Fillmore Thursday

sonomajon

Well I just got back to my humble abode and don't really know where to begin...Spectacular show to start off the run!!!! Songwise(which I'm usually fairly astute with) escapes me tonight...I can feel the spaces in my brain where the song order should reside...So if you'll beggin my pardon I'll patch it together as best I can...I'm hoping someone will come to the rescue..(god bless the anal retentive ones among us)..

Set 1:

Walk in the Sunshine

Gomorrah

?

That's What Love Will Do (smokin!!)

Easy Wind(Gotta love Rob B)

ENTER BOBBY:

Jack Straw

Mexicali

Masterpiece

Bird Song

The Other One!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sugaree!!! Un fuckin believable version!!! John and Bobby dueling it out ...Eaton off to stage right rockin out!! I can't believe how good it was and I was front and center 5-5 77 Sugaree...

Hell in a Bucket...speechless!!!! Smoking...Rippping!!!...Over the top!!! Whatever your pleasure... this was it X2!

I believe that was where Bobby departed...All in all he seemed to be having a grand time once he finally got his microphone in just the perfect Bobby position..He played really well and dropped right into the band like an old pair of shoes...BTW...the Sugaree started real slow and I thought to myself this is sloooowwww..but it worked and the band exploded all around it's syrup like cadence.

Set 2:

Unbroken Chain...

King Solomons Marbles....

Sunrise

Weather Report Suite....Stunningly Beautiful...Martin Fierro joined in somewhere prior to this??

There was an amazing Terrapin

Drums>

Let it Grow??

Encore

Let Me Sing Your Blues Away

Box Of Rain=Best I ever heard

Ripple...much to the surprise of Eaton...It was John who rolled right into it and we were glad cause we all really did need one more song as a nightcap to a suhweet evening...I can't wait for someone to clarify the setlist..I know there is more..It was a long ass jammed out first set at least 1.75 hours ...Oh hell yes how could I forget the ripping 1st set Other One!!

Anyway sweet dreams one and all...it was great to finally meet Chuck...back down tomorrow..

Guest darbysdad

Many Thanks For Bringing Us Early Risers The Skinny

Wow Oh Freaking Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please Tell Me Someone Has This On Tape Or There Gonna Sell It,Something,Anything

• Advisory Board
Sugaree!!! Un fuckin believable version!!! John and Bobby dueling it out ...Eaton off to stage right rockin out!! I can't believe how good it was and I was front and center 5-5 77 Sugaree...

UGH. noooooooo.

[moans defeatedly.]

(see "which dead song affected you most" thread)

after we work on the adjacent coast thing, let's move on to turning back time so we can all be at this show if we missed it first time around. (especially the sugaree.) cool?

• Forum MVP
Well I just got back to my humble abode and don't really know where to begin...Spectacular show to start off the run!!!! Songwise(which I'm usually fairly astute with) escapes me tonight...I can feel the spaces in my brain where the song order should reside...So if you'll beggin my pardon I'll patch it together as best I can...I'm hoping someone will come to the rescue..(god bless the anal retentive ones among us)..

Set 1:

Walk in the Sunshine

Gomorrah

?

That's What Love Will Do (smokin!!)

Easy Wind(Gotta love Rob B)

ENTER BOBBY:

Jack Straw

Mexicali

Masterpiece

Bird Song

The Other One!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hell in a Bucket...speechless!!!! Smoking...Rippping!!!...Over the top!!! Whatever your pleasure... this was it X2!

I believe that was where Bobby departed...All in all he seemed to be having a grand time once he finally got his microphone in just the perfect Bobby position..He played really well and dropped right into the band like an old pair of shoes...BTW...the Sugaree started real slow and I thought to myself this is sloooowwww..but it worked and the band exploded all around it's syrup like cadence.

Set 2:

Unbroken Chain...

King Solomons Marbles....

Sunrise

Weather Report Suite....Stunningly Beautiful...Martin Fierro joined in somewhere prior to this??

There was an amazing Terrapin

Drums>

Let it Grow??

Encore

Let Me Sing Your Blues Away

Box Of Rain=Best I ever heard

Ripple...much to the surprise of Eaton...It was John who rolled right into it and we were glad cause we all really did need one more song as a nightcap to a suhweet evening...I can't wait for someone to clarify the setlist..I know there is more..It was a long ass jammed out first set at least 1.75 hours ...Oh hell yes how could I forget the ripping 1st set Other One!!

Anyway sweet dreams one and all...it was great to finally meet Chuck...back down tomorrow..

Wow wow wow. Unfrigginbelievable. There was a Passenger and a few other tunes where sonoma has the gap.

Now, for my thoughts on Bob Weir stepping up....UNFUCKINGBELIEVABLE COSMIC MUSICAL EXPERIENCE THAT REMINDED ME OF DAYS PAST. Bob just didn't want to get off the stage. At times the exchanges between he and John were out of this world. I wonder if Bob even realized that he was slowly drifting across the stage to play face to face with John. Barraco added some sweet keys during some of the jams and looking up to see Bobby bouncing and starting song after song, it was like he just didn't want to get off the stage.

I wonder if he closed his eyes and remembered what it was like..... I wonder if Bobby ever has thoughts of...well, ya know.

Starhead's...there was some-king-of-magic in the air last night that left us spinning in a world of music now...and music yesterday.

Can't wait for tonight, off to the Wharf and House of NanKing.

Also, the night can't be without a thought about 2 of the finest Starhead's a head can know, Row Jimmy and Row Lisa, OMG, you have NO EQUAL!!!

I LOVE YOU!!!

:looky:

in the crowd! yeah the big blonde guy who dances like bob marley....i have seen him at a ton of show, you got to love that guy.....................

Wow wow wow. Unfrigginbelievable. There was a Passenger and a few other tunes where sonoma has the gap.

Now, for my thoughts on Bob Weir stepping up....UNFUCKINGBELIEVABLE COSMIC MUSICAL EXPERIENCE THAT REMINDED ME OF DAYS PAST. Bob just didn't want to get off the stage. At times the exchanges between he and John were out of this world. I wonder if Bob even realized that he was slowly drifting across the stage to play face to face with John. Barraco added some sweet keys during some of the jams and looking up to see Bobby bouncing and starting song after song, it was like he just didn't want to get off the stage.

I wonder if he closed his eyes and remembered what it was like..... I wonder if Bobby ever has thoughts of...well, ya know.

Starhead's...there was some-king-of-magic in the air last night that left us spinning in a world of music now...and music yesterday.

Can't wait for tonight, off to the Wharf and House of NanKing.

Also, the night can't be without a thought about 2 of the finest Starhead's a head can know, Row Jimmy and Row Lisa, OMG, you have NO EQUAL!!!

I LOVE YOU!!!

:looky:

I had good intentions to pace myself for this run...BUT...The band caught fire and I thought I was 18 again...(meeting Chuck didn't help) Now I'm paying for those happy hours...I wonder if that level of energy is sustainable for the band? Barraco is a monster player...He is kicking some serious ass on the keys.. Something about the Fillmore...it's like everybody's living room. The sound last night was awesome...Cam is the best...See y'all tonight!

J

Guest Late-Blooming Flower Child

The Fillmore is an awesome venue ... so much history.

This was just my 3rd time seeing DSO and WOW, what a treat to have Bobby Weir sit in.

I'm really a "late-blooming flower child" -- I'm 50 years old, grew up in the Bay Area, and NEVER SAW the Grateful Dead. CAN YOU BELIEVE IT? In the last two+ years I've started learning about them and their music and I'm HOOKED. Everytime I hear their music I scratch my head and say, "How did I miss this?? What the hell was I DOING?!?"

I know some other Dead Heads who don't go to see DSO. WHY THE HELL NOT?!? My boyfriend saw the Dead over 100 times -- the first time being in 1966, and he LOVES DSO. He thinks that it's "the closest you can get" to actually seeing the Grateful Dead. They are incredible musicians, and they do a fantastic job with this beautiful music. I think the fact that Bobby Weir joins in on very special occasions is huge ... and he didn't just do one or two songs "to be polite" ... he was kicking ass on that guitar and thoroughly enjoying himself for almost the entire first set. Like somebody said, he didn't seem to want to STOP. My boyfriend noticed him circling his finger around in a circle a couple of times to the band ... "Go 'round one more time."

It was very intense and special when Bobby moved over to play with (sorry, don't know his name) -- the guy playing the Jerry guitar part. I said to Gary, "Do you think this is making Bobby feel like he's playing with Jerry again?" It's clear Bob Weir digs DSO, and so do I!!

Last night the music actually brought me to tears at one point!

And is there a name for what happens when the music just brings the entire audience to sort of a simultaneous ... frenzy?

I brought a friend along with us last night who has never heard Grateful Dead music (with the exception of "Truckin.") She's really spiritual and into meditation and I just thought she'd LOVE this music and really enjoy the HAPPY, beautiful people. She did. ("Better than meditation!") She kept moving us up closer and closer to the stage ... by the end of the show we were about 3 people away from front & center. After a couple of songs she looked at me and said, "This music makes me feel like I'm in a park ... on a really sunny, beautiful day!" I told Gary she said that and he got this happy, "She Gets it!!" look on his face and said, "Yes ... it does ..."

We're going back to see DSO Saturday night ... going to bed right now so I can rest up.

Thanks for letting me share my excitement about this incredible music ...

Lesley

Guest darbysdad

Way To Go Leslie And Friend

All It Takes Is An Open Mind And Open Ears--Then Your Jaw Drops Open

Keep Posting, We Love This Kind Of Stuff

BTW,Jerry Guy Is John Kadlicek

Guest rowjimmy

I don't know where to start really with so many thoughts about Thursday night going through my head. Having never seen the Grateful Dead perform live maybe I can be more objective in my description?

Overall, my take away from seeing Bobby on stage with DSO was that he was soaking up every note like a session with his therapist (metaphorically). He moved closer and closer to John as the band played each song almost dueling on some jams. The energy was amazing as my band showed the appropriate amount of respect for him for this very rare occasion.

Rob Eaton graciously stepped off and seemed right at home near the sound board during the set. As a Starhead, I was thrilled to have Bobby Weir recognize DSO's achievements.

I don't know where to start really with so many thoughts about Thursday night going through my head. Having never seen the Grateful Dead perform live maybe I can be more objective in my description?

Overall, my take away from seeing Bobby on stage with DSO was that he was soaking up every note like a session with his therapist (metaphorically). He moved closer and closer to John as the band played each song almost dueling on some jams. The energy was amazing as my band showed the appropriate amount of respect for him for this very rare occasion.

Rob Eaton graciously stepped off and seemed right at home near the sound board during the set. As a Starhead, I was thrilled to have Bobby Weir recognize DSO's achievements.

^ can't wait to get back to NJ... NOT!!! :rofl:

See ya soon Buddy!

• Forum MVP
And is there a name for what happens when the music just brings the entire audience to sort of a simultaneous ... frenzy?

A lot of the time we just refer to that as the "magic". its what keeps us all coming back and what has kept people following the Dead for over 40 years. NOTHING else like it. Welcome aboard.

I actually just got tears in my eyes reading all of this and thinking about my previous 3 nights. Absolutely magical- I don't think I even have words for it......

It was also so so wonderful hanging out with everyone too! Hopefully it won't be long til we see you again! Emma, I'm so happy you were able to make it!!!!

And Chuck, just let me know when you are up for another 7 mile up-hill hike.

Hope everyone got home safely:)

see you in November,

Lisa

• Forum MVP
I actually just got tears in my eyes reading all of this and thinking about my previous 3 nights. Absolutely magical- I don't think I even have words for it......

It was also so so wonderful hanging out with everyone too! Hopefully it won't be long til we see you again! Emma, I'm so happy you were able to make it!!!!

And Chuck, just let me know when you are up for another 7 mile up-hill hike.

Hope everyone got home safely:)

see you in November,

Lisa

Amen!

Just let me finish tour, complete the orthodpedic and chiropractic regimens (Dr. B - you do both?) and I'll be good to go...

• Advisory Board
Amen!

Just let me finish tour, complete the orthodpedic and chiropractic regimens (Dr. B - you do both?) and I'll be good to go...

Just feet and ankles here...

But I understand about the serious lack of cabs that somehow aflicts SF sometimes, and the major hill walking that follows. Glad you made it thru, I mean you're still walking, so I'm sure that you can dance!

And bring me with you next time. DO NOT LET ME MISS THIS AGAIN!!!!

Dr. B B)

Archived