Saturday Fillmore

John A

• Forum MVP

As has already been reported, this was 10/9/89. I think it's awesome that DSO took this seminal two show run in Hampton, billed as "The Warlocks" due to issues with the "Grateful Dead" appearing in that city, and played both shows in two nights at the same venue.

The list was:

I: Feel Like A Stranger, Built To Last, Little Red Rooster, Ramble On Rose, We Can Run, Jack A Roe, Memphis Blues, Row Jimmy, Music Never Stopped

II: Playing In The Band > Uncle John's Band > Playing Reprise > Dark Star > Drums > Space > Death Don't Have No Mercy > Dear Mr. Fantasy > Hey Jude Coda > Throwing Stones > Good Lovin' E: Attics Of My Life

The entire show was solid, and of course everyone will have there favorite moments, but here are some of my thoughts...

It was great to hear Built To Last, a song only played in '88 and '89, as well as We Can Run, only played from 2/89 through Brent's death. Rob Barraco really nailed it. In fact, one can't say enough about Rob's performance. He is truly on the top of his game, and he lends something special to each and every song, not to mention playing the Brent part very well.

I wasn't crazy about John K's tone during Row Jimmy, a song where Jerry's tone was always so pure and haunting. I think the MIDI was overdone on this number, although '89 was Jerry's big MIDI year. On other songs, John's tone was right on, particularly Stranger, Built To Last, We can Run, and Music. Speaking of Music, this was probably the highlight of the 1st set, especially the first section of the jam leading up to the break. The second part of the jam featured Rob Eaton showcasing the scrubbing. This was cool, although you always want a Jerry scrub over a Bobby scrub!

The second set was very strong start to finish; the highlights for me were Uncle John's, where the band was sounding fantastic, and Death Don't Have No Mercy, which featured a plantive, searing John K jam. I recalled that the Dead did both verses of Dark Star on 10/9/89, but DSO played only the first verse. Can anybody confirm if the Dead did the second verse or not?

Attics was outstanding, and the band could easily have left stage without a note of filler and everybody would have left satisfied. As it was, we got good, if not special versions of Cumberland and Big RR Blues, followed by a great rendition of Liberty. In perhaps the transition of the night, John K ripped into the opening notes of Liberty with breathtaking authority as the last sustain of RR Blues faded out.

Bravo! I've never used this silly little emoticon, but perhaps this is time....

:dsorocks:

Guest skullcap

For me, the highlights were row jimmy into music never stoped. The row jimmy was sublime. I actually really liked the use of midi guitar on this song. It was a very flower fractal dragonish version of the song.... a dance with the faries if you will...

Guest skullcap

For me, the highlights were row jimmy into music never stoped. The row jimmy was sublime. I actually really liked the use of midi guitar on this song. It was a very flower fractal dragonish version of the song.... a dance with the faries if you will...

Thanks for the review- really enjoy commentary like that.

As has already been reported, this was 10/9/89. I think it's awesome that DSO took this seminal two show run in Hampton, billed as "The Warlocks" due to issues with the "Grateful Dead" appearing in that city, and played both shows in two nights at the same venue.

The list was:

I: Feel Like A Stranger, Built To Last, Little Red Rooster, Ramble On Rose, We Can Run, Jack A Roe, Memphis Blues, Row Jimmy, Music Never Stopped

II: Playing In The Band > Uncle John's Band > Playing Reprise > Dark Star > Drums > Space > Death Don't Have No Mercy > Dear Mr. Fantasy > Hey Jude Coda > Throwing Stones > Good Lovin' E: Attics Of My Life

The entire show was solid, and of course everyone will have there favorite moments, but here are some of my thoughts...

It was great to hear Built To Last, a song only played in '88 and '89, as well as We Can Run, only played from 2/89 through Brent's death. Rob Barraco really nailed it. In fact, one can't say enough about Rob's performance. He is truly on the top of his game, and he lends something special to each and every song, not to mention playing the Brent part very well.

I wasn't crazy about John K's tone during Row Jimmy, a song where Jerry's tone was always so pure and haunting. I think the MIDI was overdone on this number, although '89 was Jerry's big MIDI year. On other songs, John's tone was right on, particularly Stranger, Built To Last, We can Run, and Music. Speaking of Music, this was probably the highlight of the 1st set, especially the first section of the jam leading up to the break. The second part of the jam featured Rob Eaton showcasing the scrubbing. This was cool, although you always want a Jerry scrub over a Bobby scrub!

The second set was very strong start to finish; the highlights for me were Uncle John's, where the band was sounding fantastic, and Death Don't Have No Mercy, which featured a plantive, searing John K jam. I recalled that the Dead did both verses of Dark Star on 10/9/89, but DSO played only the first verse. Can anybody confirm if the Dead did the second verse or not?

Attics was outstanding, and the band could easily have left stage without a note of filler and everybody would have left satisfied. As it was, we got good, if not special versions of Cumberland and Big RR Blues, followed by a great rendition of Liberty. In perhaps the transition of the night, John K ripped into the opening notes of Liberty with breathtaking authority as the last sustain of RR Blues faded out.

Bravo! I've never used this silly little emoticon, but perhaps this is time....

:dsorocks:

Archived