Clark Center - Arroyo Grande

ThinMan

Guest gypsydaze
ssia

Grate show in one of the strangest venues....must have been about 350 people in the auditorium. when we got there, we were told, no standing, no dancing, no food....all the event staff were patrons and volunteers of their new community center located by the high school. they were not prepared for DSO, mainly it was booked by the name alone, (read) "Orchestra".

Only a few familar faces, most everyone seemed local and quite a few were patrons and donors of their beloved center primarily used for school musicals, plays and small theatrical productions.

it was the quitest, most polite folks I've ever seen at a rock show.

but, true to our spirit, it didn't take long for the deadicated to start dancing on the sides and up in back. the staff seemed taken aback, especially when the smell of herb began permeating the auditorium.

but, to their credit, they never even tried to hold anyone back and by the end of the first set, the place was starting to rock. by the end of the show, the staff were just standing around smiling, letting whatever happen. theyd never seen anything like it.

the band was on. they bantered and joked w/ the crowd more than usual and seemed more relaxed than i've ever seen them. And, the drums were awesome..the whole band jammed doing their rhythm devils cha cha. it was incredible....

folks, what could've been blip on the tour turned out to be a real gem.

Grateful Dead Live at Giants Stadium on 1978-09-02

Set 1

Jack Straw

Friend Of The Devil

Minglewood Blues

Dire Wolf

Looks Like Rain

Stagger Lee

I Need A Miracle

Peggy-O

Lazy Lightning-> Supplication

Set 2

Good Lovin'

Scarlet Begonias->Fire On The Mountain

Estimated Prophet

Eyes Of The World

Drums

Sugar Magnolia

E: One More Saturday Night

Happy Birthday to rob

DSO E: It's all over Now Baby Blue

tho, they will probably never play at the venue again, it was truely a grate time by all....

Guest tajluck

Hey all,

This be the first time I've posted. Was at the show last night and gypsydaze had it spot on. I live here in the Central Coast and was pleasantly surprised to see the boys playing here in my backyard (saw them play at the Crystal Blallroom in April for the first time...).

Have been "lurking" on the board ever since, and figured this was a good time to chime in.

The Clark Center, who would of thunk it. Think of Marin Vets hall about 1/10th the size...The venue was probably as different for the boys as it was for most of those in attendance, but small as it was and mabey a little reserved feeling, the band was on fire. I knew it was a '78 (mabey my favorite year--Lexington, Auzten Stadium, Winterland...) from the opening minute of Jack Straw. Weir had a certain "tone" during '78 (besides setlists, Weirs' tone makes it easy to listen and know what year your listening too, ya I'm a big bobby fan) and Rob just nailed it all night long.

The first set was sweet with each rendition very well played. Let me say that Lisa Mackey is unbelievable. I'm no Donna basher, but my god her singing just makes those harmonies so much better than I've ever heard them. But I digress, back to the first set...Friend of the Devil was oh so nice, lots of space yet very full. The Minglewood was classic, great slide work and guitar play from Rob and John. Other highlights were a nice '78 style Stagger lee and a very long drawn out Peggy-O. The zenith was without a doubt the Lazy Lightning-Supplication--one of my all time favorites, having seen the Dead some 100 odd shows from '86 on I never witnessed this first hand. The jam in between had John twisting and tying and then untying those beautiful Jerry knots, and the band in full force behind him, wow. It was without a doubt nothing short of superb.

I could not have written down a better second set song wise. From the get go they were obviously "on", you know like when the boys were on. Rob goes to the mic and says after a rip rorrin' Good Lovin, "this next song is good for dancing". Well when they fired up into Scarlet the isles were quickly filled ( I admit I was in my seat just taking it all in--15 feet from the stage front and center), and the next hour was filled with a knock em down Scarlet-Fire-Estimated-Eyes that I would like to hear on tape, cause that was some serious shit. The Drums were long and very cool with the entire band coming on stage to play everything form shakers to congos to triangles, mabey a little homage to Hamza el-Din...

Alas I out of drums into a very spirited Sugar Mag. Kind of weird that they ended the show with one song out of drums (the two encores--Sat Night and Baby Blue were great don't get me wrong), but when I got home there's a little reference to this in the Taping Compendium that you can read if you like...

All in all the show was just what I needed, a '78 played perfectly in a small little performing arts center that sounded beautiful...

Guest rowjimmy

Reading Gypsydaze's review, all I could think about was the scene from The Blues Brothers when they did that gig at Bob's Country Bunker.

Apparently, no bottles thrown at the wire mesh waiting for the band to break out into Mozart's Jupiter or something.

Thanks for the write-up........RAWHIDE!!

• Forum MVP
Alas I out of drums into a very spirited Sugar Mag. Kind of weird that they ended the show with one song out of drums (the two encores--Sat Night and Baby Blue were great don't get me wrong), but when I got home there's a little reference to this in the Taping Compendium that you can read if you like...

Taj,

The compendium gives a reference as to why the Dead only played 1 song after drums? Can anybody with the book handy share that?

Thanks.

Guest tajluck

John,

"The compendium gives a reference as to why the Dead only played 1 song after drums? Can anybody with the book handy share that?"

Supposedly during drums after a scorching pre drums second set (both figuratively and literally--it was a very hot day) Jerry was caught by a Giants Stadium security guard doing something he wasn't supposed to do and threatened to turn him...Jerry none to happy about probably only getting half his fix was reportedly very angry and they came out after drums, played a sugar mag, a one more sat. night encore and took off...

Oh well, it made for a good DSO rendition...

Guest gypsydaze
John,

"The compendium gives a reference as to why the Dead only played 1 song after drums? Can anybody with the book handy share that?"

Supposedly during drums after a scorching pre drums second set (both figuratively and literally--it was a very hot day) Jerry was caught by a Giants Stadium security guard doing something he wasn't supposed to do and threatened to turn him...Jerry none to happy about probably only getting half his fix was reportedly very angry and they came out after drums, played a sugar mag, a one more sat. night encore and took off...

Oh well, it made for a good DSO rendition...

yea, it was a hot day....interesting. and it was a ripping drums like i mentioned. thx for the quick response to that quiz buster ??.

to rowjimmy:

u r welcome..lol on blue's brothers. that's how we felt road trippin up there from ventura county. tank of gas, cigarettes, etc.

only we landed in mayberry and aunt b and the quilting club greeted us..

may i add, we were the wharf rats recruited for this mission. so, as trench diggers we had plenty of time to yak to the locals and get insider info....

tho trying to explain to the front line of wheelchair greeters and geriatric team who we were was classic. the best i could finally think of we was we are sorta like the "drug team" since santa barbara bowl referred to us like that at the recent phil lesh show. this one lady was like. "oh we don't allow smoking in here"...OK. So, then i said, we were part of what DSO represents....it just wasn't registering.

finally, this young girl (for me anyways) responsible for bringing an " Orchestra" to their community shrine showed up and no problem. but, no stickers, (people plaster them on the walls). we had to hang our banner over the plaques of donors since we couldn't tape on the freshly painted walls. as sacreligious as it appeared, they relented. all in all these folks were cool.

as surreal as it went down, so was the show.

as far as the opener, yea, i too guessed the yr. 1978 only cause lisa was on stage and they opened w/ jackstraw. then i did the sacreligious. Molly, who is the bands new t-shirt and other stuff vendor had her laptop. our table was next to her's. i showed her how to work the archives, and by the third song we had the show. btw, she is 22, new and learning the ropes..just a sweetheart.

oh, yeah, i'm a "new kid on the block" here too. you guys seem like a friendly, open bunch and that is truely appreciated...been doing DSO west coast south for several yrs. which means less shows. but, as an old timer, i can't road dog anymore.

but, i'll be in LA fri. and sat.

• Forum MVP

I was at the dead show in 78.I remember it being so goddam hot that day .There was a guy in the lot giving out these pink & white striped blotters for free to who ever wanted em. The slowest devil I ever heard.I thought they were playing up to the curfew , 7 oclock. They had to get off the stage.Someone fell off the round walkway that are on the outside of giants stadium & died at that show.I think they didn"t play ther for years becouse of that.They also announced they were going to egypt on the large screen oppasite the stage.Bill was playing drums with a cast on his arm & jerry made a comment about bobbys new pink guitar.Would of loved to see dso do this show.Alot of memories.-steve

Archived