Pittsburgh 8/6/07

DaysBetween

Let me preface this one by saying that music can be theraputic, and that those darned lines from Dead songs either imitate life, or life imitates them, depending on the situation and one's perspective. See, today we had to put our husky/lab of 13.5 years, Stormy, down; there was nothing else left to do. Thus, I was not in my normal mood heading to the show and frankly it was very weird heading to a place that I LOVE while in such a somber state.

Here's the theraputic part: the whole gig was a good one, but during the end of Estimated, when 95% of the building knows what's coming next, the transition into Eyes of the World was stunning. The audience was immediately given this immense boost of joy, pure innocent joy, as if surprised by the Eyes. Arms raised, smiles beamed, and bodies lifted effortlessly like tissues in the wind. It was this perfect happy moment that made today easier for my wife and I. Thanks go out to band and crowd alike for that one!

Certain lines in Cassidy, L.L.Rain, and B.E.Women really hit home in a way they never did before, but I won't get into the details here. Also in the first set Big River really shined, and the TLEO, which is not in my Top Anything when it comes to favorites, I thought was done as well as I've ever heard.

Like I said, the Eyes was truly something to behold, 'specially that intro. Drums featured everyone (I think) back on stage playing various percussive instruments to a tribal beat. Fantastic!!! I love those! We need more tribal/African stuff in Drums!! NFA really went out in the middle, and GDTRFB > Around rocked as it's supposed to.

Let Me Sing Your Blues Away filler basically sums up in title alone what this show meant to us. Thanks so much. Oh, and "tonight's show was originally performed by the Grateful Dead on 5/14/78...." 'case anybody was wonderin.

P.S. Is it just me, or is Lisa sounding better than EVER?! I mean, she is so on right now.

Sorry to hear about Stormy. Thanks for the early review. Sounds great. For those of us that saw the Spring Tour in '78, they did occasionally come out together for Drums. I remember one show, I think it was Syracuse 5.9.78, in which they did just that. Things are rockin again, SEE YOU ALL IN BETHLAHEM!!!!

• Forum MVP

Just in case anyone is wondering what was performed on 5.14.78 Providence, here's the list:

Half Step, Cassidy, TLEO, L. L. Rain, Roses, Me & My Uncle> Big River, B. E. Women, Let It Grow

Samson, Ship Of Fools, Estimated> Eyes> Drumz> NFA> GDTRFB> Around E: U. S. Blues

hey shad...good to see ya and really sorry about stormy. i know it can be tough.

it is truely amazing that i too was very much not myself either upon arriving at the show. some really shitty personal issues made me not even want to attend the show. but, i figured wtf...just go and "try" to have fun. all i have to say is this...

forget your troubles and dance. forget your sickness and dance. 'cause when the music hits ya feel no pain. so, hit me w/ music...jah, jah...hit me w/ music.

from the opening notes till the end of the show...i did just that...DANCED...like i never did before.

the ENTIRE show SMOKED. it was hot as hell inside the building and the music was scorching.

excellent description of the estimated>eyes transition, shad...it took me away...

i just got done tracking the show and i'm gonna u/l very soon...look for my post later

good to see all of you i saw...can't wait for the next one...wish i was hittin' bethlehem tonight...

listen to the thunder shout...i am, I am, I AM!!!!!

• Forum MVP

sorry about your dog, I too did the same in the fall ,a 16 year old poodle.Got her when the kids were little.I seen that show also in 78 in the third row ,when they left the stage they went to the right hand side and they had a 5 ft. tank w/ a hat on the top of it ,the kind kruitzman used to wear , i remember Jerry was sucking & making some strange noices with his guitar. peace- steve

• Forum MVP

Thank you! Thank you! My request was magically fulfilled (see request post).

Spring 78 (First GD tour).............Providence...My fifth show!!

Lots of Lisa too! In fact wasn't she in front of the drums more than usual?

Dino......you did rock my world.....once again TY all!

See you guys as soon as we intersect again.

That show was fantastic. I have been going to these "kind" of concerts for a good while. This was the first time in years that I had an experience that was this magical. Seriously magical. I don't know why I have not felt this way until last night. One example of the magic: I was dancing and things started getting intense. I noticed some serious energy to my left and started interacting mentally with this person. We didn't say a word or even look at each other. We continued to "communicate" through the entire song. When the song was over we looked at each other for the first time and had a good smile. It was crazy. Then during Ship of Fools I learned all of the lessons of life.

Great time DSO.

THANK YOU!

Lost my Lab a few years back shad. This past weekend I finally scattered her ashes on the Lake Michigan coastline on a favorite bluff of her's....(Woodstock). My wife Cindy and I were in Northern Mi for the Dunegrass shows and the circle was beautiful and complete.

With tears and melancholy came the feeling that Woodstock was finally home in her favorite place.....and of course, The Music Never Stops......

Best....

Howard :cheers:

(((((((((Stormy))))))))))

Wow, reading through these posts I just have to smile. We all have to go through our trials in life, I'm looking at my 14 year Golden lab mix now questioning will this be the day? He's the elder, last of the 5 we've had since he moved here 12 years ago. He's amazing, and has had a wonderful life being part of this family, guiding us through life gracefully, standing by the bed at the birth of each child, our protector and friend.

oops, remember these threads made me smile, don't need to bring on the tears now. Getting back to why I'm smiling. It's this Band, this music, and this community!!! We really can all be there for each other! And DANCE!!! DANCE DANCE DANCE!!! It's the freedom we allow ourselves inside our head, flowing, each word meaning something special at that very moment. Maybe never the same way twice but just the same special.

Thanks for the special review! Can't wait til were all together again.

There ain't nothin like the unconditional love from a family dog. Now its true we love our kids and lovers more, but ya can't get away with the kind of stuff ya can with a dog! When I had to say goodbye to Cheyenne a few years ago, I got a lot of support from, of all places, this board re; EMMA! I sorta feel the same way about this crazy thing called Dar Star. I really don't care what they play, when they play, or where they play. Being in that room when they're "working" is truly an unconditional kind of , dare I say it, love.

Archived