bethlehem

Mango

• Forum MVP

original setlist, with special guests steve kimock and his son, whose name I've forgotten.

to the best of my memory...

...china>rider, Midnight Hour, row jimmy, Hey Pocky Way, Music NEver Stopped...

...Let it rock, Playin>Don't LEt Go>Drums>sPace>sing me back home>Playin...

...easy wind, sisters and brothers....

WOaH.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP
original setlist, with special guests steve kimock and his son, whose name I've forgotten.

to the best of my memory...

...china>rider, Midnight Hour, row jimmy, Hey Pocky Way, Music NEver Stopped...

...Let it rock, Playin>Don't LEt Go>Drums>sPace>sing me back home>Playin...

...easy wind, sisters and brothers....

WOaH.

Sounds about right...Kimock was fantasic, the perfect compliment to the already stellar ensemble, Pocky Way was off the hook, and sing me back home, tears in my eyes, so so special!!!

Lot's of energy in the first set, and mucho exploration in the second...

Just an opinion: If you want to go to a dso show and sit in the first few rows, expect people to dance and when they do, either deal with it or move to the back...

Special thanks to Lisa for the pre-game hospitality!!!

Guest crazy digits

grate night, grate friends, thanks lisa, grate show, kimock and son were on it.

some guy asked me to step to one side and i asked if he knew where he was? first time, i guess?

absolutely wonderful night for a show

I hafta admit that upon first arrival, I thought the venue was a little stuffy and uptight - and did not like the idea of everyone being stuck to their seats... fortunately security was more for show than anything else, and I quickly found myself much furthur down than my designated seats, with plenty of room to boogie in the main aisle going across the floor.

nice to also run into the 'wall of Steves' who had similar scoped out a pretty sweet spot

really loved the China-Rider opener... it may have been the highest energy point of the whole show... I know I was dancing my hardest during that. or is just because I had fresh legs with energy to burn? the world may never know

I totally agree with NY Steve's assessment -- first set was really high energy, and inspired a LOT of dancing 2nd set was somewhat more mellow, very exploratory. That jam on Playin' was just out of control and out of the room. it was different because I wasn't feeling the bug to dance to it, but I just stood there totally transfixed and taken in by the layers and layers of sounds that were pouring forth. Kimock really adds quite a dimension to the DSO sound, it was actually hard to keep up with the band and really 'hear' everything that was happening...

and then Drumz. wow. holy shit.

now normally, I'm not that big a fan of drumz - it's fun and all, but doesn't usually get me going. quite the opposite this time around. Steve's son -- John Morgan -- jumped in on Dino's kit and then the three of them were off pulling each other in different directions but always maintaining continuity. it just went all over the place and was one of most kickass drums I've ever seen

then they come out with not one but two encores. excellent.

Easy Wind got the strut back in my step and had me boogieing down all over again, and then Sisters and Brothers is just such a sweet, sweet tune how can anyone be unhappy with that?

all in all my favorite thing going down last night was watching JK directing traffic amongst himself, Kimock and Barraco. Anytime it came for someone to take a solo, I would see John letting the rest of them know who was going to go and how it was going to go down - pointing out either a Steve-then-Rob-then-John set of ripping solos during Midnight Hour to quickly calling for a 'trading off licks' between himself and Steve during Don't Let Go -- it was amazing watching him work to make sure no one was stepping on anyone else's toes.

this one was definitely a keeper, and I'd be awfully delighted if it showed up on the Archive somewhere along the line

AGREE:

First set was great. Obviously was an original setlist when they opened up with China Cat but the whole thing rocked. Rider was right on. I thought they were going to break into Not Fade Away during the Hey Pocky Way jam but it didn't happen. Music Never Stopped was another high point. Also - there seemed to be active stand-and-dance resistance in the first couple of rows - kind of weird. Sort of like a "comped" group who didn't quite understand why they were there.

DISAGREE:

Second set was just not my cup of tea. Way too much space wrapped around obscure songs (other than Playin', obviously) that a nifty drum session couldn't save. When Easy Wind is the most rockin' song of the set there is something wrong here. Sisters and Brothers should have been Peggy-O - which I think they did on purpose. Same thing with Let It Rock - that had Not Fade Away written all over it.

I'm sorry - they're still a cover band and I go there to hear what I want to hear. Original renditions of Space are not what I'm there for.

Go ahead - kill me.

Miss you Jerry.

ALLLLLL RIGHT!!! Fun times were had by all (Those of us who danced!) Crowd had a lot of DSO virgins. Maybe wanting to see what all the "buzzzzz" was about? Sue & I had fun as usual.. good seeing nwnjsteve, Kris, Brain, NY Steve, nantucket, it's alll good!

The Let It Rock was an unbelievable cosmic connection. My son (HelpSlip) and I on Tuesday were listening to a JGB show from 78 and were making comments on the point of a DSO Let it Rock, and how rare it obviously is. When those first few notes were going, it was "Holy Shit" are you kiddin me?? Here We Go.

Thanks John, it gets better everytime!

I'm sorry - they're still a cover band and I go there to hear what I want to hear. Original renditions of Space are not what I'm there for.

:moon: would you like some curly cries with that WAHmburger?

glad to hear everyone else had a grate time - sounds like a special night

So much fun!!! It was so wonderful to have the band play right in my back yard. I'm hoping that it wasn't the last time either! Bethlehem is beautiful during the Nov-Dec timeframe :);) and a lot less chaotic. Would be interesting to see if the crowd is different at a non-Musikfest show.

PS- Big smiles for the Chinacat opener in our hometown :)

Well, everyone except all of those people leaving early shaking their heads talking about how great the first set was and how they wished the second set had been a clear dedication to JG on the eve of you know what.

• Forum MVP

to be able to hear a let it rock &don't let go pre drums was sick , they just keep on amazingme, touch of grey would of gotten those dudes off their asses,not that I'm knocking that song .I would love to thank the lady for yelling at my wife &I to sit down during china-rider up in the balcany,it made me get down on the floor,fantastic love yas all ,can't wait til ohio.Peace- steve

• Advisory Board

The crowd was a bit on edge, and I had a few problems myself, but fuck em... When I get told to sit down or to please move out of the way, I look back, laugh in their faces, and dance harder.... but then again, I'm an asshole...

To the "just-a-cover-band" person, glad you enjoyed the first set, I thought the second set was fuckin' sick... that Let it Rock, Don't Let Go, and Sing Me Back Home was fan-fuckin-tastic!! To each their own, I had a blast the whole show!

Special thanks to Lisacat!! Love ya girl, thanks for the hospitality!!!!

• Forum MVP
Well, everyone except all of those people leaving early shaking their heads talking about how great the first set was and how they wished the second set had been a clear dedication to JG on the eve of you know what.

Dude, go see more than one show before you start speaking for "all those people" and the second was a "clear dedication" to JG. Instead of throwing in your touch of grey single, try exploring some of the music the JERRY loved to play, which was the second set. He wanted out of the GD so badly in the end because he wanted to explore other genres of music, i.e JGB.

And if you want to hear requests or "dead cover band", hire your own fucking band...

• Forum MVP

Ditto to almost all the above... :grouphug: ...that second set was the kind of spiritual expression that summed up the soul of the Man. No more need for me to gild the lily...except to again thank the hostess with the mostest. Thank you Lis, and everyone else in the family.

Dancin', dancin' in the aisles... :icon14:B)

Ditto to almost all the above... :grouphug: ...that second set was the kind of spiritual expression that summed up the soul of the Man. No more need for me to gild the lily...except to again thank the hostess with the mostest. Thank you Lis, and everyone else in the family.

Dancin', dancin' in the aisles... :icon14:B)

You guys are ALL the best! I'm so happy you guys were able to hang out- couldn't ask for better company:)! I hope we can make it happen again sometime!!!! Hope everyone made it home safety too!

xoxo,

Lisa

• Forum MVP
AGREE:

First set was great. Obviously was an original setlist when they opened up with China Cat but the whole thing rocked. Rider was right on. I thought they were going to break into Not Fade Away during the Hey Pocky Way jam but it didn't happen. Music Never Stopped was another high point. Also - there seemed to be active stand-and-dance resistance in the first couple of rows - kind of weird. Sort of like a "comped" group who didn't quite understand why they were there.

DISAGREE:

Second set was just not my cup of tea. Way too much space wrapped around obscure songs (other than Playin', obviously) that a nifty drum session couldn't save. When Easy Wind is the most rockin' song of the set there is something wrong here. Sisters and Brothers should have been Peggy-O - which I think they did on purpose. Same thing with Let It Rock - that had Not Fade Away written all over it.

Go ahead - kill me.

Miss you Jerry.

this makes me kind of sick.

"Sisters and Brothers should have been Peggy-O - which I think they did on purpose. Same thing with Let It Rock - that had Not Fade Away written all over it."

SHOULD have been? you might go there to hear what you want to hear but I know a lot of us go there to so the Dark Star Orchestra, no matter what they play.

one more thing--- "original renditions of space". would you rather them just play songs with no improv? that wouldn't be in the nature of the dead.

sorry to bitch

what I a great show, I really didn't think i'd hear any complaints about it..

I just wanna make it clear that we were all told to dance in the space in front of the seats, too bad if you wanted to sitt the whole show...other then the weird vibes from the people seating, the show was fucking awesome!! first set was just hit after hit, the china> rider opener just set the whole tone for the night, fun loving music. the tmns went into directions only the ghost of jerry could of brought it and if that solo exchange had a winner JOHN K ALL THE WAY!! Second Set did it for me i don't know what that dude is talking about let it ROCK was truly amazing i love that song and don't forget Jerry loved MR.B...playin was standard weird transition into Don't let Go but DOn't let go was an awesome awesome awesome treat(esp. since i posted it on the request board). Sing me back home was lovely i had a feeling they would do it and they did it all night long, just beautiful. The Easy Wind was true musical beauty, i love it when they make me dance so hard(even in the morning when i have to go to work). all together great show, great day, lovely music!

p.s. steve and chris i'm glad that you left the balcony see ya at Maryland show! and brain i know you had a good time.

• Forum MVP
Dude, go see more than one show before you start speaking for "all those people" and the second was a "clear dedication" to JG. Instead of throwing in your touch of grey single, try exploring some of the music the JERRY loved to play, which was the second set. He wanted out of the GD so badly in the end because he wanted to explore other genres of music, i.e JGB.

And if you want to hear requests or "dead cover band", hire your own fucking band...

you had to get him going..... next time just stay home.....

• Forum MVP

you had to get him going..... next time just stay home.....

love the cats, again a BIG thank you!!!!!!!!

JEEZ, I can just feel the love. Hey Steve, lighten up. I didn't mention a touch of grey single and I've been to lots and lots of shows - I'm pretty sure that I'm a bit older than you from your tone. Acknowledging that 99.9% of the posters on this board are diehard DSO fans who will eat up anything that is served, I didn't expect to get much agreement but let's remember a couple of things -

There were plenty of less-than-perfect dead shows and we all just acknowledged that was the way it was - of course, opinions were based more on energy than setlists. People generally weren't flamed for giving an opinion, but then again, the internet didn't exist yet.

As to whether DSO is a cover band or an experience in and of themselves, I can't help but notice that all of the pictures that posters (including you) use as avatars are of the Dead, not of DSO. So excuse me for rolling my eyes when the band decides to inject 40 minutes or so of space into an original setlist and chooses relatively obscure material for the entire second set. That doesn't mean that it wasn't good music - but for those of us who (these days) can only make it to one or two shows a year, it's not exactly the fix we're looking for. While the first set was great, the second set has always defined the take-away from a show and this one left me wanting. And like Yoda says, I'll keep my own counsel on that.

• Forum MVP
JEEZ, I can just feel the love. Hey Steve, lighten up. I didn't mention a touch of grey single and I've been to lots and lots of shows - I'm pretty sure that I'm a bit older than you from your tone. Acknowledging that 99.9% of the posters on this board are diehard DSO fans who will eat up anything that is served, I didn't expect to get much agreement but let's remember a couple of things -

There were plenty of less-than-perfect dead shows and we all just acknowledged that was the way it was - of course, opinions were based more on energy than setlists. People generally weren't flamed for giving an opinion, but then again, the internet didn't exist yet.

As to whether DSO is a cover band or an experience in and of themselves, I can't help but notice that all of the pictures that posters (including you) use as avatars are of the Dead, not of DSO. So excuse me for rolling my eyes when the band decides to inject 40 minutes or so of space into an original setlist and chooses relatively obscure material for the entire second set. That doesn't mean that it wasn't good music - but for those of us who (these days) can only make it to one or two shows a year, it's not exactly the fix we're looking for. While the first set was great, the second set has always defined the take-away from a show and this one left me wanting. And like Yoda says, I'll keep my own counsel on that.

I think my major problem with your post was not your opinion, but the fact that you started speaking for other people and that the show did a disservice to Jerry on the eve of his anniversary.

I also think as whole, we are a rather critical bunch, and when they are off there game and there isn't much energy, we, meaning the regular posters, are quick to point it out.

Again, maybe I'm the eternal optimist, but the fact that we are having this debate, means that DSO has struck a cord with you and that just because they didn't play what you wanted, doesn't mean that the second set lacked energy.

Anyway, I hope that you get that first set NFA and the encore Peggy-o at your next DSO show...

• Forum MVP

Take it easy guys. You are looking at this from a different perspective. People have a different perspective on what they want to see depending on how many times they get to get out and see the band. We know they are not "just a cover band" because of shows like this, but some people can only get out once or twice a year, have big expectations of a preconceived setlist in their head, and are a little let down when it doesn't come to fruition. I don't think he said he didn't enjoy the show or playing, just not his favorite choice of setlist. To each their own :dsorocks:

You are looking at this from a different perspective. People have a different perspective on what they want to see depending on how many times they get to get out and see the band. We know they are not "just a cover band" because of shows like this, but some people can only get out once or twice a year, have big expectations of a preconceived setlist in their head, and are a little let down when it doesn't come to fruition.

Y'know, you're absolutely right about that. If I saw them alot, and wasn't jonesing for a classic set, I would definitely be able to appreciate an unusual JGB focused setlist as a tribute more than I did the other night. As it was, I thought the Row Jimmy in the first set was stellar and was just wanting more "mainstream" Jerry to zone out on.

I was thinking about going to down to Keswick for NYE (I live about 90 minutes west of there) - would you guys promise not to throw rocks at me?

• Forum MVP
Y'know, you're absolutely right about that. If I saw them alot, and wasn't jonesing for a classic set, I would definitely be able to appreciate an unusual JGB focused setlist as a tribute more than I did the other night. As it was, I thought the Row Jimmy in the first set was stellar and was just wanting more "mainstream" Jerry to zone out on.

I was thinking about going to down to Keswick for NYE (I live about 90 minutes west of there) - would you guys promise not to throw rocks at me?

I promise...Plenty of room in the aisle's.

I'm done, I said "my peace"....

Archived