The Filmore Friday

Guest skullcap

Guest skullcap

The bass was way too loud most of the night. i canno tunderstand why the sound person did not turn it down. it really detracted from the show for me.

Morning dew was spectacular however... Drums was very good also.

The bass was way too loud most of the night. i canno tunderstand why the sound person did not turn it down. it really detracted from the show for me.

Those are bombs....Kevin laying them out thick like honey all night...Sounded great..My heart chakra is satiated and massaged. Another great show...A warlocks 89'..didn't hearthe exact date but...A Foolish Heart opener followed by a super solid first set ending with a racous Promised Land...In between a walkin blues,Candyman,Uncle> Big River...uhhh yeah a Aiko too...Somebody help me..

Set 2:

Help Slip Franklins..Victim....Eyes.....a totally mesmerizing drums space there was a Gimme Some Lovin...and yes it was punctuated by a melting Morning Dew..BYGNight..and Lisa joined the festivities with Second That Emotion...2 down one to go....I love The Fillmore....

Till the morning comes..

J

10-08-89 Hampton Coliseum, Hampton, Va.

1: Foolish Heart> Walking Blues, Candyman, Me & My Uncle> Big River, Stagger Lee, Queen Jane, Bird Song> Promised

2: Help> Slipknot> Franklin's, Victim> Eyes> Drumz> Miracle> Wheel> Gimme Some Lovin> Morning Dew E: We Bid You Goodnight

• Forum MVP
You just got Victim>Eyesd!!! sweet!

It isn't often that I guess the show, but I got this one right after the Stagger Lee and confirmed it with the Help-Slip-Frank 2nd set opener. I was 19 and at this show, wholly shit, the memories flowed. These 2 shows really solidified my Deadheadom and I was on the bus.

DSO ROCKS!!!!!

I have to agree totally about the bass. It was indeed distracting for me too. I was very close to the front during the first set and thought that maybe I was just standing in some resonant location which made it louder. However, during the second set, I was about halfway back and it was better, but still too loud. I love some occasional bass bombs that vibrate the whole place, in the style of Phil. However, this was going on way to much of the time for my taste. Too often, the bass completely overpowered the rest of the band.

Morning Dew was indeed spectacular!!!! It was certainly the highlight of the show for me. All in all, I wasn't thrilled with this late 80's setlist, but that was what happened on that particular date in 1989.

I must say that Rob on keyboards was blowing me away much of the night!!! It is wonderful that DSO has managed to get him as a permanent member.

10-08-89 Hampton Coliseum, Hampton, Va.

1: Foolish Heart> Walking Blues, Candyman, Me & My Uncle> Big River, Stagger Lee, Queen Jane, Bird Song> Promised

2: Help> Slipknot> Franklin's, Victim> Eyes> Drumz> Miracle> Wheel> Gimme Some Lovin> Morning Dew E: We Bid You Goodnight

Didn't see anyone mention Filler yet: Second That Emotion!

...and yes, the Morning Dew was absolutely the highlight of an altogether HOT show!

• Advisory Board

You're crazy.... Kevin BOMBS are the SHIT!

Guest Charles from Oregon

I'm going to have to agree with Herdy on this one, I love when Kevin's Bass is Booming, or overbearing as you make it sound like it was. I want that!! That is the way it's suppose to be, why couldn't I have been there, Dammit me!

Guest skullcap
I'm going to have to agree with Herdy on this one, I love when Kevin's Bass is Booming, or overbearing as you make it sound like it was. I want that!! That is the way it's suppose to be, why couldn't I have been there, Dammit me!

I know it sounds good... but the truth is that the bass was way out of proportion (seriously). It is ok... they fixed it for Saturday night. Damn...that was the show to end all shows.

First all you who complain about he bass are CRAZY. Kevin rocked the shit and we need to show some love for the brother. He was off the hook all through the Help-slip-franklins. All in all a very Rocktober show!!!!!!!!!

Solid Solid Solid, DSO puts out 100% every night! WE LOVE YOU DSO!!!!!!!!!

• Forum MVP

Rainbow,

See Skullcap's post above. The mix on the bass apparently improved Saturday.

I wasn't at the Friday show, but indeed the bass mix was fine on Saturday. I heard other reports, beyond those on this board, that there were issues with the bass in parts of the Friday show. Whether this is true or not, I don't think it has anything to do with lack of "love" for Kevin - just a personal impression that the mix was out of balance.

Rainbow,

See Skullcap's post above. The mix on the bass apparently improved Saturday.

I wasn't at the Friday show, but indeed the bass mix was fine on Saturday. I heard other reports, beyond those on this board, that there were issues with the bass in parts of the Friday show. Whether this is true or not, I don't think it has anything to do with lack off "love" for Kevin - just a personal impression that the mix was out of balance.

Exactly!

Hey, I love a great bass line and I love Kevin's playing as much as the next person, but IMO it was completely out of balance on Friday. At times, I found it very annoying , and it overwhelmed the 5 other musicians. I asked a few other people standing around me if they thought the same, and they concurred.

I did noticed from the minute they got on stage for the first set and were tuning up that the bass was way out of balance. My wife looked at me and said, "I hope they turn that down". When Kevin hit a few notes while tuning, John looked up a little surprised and Kevin grinned at him. However, there is one explanation maybe someone might be able to shed some light on. This bass looked like one of the six-string basses that Phil used to play with the GD. Was this indeed one of Phil's basses? That could explain a lot why they cranked it up so high. I only went to the Friday show (wish I went to more!) so I can't say if this same instrument was played on the other nights. I also seem to remember that bass being used at the last Fillmore run when John got to play Jerry's Wolf ax. Anyone know about this?

I gota agree with Herdy, if you cant feel your heart vibrating out of your chest, there isnt enough bass...

I wasnt there but can also understand an "overstatement" of bass and how it can turn some folks off.......

Guest riograndio

my first dso show... and i'm still smiling two nights later. a weird setlist, but they killed EVERY song - wild slipknot and victim jams, franklins and eyes, and the dew was mindblowing.

i thought the bass bombs stepped on some lyrics but they FELT great on the front row. looking at the original setlist, they played aiko (iko) instead of birdsong. wonder why, did they birdsong the night before?

please welcome a new fan, me! thanks to my old friend michael for turning me onto this.

Guest dubdotallstars

Absolutely blown away. This was also my first DSO show - the girlfriend and I were in San Fran for a little mini-vacation, I saw DSO playing a three-night stand at the Fillmore, and I figured "hey, why not?". So glad we went - the GF was so impressed that she's vowed to go when DSO plays out here in December. Just a great way to cap off a great trip.

Also, I join in with others in wondering why DSO played "Bird Song" on Thursday - I was convinced the show was 10/8/89, until the "Iko". It drove me insane all weekend...then I saw the setlist and couldn't tell if they had played "Bird Song" and somehow missed it, or if it was a different-but-totally-similar show that I had never heard of. Either way, the whole thing ruled.

Also had a blast at Hardly Strictly Bluegrass on Saturday...great weekend!

• Forum MVP
Absolutely blown away. This was also my first DSO show - the girlfriend and I were in San Fran for a little mini-vacation, I saw DSO playing a three-night stand at the Fillmore, and I figured "hey, why not?". So glad we went - the GF was so impressed that she's vowed to go when DSO plays out here in December. Just a great way to cap off a great trip.

Also, I join in with others in wondering why DSO played "Bird Song" on Thursday - I was convinced the show was 10/8/89, until the "Iko". It drove me insane all weekend...then I saw the setlist and couldn't tell if they had played "Bird Song" and somehow missed it, or if it was a different-but-totally-similar show that I had never heard of. Either way, the whole thing ruled.

Also had a blast at Hardly Strictly Bluegrass on Saturday...great weekend!

Ok, I think I can answer the Bird Song/Iko thing. It was done to not repeat Bird Song which had been played a few nights earlier, flexibility, I love it!!!

Guest dubdotallstars
Ok, I think I can answer the Bird Song/Iko thing. It was done to not repeat Bird Song which had been played a few nights earlier, flexibility, I love it!!!

Oh, that's not what I meant. I understand why they didn't play Bird Song on Friday. I was wondering why they played it Thursday, when they knew what show they would play Friday, and thus have to substitute it. It just seemed a strange choice to me to leave that out of a complete show Friday to play it Thursday, that's all. Still so much fun.

• Forum MVP
Oh, that's not what I meant. I understand why they didn't play Bird Song on Friday. I was wondering why they played it Thursday, when they knew what show they would play Friday, and thus have to substitute it. It just seemed a strange choice to me to leave that out of a complete show Friday to play it Thursday, that's all. Still so much fun.

That's because it was Weir's choice on Thursday, a unique situation that was beyond the band's control. Hard to argue with it, given their esteemed guest!

• 5 weeks later...

Archived