What did they do sat. Fillmore?/ setlist junkie here

Guest Charles from Oregon

Guest prideofcucamunga

it sounded like another Hampton Colesium show, probably 1989, because of the Death Don't have no mercy in the middle of the second set, and the fact that the jerry guy had the midi patch goin on.

set pieces in reverse

set#1

music-row jimmy-stuck inside a mobile(with Ratdog bass player) ramble on rose-rooster-stranger

set#2

playin-ujb-playin-dark star-drums space-can't remember the rest somebody help me!

Guest Charles from Oregon
it was

10/9/89

filler with keller: cumberland, big railroad blues, liberty.

10/09/89 (Mon) Hampton Coliseum - Hampton, VA

Set 1: Feel Like A Stranger, Built To Last, Little Red Rooster, Ramble On Rose, We Can Run, Jack A Roe, Stuck Inside A Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again, Row Jimmy, Music Never Stopped

Set 2: Playing In The Band > Uncle John's Band > Playing In The Band (reprise), Dark Star > Drums > Space > Death Don't Have No Mercy > Dear Mr. Fantasy > Hey Jude (reprise) > Throwing Stones > Good Lovin', E: Attics Of My Life

Thanks Blyth, for filler

Guest skullcap

Well...

It was a really greta show. Not just great mind you but relly great.... up there with the best shows I have ever seen (no exagerations). These guys are the real deal.

Every DSO show ive seen has been amazing, but this one was probably the best ive ever seen. Not just becuase it was my 25th birthday, not just because i called the opener, or that Keller stepped in, but because they rocked every song. Some of those songs ill skip over when listening to a show, but DSO has the ability to turn me around on any Dead tune and make them a favorite. I really feel comfortable with Rob on the Keys and feel DSO is as solid as ever. It felt like i can count on seeing these guys around for sometime to come.

:dsorocks: :dsorocks: :dsorocks:

• Forum MVP
Built to Last.!.that doesn't happen every night!

No it doesn't. In fact, John K needed to refer almost constantly to his lyric sheet to get the vocals all delivered properly. Which he did - I don't think he stumbled through any lines.

• Forum MVP

In October of 1989 I was 19 and had only seen the Grateful Dead a handful of times since my first show 4/2/89. My roommate Jack says to me "let's go see the Dead play in Hampton, VA Sunday and Monday(it was Friday night when he mentioned this) I said how come we didn't know about the shows before now? His reply was that he wasn't really 100% sure it was the Grateful Dead, the booked was under "The Warlocks" so my reply was... "you want to drive 9 hours to Hampton on the hopes it's the Dead?" His reply was "sure" so I thought I'd just call the box office and see what they'd say. I called Saturday morning and someone actually answered the phone, nice woman with a thick southern accent, so I was as polite as possible and said "excuse me mamm...can you tell me who is playing Sunday and Monday?" she replied "The Warlocks" and I said "I'm not familiar with that band, can you tell me who's in it?" and she said in her thick accent "Well sweetie I think just the members of the Grateful Dead!" bang we're in the car driving!!!

2 shows for the books, wow.

10/09/89 (Mon) Hampton Coliseum - Hampton, VA

Set 1: Feel Like A Stranger, Built To Last, Little Red Rooster, Ramble On Rose, We Can Run, Jack A Roe, Stuck Inside A Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again, Row Jimmy, Music Never Stopped

Set 2: Playing In The Band > Uncle John's Band > Playing In The Band (reprise), Dark Star > Drums > Space > Death Don't Have No Mercy > Dear Mr. Fantasy > Hey Jude (reprise) > Throwing Stones > Good Lovin', E: Attics Of My Life

Thanks Blyth, for filler

That was a great show, wish I was in SF Saturday. I could only imagine the magic DSO brought to the stage on Saturday.

This show was billed as the Warlocks. First Dark Star and first Attics in a looong time.

I had a laminated pass for these shows and heard them sound check dark star that afternoon as I was helping set up SEVA booth and didn't think much of it(DS was sound checked often) then they sound checked Attics and I knew it was going to be special. Second set -dancing - crowd going wild w/DS then at the end I noticed a young down to earth couple behind me blown away by the Darl Star and I decided to fuck with them, so there we are talking waiting for encore when I get this spacey stare and start shaking and I say "I feel an Attics coming on" Attics starts and the couple were blown away and say " dude you are cosmically connected to the music." I smiled and danced away. That show was very memorable for me, I somehow didn't use any drugs for 30 days prior to those shows and I actually remeber them.

Brian

• Forum MVP
Looky,

Cool story. Weren't tickets still hard to come by, even though it was officially The Grateful Dead?

Yes and no. Very early in our Dead "career" and we really didn't understand the "ticket-barter" system. There was this little trailer set up in the parking lot to sell tickets. Sunday was sold out but there were plenty of Monday tickets. Had we "understood" we'd have bought 2 Monday's each, but we didn't. If we had we would've traded them for a Sunday in a few hours, but as it happened Monday sold out soon after and we had nothing to trade. I had all but given up, walked around for over 7 hours, nothing. Decided to walk my buddies to the door and say "have a good show" when some guy jumps out of a car, someone was dropping him off, he's hightailing it inside and I see 2 tickets in his hand and ask if he's getting rid of one, he said YES, can you believe it, I buy the ticket and go in with my buddies...the rest is history.

Archived