10-12-07 El Ray

Herdygerdy

• Advisory Board

10-11-84 Augusta Civic Center, Augusta, Me. (Thu)

1: Shakedown, Greatest, Peggy-O, Mama Tried> Big River, Ramble On, L. L. Rain> Might As Well

2: Bucket> Touch, Woman Smarter, Ship Of Fools, Playin> Drumz> Mr. Fantasy> Black Peter> Sugar Magnolia

E: Day Job

Filler: Dear Prudence, China Cat>Rider

Okay, let's try this again ... composing in notepad this time for safety :)

>10-11-84 Augusta Civic Center, Augusta, Me. (Thu)

>1: Shakedown, Greatest, Peggy-O, Mama Tried> Big River, Ramble On, L. L. Rain> Might As Well

>2: Bucket> Touch, Woman Smarter, Ship Of Fools, Playin> Drumz> Mr. Fantasy> Black Peter> Sugar Magnolia

>E: Day Job

>Filler: Dear Prudence, China Cat>Rider

From the first notes of "Shakedown" I knew this was going to be a special evening. The boys just seemed to be having fun up there on stage and that is always a good sign. They brought the harmonies and the funk for this one and the jams were just as tight as can be. The final little a capella bit here was outstanding as they layered the vocals one over the other to form a nice little "round" before synching up one last time and closing out with a bang.

I'm amazed every time I see these guys as they just keep getting better and better and their playing tighter and tighter. It's clear, to me at least, that this band is hitting on all cylinders and really reaching a creative peak that is something special in which to participate.

First Set highlights for me include an ethereal "Peggy-O" with some light, delicate jams compliments of J.K. He was enjoying the heck out of himself, or so it looked from the audience and that came out in his music as he took me to places I have seldom have the pleasure of visiting at a live show, truly breathtaking. The "Mama Tried" -> "Big River" was just rollicking good fun and the pace was frenetic. The first set in general (minus the two slower tunes) was just high energy and it afforded us all plenty of opportunity to shake our collective booty. The "Might As Well" to close the set was on point and when J.K. sang "never had such a good time, in my life before" it was clear he was feeling the lyrics. This song just didn't want to end and they went into the final chorus what seemed like 6 or 7 times and just rocked it out, awesome indeed.

As a side note, kudos to the sound guys (Cameron?) as the mix was spectacular last night. It was with great pleasure that I was able to pick out the various musical "sub-themes" particularly of Rob E. and Rob B. and it really drove home the point that these guys were in synch with one another. On top of that Kevin was dropping so many bombs I thought Homeland Security was going to bust in and take him away, he rattled my fillings and my innards more than once last night and held the base line with his wandering bass line all night long ... I think I even saw him smile once :).

On to the Second Set. The "Hell" was great, heck it was all great, but the highlights for me were firstly the "Playin'," a note about this particular song, when I said before that it seemed like these guys were really reaching new creative heights never was it more apparent than here. As we all know "Playin'" is a great launching pad for the boys and tonight they left the Galaxy. The jam out of "Playin'" into "Drums" and "Space" was out of this world funkadelic and by the time they actually hit drums we couldn't have been furthur from where we started if we had flown as a group to Rangoon, outstanding.

The "Fantasy" out of "Space" was awesome and the harmonies of Rob B. and John K. were spectacular to these ears. Words really don't quite suffice to describe how hot this song was. The "Black Peter" that followed was one of the finest renditions of that song I have ever had the pleasure to hear live or otherwise. The verses were sung with a delicate, pleading plaintiveness and the solos crescendoed to heights heretofore unreached, it doesn't hurt that this is one of my all time favorite songs either :).

While all of that was great, nothing compared to the filler tunes. I swear that "Dear Prudence" was 10-15 minutes long and it just seemed like they didn't want to end it. I can't say enough about how much Lisa brings to the proverbial table. The harmonies within this song were haunting and, simply put, on point. Gosh I was blown away by how hot this was! To top it all off we got a scorching "China" -> "Rider." I requested a '74 show on here a few wekes ago and while I didn't get the '74 show I did get an "Uncle John's" jam between the two that was certainly reminiscent of that era and it was so jaunty and funky it had me shakin'the notes off my body like water.

All in all it was a great show and it served to drive home even furthur the point that these guys are where it's at and those who can't get over their hangups regarding what these guys are doing are really doing themselves a huge disservice by avoiding this experience. Truly we saw a an '84 show but we did not see a Grateful Dead show, what we saw was most assuredly 100% DSO. Sure it was within a specific framework, but there is no mistaking that the jams, the scats, and the harmonies were as original as it gets.

I cannot wait for tonight. I no longer even care what year it's from because I know regardless what we're getting is going to be hot, hot, hot ... and that's all I have to say about that :)

Guest gypsydaze

well put nastero..nice review..for me know your rider had some awesome vocal and musical runs that just put it over the top of any one i've ever heard. it's beyond description to see DSO show their incredible versatilty outside the constraints of set lists...

so, w/ that being said, will they finish off Playing and UJB tonight? my hunch is this will be the 2nd show from that two night run in augusta....

well put nastero..nice review..for me know your rider had some awesome vocal and musical runs that just put it over the top of any one i've ever heard. it's beyond description to see DSO show their incredible versatilty outside the constraints of set lists...

so, w/ that being said, will they finish off Playing and UJB tonight? my hunch is this will be the 2nd show from that two night run in augusta....

Thanks Gypsy. I'm guessing since you wrote a review for the Arroyo Grande show that you're the kind lady I met briefly before the show last night. While I don't really care what show they play (though I wouldn't mind an original setlist), the 2nd night of that Augusta run with the UJB and the finish to the previous night's Playin' looks scorching.

10/12/84 -

Set One :

One Feel Like A Stranger [9:40] ;

It Must Have Been The Roses [5:48] ;

On The Road Again [3:05] ;

Jack-A-Roe [5:14] ;

It's All Over Now [7:46] ;

Cumberland Blues [5:34] ;

The Music Never Stopped [8:38]

Set Two :

Two Cold Rain And Snow [6:29] ;

Lost Sailor [6:37] >

Saint Of Circumstance [7:20] >

Don't Need Love [6:18] >

Uncle John's Band [10:30] >

Space [5:43] >

Drums [10:#33] >

Space [6:31] >

Playing In The Band Reprise [7:58] >

Uncle John's Band [2:02] >

Morning Dew [11:46]

Encore Good Lovin' [7:20]

Wow! That'd be sweet.

Guest gypsydaze
Thanks Gypsy. I'm guessing since you wrote a review for the Arroyo Grande show that you're the kind lady I met briefly before the show last night. While I don't really care what show they play (though I wouldn't mind an original setlist), the 2nd night of that Augusta run with the UJB and the finish to the previous night's Playin' looks scorching.

10/12/84 -

Set One :

One Feel Like A Stranger [9:40] ;

It Must Have Been The Roses [5:48] ;

On The Road Again [3:05] ;

Jack-A-Roe [5:14] ;

It's All Over Now [7:46] ;

Cumberland Blues [5:34] ;

The Music Never Stopped [8:38]

Set Two :

Two Cold Rain And Snow [6:29] ;

Lost Sailor [6:37] >

Saint Of Circumstance [7:20] >

Don't Need Love [6:18] >

Uncle John's Band [10:30] >

Space [5:43] >

Drums [10:#33] >

Space [6:31] >

Playing In The Band Reprise [7:58] >

Uncle John's Band [2:02] >

Morning Dew [11:46]

Encore Good Lovin' [7:20]

Wow! That'd be sweet.

you may have nastero...please intro yourself tonite. love to meet new heads. i'll be around the t-shirt and wharf rat tables!!! just a hunch but hey gotta finish what you start..we shall see!!!

Archived