crystal ballroom, portland

blythalala

• Advisory Board

11-09-73 Winterland Arena, San Francisco, Ca. (Fri)

1: Promised, Don't Ease, B. T. Wind, Ramble On, Mexicali, B. E. Women, BIODTL, To Lay Me Down, Race Is On, TLEO, Bobby McGee, Tennessee Jed, Big River, Row Jimmy, China Cat> I Know You Rider, Playin

2: H. C. Sunshine, Me & My Uncle, Half Step, Greatest> Bertha, WRS Prelude> WRS Part 1> Let It Grow> Eyes> China Doll, Around, GDTRFB> Johnny B. Goode E: Uncle John

argh. it's enough to make you want to change zip codes.

and to quote one who was there last night, it was a "MONSTER."

1: Promised, Don't Ease, B. T. Wind, Ramble On, Mexicali, B. E. Women, BIODTL, To Lay Me Down, Race Is On, TLEO, Bobby McGee, Tennessee Jed, Big River, Row Jimmy, China Cat> I Know You Rider, Playin

2: H. C. Sunshine, Me & My Uncle, Half Step, Greatest> Bertha, WRS Prelude> WRS Part 1> Let It Grow> Eyes> China Doll, Around, GDTRFB> Johnny B. Goode E: Uncle John

I think I have tears in my eyes for missing that one :( But just 5 days 'til the Fillmore!!!!!

~Lisa

Guest Charles from Oregon

Wow!!!! What a show, truly amazing!!! Longest first set I have ever seen. They were like the energizer bunny they just kept going and going and going. It was a monster can't wait for Eugene!!!! Go Ducks!!

The original show at Winterland was my first tripping Dead show. Makes me realize how spoiled we were in those days. At that show there were as many people dancing out in the hallways as were inside because EVERYONE

was so high, we needed "space". We used to hang out in the balcony behind the band for a bit of a rest in the second set. You could look right down on them and watch them play, but you always left with your hair filled with plaster dust that would fall down whenever Phil wailed. Thats why Winterland was condemned, they rocked the place so hard it fell down. What a great night DSO gave us last night!!

• Forum MVP
The original show at Winterland was my first tripping Dead show. Makes me realize how spoiled we were in those days. At that show there were as many people dancing out in the hallways as were inside because EVERYONE

was so high, we needed "space". We used to hang out in the balcony behind the band for a bit of a rest in the second set. You could look right down on them and watch them play, but you always left with your hair filled with plaster dust that would fall down whenever Phil wailed. Thats why Winterland was condemned, they rocked the place so hard it fell down. What a great night DSO gave us last night!!

Great insight!!!

Monster it was; love those early 70's first sets; Chucky V must loved this one...

close to 4 hours of lovingoodness :D :D :D

at the end of the first set. the Ballroom security set back the stage clock fifteen minutes to allow the band get that "monster" in there. unbelievable crowd in Portland. My hometown you never let me down. All at a venue in nearly the same condition as when the Dead played there in Feb'68.

Archived