DSO Sound Engineer

B)

Cameron...many thanks for your comments on this issue! I hit the big 5-5 today and am well aware that I'm entering my "pre-curmudgeonly" stage ("Damn kids!!!"). But here's the thing...the 2nd set in Springfield, OH was a beautiful thing and I was totally taken out of the moment by the airborne glowsticks! As you said, it's hard to imagine the BAND staying "tuned in" while they try to avoid flying hunks of plastic!!!

I'm with you. I love to LOOK at them from a distance and in someone's personal space. If we keep them to ourselves and take into account that not everyone ENJOYS getting hit with them, we'll all be a lot better off. Do unto others and all that...

Wellllllllllllll.............seeings how we're on the subject of irritating shittttt.......couldn't agree more with the "ban the glowsticks" rally call, at least airbourne glowsticks. Just love dancing to the music we love, head thrown back eyes closed......and a glowstick smackin ya upside the head. Saw in a previous post this all began as a Phish thing, figures. And whats with the sudden trend of backbacks being worn throughout the crowd>?????? Some , shall we say youngsters, pushing their way through the crowd and planting themselves 6 inches in front of you with a backpack on that contains all of their worldly possessions. AND THEN....having the balls to have an attitude when asked to remove it or better yet....themselves. C'mon folks, have some respect for your brothers and sisters space. Realize what your there for (hopefully the fantastic music DSO brings to us night in and night out, and not to catch the mother of all buzzes-aimlessy pushing and shoving your way through the masses, stepping on feet, swinging your luggage around just doesn't work people). Jumping on Cams bandwagon with this one....why for the love of god throw glowsticks....balls...balloons etc at the stage????? What is the possible reason for this? Why would you want to distract/harm anyone that chooses to do what these people do for a living when they are up on stage ? These guys (and gal) pour their hearts and soul into their performances night in and night out simply for the joy of it! To make themselves feel good as well as all of us....to try to capture that magic that this music has provided for over 40 years. Never performed in front of any sort of audience myself but I would think being pelted with things from a small percentage of the people in front of me would just absolutely pisssssss me off, at the very least distract me from what I was trying to accomplish. SOOOO.....if for some reason you would like to see the band distracted and worried for the safety of themselves as well as there equipment...continue with this idiocy. You'll probably be the ones complaining the band "just didn't have it tonight"......wonder why.....

Peace

Guest captain420

Actually, I recently read that glowsticks started at dead shows...

so to all that were pissed at Phish....think agiain!

blueslideridger - Tour Opener '92

"Not a bad way to open the spring tour of 92. The West Coast debut of SMR and LWTGH were well received, and the original thought was that Vince might have an interesting voice in this band after all. In the second set there was a really nice jam developing after FOTM when someone launched a glow stick at the stage that almost hit Phil. He quickly took off his bass and left the stage killing the jam. Not a lot of sparks or excitement, just a solid welcome to the tour. This show is a good example of the need to not throw stuff at the stage. Worth having to get a nice early snapshot of two staple of the 90's, and it pretty much is in sync with the entire spring tour."

http://www.archive.org/details/gd92-03-01....4736.sbeok.shnf

"Goes to show, you don't ever know..watch each card you play and play it slow"

• Forum MVP
Actually, I recently read that glowsticks started at dead shows...

so to all that were pissed at Phish....think agiain!

blueslideridger - Tour Opener '92

"Not a bad way to open the spring tour of 92. The West Coast debut of SMR and LWTGH were well received, and the original thought was that Vince might have an interesting voice in this band after all. In the second set there was a really nice jam developing after FOTM when someone launched a glow stick at the stage that almost hit Phil. He quickly took off his bass and left the stage killing the jam. Not a lot of sparks or excitement, just a solid welcome to the tour. This show is a good example of the need to not throw stuff at the stage. Worth having to get a nice early snapshot of two staple of the 90's, and it pretty much is in sync with the entire spring tour."

http://www.archive.org/details/gd92-03-01....4736.sbeok.shnf

"Goes to show, you don't ever know..watch each card you play and play it slow"

Glowsticks "started" long before that, whenever some genius had the pretty good idea to put glowy slightly radioactive gunk into plastic tubes, long before 1992.

In any case, it is still right to say that the "hail of glowsticks" that we "enjoy" today became common with Phish.

That Phil promptly walked off the stage sounds perfect to me. A few episodes like that ought to make the point, and if not then screw it.

People throwing shit at people just is not cool. Anybody should know that.

Glowsticks "started" long before that, whenever some genius had the pretty good idea to put glowy slightly radioactive gunk into plastic tubes, long before 1992.

In any case, it is still right to say that the "hail of glowsticks" that we "enjoy" today became common with Phish.

That Phil promptly walked off the stage sounds perfect to me. A few episodes like that ought to make the point, and if not then screw it.

People throwing shit at people just is not cool. Anybody should know that.

I agree with so very much of this thread. Nothing kills the buzz for those of us standing near the front of the stage to suddenly get hit in head with a flying glow stick or even glow ring. Yes the rings are far less dangerous, but it doesn't change the fact that they totally take you out of your moment.

but y'know, throwing shit at the stage is really not a new development at all... take a look at the Blue Brothers -- remember the scene with the country-western bar? could you imagine DSO having to duck beer bottles at a rate of 30-50 per SONG?

then there was of course a somewhat infamous moment back in the heydey of Guns n' Roses, where some yahoo tossed a lighter to the stage which nailed Axle square in nards.

okay, actually maybe that one was a pretty good moment. if someone could use a projectile to the family jewels I guess it's gotta be Axle Rose. but I digress...

throwin' shit around is highly overrated and pisses other people off

they taught me how to love others and respect the planet, and they taught me how to be sly and get away with a lot of deviancy without getting caught or wrecking someone else's trip.

Thanks Cameron, In the early 80's I stopped going to Dead Shows for a year or two because I didn't want to expose myself to the imature scene at shows I was only 23 but had experienced alot of life.There is a certain maturing that comes with age and more importantly life experiences, Glow sticks are really cool when they don't intrude on others. I was blown away by the glow stick adornments and designs at NLQP last Labor Day, I felt like I was tripping in Tahiti and I havn't tripped in many years. Thanks for bringing this issue to light. I will defend anyones right to live free and get the most out of life and the moment but when your trip iimpedes on the rights of others it is time to become aware that other people live in this world and we should all show respect for on another.

Brian

There is a certain maturing that comes with age and more importantly life experiences

Although this hasn't happened for me yet, my girlfriend remains hopeful that I can some day "grow up".

:rofl:

• Advisory Board
Although this hasn't happened for me yet, my girlfriend remains hopeful that I can some day "grow up".

Yeah... good luck with that one, Cammy...

The only bad experience that I had with glowsticks, was, amazingly enough, my first Grateful Dead show... I was 17 years old, tripping my fool head off, and some fuckbubble around us, broke open a glowstick, and was twirling it overhead, splattering everyone with the juice... Well that juice found it's way into my saucerlike pupils, and I spent the next 20 minutes rubbing the shit out of my eyes... finally some kind woman, pulled my hair, tilted my head back, and dumped some water into my eyes... Cleared it up, but I'm still wary of cracked opened glowsticks...

Yo : )))))

While on this topic .Went to Widespread again last night up in Wallingford, ct. and the joint was pretty empty. Got my GA ticket hour before showtime and walked right down into Johnny Bells kitchen for the whole night. Literally 15 feet from him between him and herring really. UNBELIEVABLE man JB's voice just melts me everytime. Anyway we were ALL feeling it including the band. Schools was LOST in it and I was following his lead big when a tennis ball softly bounded by him towards sonny and he now came out of OUR TRANCE looked up like what the fuck. Grabbed his smoke hit it and tried to find where WE were. Distraction for sure. We found our way soon enough but you know all that shit just really gets in the way of where I'm trying to go. You know JB really drives that gig like a car and if I'm not dialed into that because of flying shit in the air then I really do lose why I came there. He literally faces the drummers or herring or even US and shows the WAY BIGTIME. LEADS the way. Amazing shit really. By the way where am I trying to go : ))))) Hope everyones well.

Anth

I do like to wear them in my crocs so i can sea were I,m going. Peace -steve

Steve you got to do something to make those ugly ass shoes look decent. My feet look better than crocs and you know how tore up my feet are.

Brian

Oh Cammy, I'm going to hell for alot more then that...

Joke of the day for you Christians... (If I offend anyone... that's your problem)

Q: How come Jesus doesn't eat M&M's??

A: Cause they fall through the holes in his hands...

Love that one.

I have seen both Les Claypol and Trey stop a show to call someone out for throwing shit. If you want someone to stop throwing shit, just ask. These "Damn kids" won't throw anything if Rob or John were to ask them to stop it durring the show. "Could you guys please stop throwing glowsticks, it is distracting and dangerous" They shouldn't have to ask, but they are the leaders of the band, and the leaders of this community.

good post Cam, and great soundwork. Perhaps you could post here during the good times as well.

peace...

• Advisory Board

Actually, they have called people out before... a few Gratefulfest's ago, I remember one of them asking them not to throw them because of the children.... and of course, no one listened...

I just got back from a String Cheese Festival. Didn't get to see much of the band as I was working working working and am not really into String Cheese but they had a really cool fire show that I wanted to check out. After the fire show, people were throwing handfulls of glow sticks. There must have been hundreds and possible as many as a thousand of them. I kept thinking about the people getting hit and all of the plastic waste generated. Kind of weird for a "green" crowd. . .

• Forum MVP
I just got back from a String Cheese Festival. Didn't get to see much of the band as I was working working working and am not really into String Cheese but they had a really cool fire show that I wanted to check out. After the fire show, people were throwing handfulls of glow sticks. There must have been hundreds and possible as many as a thousand of them. I kept think obout the people getting hit and all of the plastic waste generated. Kind of weird for a "green" crowd. . .

Kind of like shooting bullets into the air to celebrate a wedding or New Years :huh: Weird

Archived