9/8 Neighborhood Theater, Charlotte

set one:Wang Dang Doodle->Dire Wolf, Hell in a Bucket, It Stoned Me, Easy Wind, All Around This World, Lazy Lightning->Supplication->Bird Song

set two: Unbroken Chain(!), King Solomons Marbles, Women are Smarter, Help on the Way->Slipknot->Don't Let Go->Drums->Space->St Stephen->The Other One->Black Muddy River->Around & Around E:Sisters and Brothers

This show was pretty special to me.. Dire Wolf was played second song in, which I took to be a personal "hello!" from the band, whether it was or not, I don't know, but I took it that way! Easy Wind was smoking! That whole first set seemed like it was tailored for Rob B. He was tearing up his keyboard! Lazy>Supplication>Bird Song was a great way to end out that first set, Light, into heavy, and then back into light.

the second set completely knocked my socks off! first of all, an Unbroken Chain for a set opener?! Sick!! I was so happy to hear this song, it's the first time I've ever heard it live, and the band just killed it! Kevin did a great job singing, and JK seemed to put a lot of heart into playing that song. then there was that AMAZING King Solomon's Marbles! I never, ever thought I'd ever get to see this song done live. The energy from the band was intoxicating! I could tell each and every person was feeling that heavy jamming going on there.. the audience response once the song was over said it all. I was caught off guard when Don't Let Go followed that great Help>Slip. the Drums was just about the darkest one I've heard yet... Rob K was sending me to pretty weird spots, and once space came in, I was reeling from sonic overload! There was a second at the end of Space where I was thinking "they're going to go into TOO, I know it"... I was only off by a song! St. Stephen is always fun to hear, and I think that just about everyone in that room was grateful to hear the first tell tale notes of such an important song in Dead history. Then came The Other One. Intense is the only word I can use to describe this one. In.Tense. And just when I thought I was going to lose myself, they brought it back in and slowed it down for a beautiful Black Muddy River.. it brought a small tear to my eye, thinking about Jerry and this being his swan song.. I could hear other people singing "Last Muddy River" around me, it was a testament to the love that everyone feels for Jerry. The Around and Around that followed was a great way to end the show after an emotional Black Muddy. Everyone was dancing their legs off when the tempo picked up at the end! It was great to see such energy from the band and the audience. The Sisters and Brothers encore was a reminder that, whatever differences we may have with each other, they don't matter. We need to get together and love one another for our family to survive. Thank you for the reminder, fellas (and gal)!

Another awesome highlight of the show was meeting maningreen and Herdy!

Phil, I can't express enough my gratitude for giving me that ride home! I had such a great time talking with you, and you're always welcome in my home, brother! Namaste!

I just want to mention that i think that the new deadalicious lighting that has been recently been added to the equipment is mindblowing in its self. Right down to lighting under the drum kits for example. Idontknow about anybody else but it definitely gave me flasbacks.

Hell yeah I think that Rob picked Dire Wolf just for you man. You were the only person to make any requests for this night. While they did not play any of the shows or songs you requested they did play "Your" song! Oh yeah.Im glad to have been able to help you out my friend. The favor was really no problem since i actually didnt have any place to go anyway. LOL But seriously this small favor came back to me 10 fold. Some dude gave me a miracle tix for the next night so i guess it all works out in the end. So your welcome and cant wait for next year. I'll pick you up and drop you off door to door next year man God willing. Thanks for hanging out with me and for the lighter LOL. I found mine right when i got on I-40 though. Your the man.

As most of you all probably know it was Pigpens birthday on Sat and that Easy Wind was a fine choice to remember him by. Sounded great too. I think that is the first Easy Wind I have ever heard live. Robs voice is spot on.

I immediately thought of JFolks when i heard Unbroken Chain and then i started to think OMG im here for the first one! I thought that it had been played recently but i was informed that that was durring a soundcheck the other day. Pretty sweet and im glad i drove 1600 miles roundtrip to hear it. eh. It beats crying at home.

I also agree that Sisters and Brothers was relative to us here and very fitting. God Bless

Peace, Phil

Archived