9-5-07 @ The Handlebar in Greenville, SC

jackjones

Unofficially:

Soundcheck: Mighty Quinn, K.S. Marbles, Unbroken Chain

9-5-07 Elective Setlist

Set I: Cold Rain and Snow, Minglewood, Duprees, Masterpiece, Tangled Up In Blue, Let Me Sing Your Blues Away, Passenger, t. Thumb Blues, Deal

Set II: Viola, Lost Sailor > Saint of Circumstance, Scarlet > Fire > Drums > Space > I Need a Miracle > So Many Roads > Good Lovin

E: Shakedown Street

A couple notes of interest would be the Unbroken Chain during the soundcheck is apparently a true rarity. It was performed in front of an audience a few nights later in ... Charlotte... (I think).

The guitarists donned the dual slides prior to Passenger and gave us a hint of a Little Red Rooster Tease before breaking into the opening smattering of Passenger. I can't believe I fell for it - Lisa was onstage; an obvious giveaway.

It was a small crowd. While everyone enjoys that for obvious (and semi-selfish) reasons, it always makes me cringe to see the place half full. (There could not have been more than 300 people there.) Given the talk of the shrinking schedule, you want to see the band sell out when they come close to home. I felt a small sense of relief when Eaton thanked us all coming out on the Wednesday after Labor Day... likely a factor in sluggish ticket sales.

The show was a real smoker. On the drive back to Asheville, I looked over at Eric who was just shaking his head in a look of disgust.

"What's the matter?"

"I just don't see how they are possibly gonna top that, and you hate to have the hottest show on the first night of the run," he replied"

"Pppppppp" I responded, as I rolled my eyes and turned Robert Hunter up as we trekked across the prominence. He agreed a few nights later that it was a silly concern, and that the band continued to deliver high caliber performances.

We sho' do love it when dso comes down this far south of the Mason Dixon line ( :ph34r: ).

Thanks for five wonderful nights of music.

tfp

great review... did you actually see the chain soundcheck? i love reading your stories

No, although I don't think those are generally open to the public. I had time to kill and just decided to hit the road pretty early in the day. Upon getting to the Handlebar, I just sorta parked in the bar area at the venue with the latest Relix and waited on my partner in crime, who was driving up from Atlanta (Nicole missed the Greenville and Raleigh shows due to some professional obligations.) While I didn't have a view of the stage, I could hear it all crystal clear. Lisa was onboard for Mighty Quinn, so I took some solace in knowing that her mic would be set up.

I probably have some stories from this past week, jfolks. I posted this last offering because I thought the setlists had yet to be posted (and of course now I see that they were posted while I was typing).... but what can you do?

One interesting tidbit is that the black bears went ahead and had a small party withthe nighbor's trash in our driveway while our house was empty this weekend. They claim they are going to pick it up (the neighbors, that is), although they are true southerners and move at the same speed as the waitstaff at Cracker Barrels across South Carolina.

I would say Atlanta probably would generate the most absurdity in terms of stories. I'll go ahead and put one of those "slice-of-life" review together for that one....

Archived