Saint Of Circumstance [7:20] >

Don't Need Love [6:18] >

Uncle John's Band [10:30] >

Space [5:43] > Drums [10:#33] > Space [6:31] >

Playing In The Band Reprise [7:58] >

Uncle John's Band [2:02] >

Morning Dew [11:46]

Encore Good Lovin' [7:20]

The setlist may have been from 10-12-1984, but the music was out of this world.

The first set featured a prescient "Stranger" as it was indeed fixin' to be a "long, long, crazy, crazy night." I'd even go so far as to consider it a "silky, silky, crazy, crazy night." :)

I can't say enough how well these guys are currently playing. The "Roses" was brilliant and the final jam superbly built to a crescendo that set the stage for a rousing final chorus.

Still, first set highlights for me were a rockin' "On the Road Again" which was the first time I'd heard them do it electric and the arrangement was very cool and quite a far cry from what is familiar to me.

The "Cumberland Blues" was just a good old-fashioned hoe-down that had all the "boots" in the house stomping in ecstatic time with the band as they presented rock-fueled bluegrass in its finest form.

The "Music" was outstanding. The song was well played and the harmonies, again, on point but what really made this song stand out was the lead-in to the closing jam. For three or four minutes they danced and teased around the melody flitting here and there whilst exploring new ground within the context of the song. J.K.'s fingers were dancing up and down the fret searching for that final launching point as they dove head first into an amazing final jam that was truly worthy of closing the first set.

The second set opened with a very nice "Cold Rain and Snow," not one of my faves, but well played here and in keeping with the overall hotness and tightness of the previous nights work. The "Sailor" -> "Saint" was very nice and they explored the boundaries of the melody pushing the songs furthur than they have been taken in quite some time I'm sure.

A digression, as I listened to the band jam their way into that smokin' "Saint," the lyrics came to life for me. As Rob sang "This must be heaven, tonight I cross the line" I realized that if I hadn't crossed the line before, I had certainly crossed the line tonight as a full on believer in what these guys are doing up there and the creativity and dedication that goes into forging such tantalizingly tasty musical exploration for our pleasure. Some might say that this isn't the real thing and that it isn't even close enough to pretend, but I disagree, this is as real as it gets and it doesn't need to pretend to be anything other than what it is, quality music put forth with love and great energy and one cannot ask for anything better than that.

As much as last night's playing was fast-paced and frenetic, a theme carried over into the first set of tonight's show, the second set was a lesson in jazz exploration and they plumbed the depths of "Uncle John's Band" and wended their way into "rocky/jazzy" jam fueled by the syncopatic stylings of our two favorite drummers. The jam out of "Space" was quite nice as they worked their way from sonic chaos, waded through a see of dischordant notes, and washed upon the shores of a "Playin' Reprise" that brought form to the delightful jam and helped take us home ... a home where we found, waiting patiently for us, an otherworldy "Morning Dew." Quite the set closer and really one of the finer versions of this song I've had the pleasure of witnessing.

The filler started with a harmonious, gentle rendition of "Unbroken Chain" filled with great jams that bore within them the subtle threads of a funky beat. They followed that up with a solid version of "Waiting for A Miracle." Once again Lisa outdid herself and added her style and grace to the backdrop of this song, filling in the empty places elegantly. "Ripple" closed out the show, and what can you say about it? Beautiful, that's what. Great lyrics, great harmonies, a great way to end the West Coast run.

Yes, great job, excellent review, just one problem......

How was the 'Don't Need Love'?????

The "Don't Need Love" was great just like the rest of the show, I've never heard that song before so it was interesting to me. The lead-in jam was nice and slow, very elegantly played and led into the song quite nicely. Rob's vocals were spot-on as well. I've never been a big fan of the Brent tunes but I certainly can appreciate their draw for some folks and recognize a great performance of one when I see it, and I saw it last night.

Again, I just can't get over how well these gentlemen (and lady) are playing right now. They've always been good when I've seen them and had their moments of mind-blowing greatness but, for me, their cohesiveness really became apparent last Spring when I saw them out here and in Agoura Hills. Then I saw them perform again this past August in Santa Fe and despite travelling across the country the night before after having finished off what must have been an exhausting East Coast run they still brought the goods and the energy. It was about then I realized how special these times were for this band and for us, the fans. They have gotten better and better each time I've seen them and I anxiously anticipate their next turn out here as I imagine it will be equally as engaging, I'm not sure it can get much better than it currently is in terms of consistency and creativity. I certainly hope I'm wrong because if they can top their current level of play it's going to put my mind out of my body as I scale to the mountaintops of this musical Himilayas.

If there is anyone out there who hasn't heard the original show...It's one of the very few 84' shows I downloaded off archive...Garcia's voice on Morning Dew is just unreal...he belts it out even tho his voice is hurting...one of my favorite Dews ever! The whole show from start to finish is fantastic...I'm glad DSO busted this one out!

Guest crazy digits

funny you say it was the first On the Road Again you heard them do..When I saw the original GD Augusta show, it was my first time I heard that exact song...

All I can do is smile smile smile!!!

Thanks for the great review!!! Honestly, having been so lucky to see so many GD shows, I have to wonder why I can be soooo damn grateful to this band and not feel disloyal to Jerry.

Actually I don't wonder as I feel this band just helps continue the feeling....well actually.... this feeling left me before Jerry left.... but now I feel revitalized, renewed and an overwhelming amount of gratitude towards DSO for providing me the opportunity to feel the magic again!!!

I love DSO and I love hearing other people who get it too!!! I will continue to defend this band against those that don't allow themselves the chance to believe!

B) Smiles, Emma

• Forum MVP
I've never been a big fan of the Brent tunes but I certainly can appreciate their draw for some folks and recognize a great performance of one when I see it, and I saw it last night.

funny, that statement suprised me considering your avatar

awesome reviews btw

awesome reviews btw

I love Brent, and I love Brent's playing and the dynamic of the band when he's playing with them. Take the "Truckin' Up to Buffalo" DVD as an example. The interplay between he and Jerry is priceless there and adds an extra element of enjoyment to those tunes for me. I'm just not a big fan of Brent tunes is all. His singing is delightful and his high harmonies really complement the songs so it's nothing more than the tunes themselves that don't do it for me :)

Guest captain420

awesome reviews btw

I was about to say the same....

Thanks for sharing your prospective.

the "mama and papa" is from ramble on rose, not roses...

great review, great shows, and awesome lists

Ahh too right, nice catch. In my defense it was 1:30 and I was tired when I wrote it :). Still, it was the final chorus that they built up to that was just as good, even if I quoted the wrong song. Plus they played "Ramble On Rose" the night before, furthur fueling my confusion. If you liked the review from last night, I wrote one for the night before as well in Herdy's thread.

• Advisory Board
Wasn't this show performed on Scotty's last weekend with us at the State. Boy was that a great show. Would have loved to see it again : (((((

You're right, Anth.... totally forgot about that! Miss you Scotty!

Show #1,076 - Fri, Apr 22, 2005 at State Theatre, Falls Church, VA

Performing 10/12/1984 Civic Center, Augusta, ME

1:Stranger, Roses, On the Road Again, Jack A Roe, It's All Over Now, Cumberland, Music

2:Cold Rain, Sailor> Saint> Don't Need Love> Uncle John> Drumz> Playin> Uncle John> Morning Dew

Encore: Good Lovin

Filler: Scarlet> Fire

Last DSO Don't Need Love was 6/10/99 - Hot Buttered Rum opened

been missin' ya Anthony, plz give a big hug to E too!! We'll be at Nokia for sure so see you then... unless you can pry yourself away to come to denver this weekend?!?!?

Herdy, you found all those neurons you had flyin' around your head Sat night!!! HAHA, greeat seein' and dancin with you and Vegas and Blythe. Get some rest and I hope your ears are all cleaned out by now too. Big hug brotha... ;-)

• Advisory Board
been missin' ya Anthony, plz give a big hug to E too!! We'll be at Nokia for sure so see you then... unless you can pry yourself away to come to denver this weekend?!?!?

Herdy, you found all those neurons you had flyin' around your head Sat night!!! HAHA, greeat seein' and dancin with you and Vegas and Blythe. Get some rest and I hope your ears are all cleaned out by now too. Big hug brotha... ;-)

neurons. ha. that's funny.

a great night indeed. good to see you, too, christophe! it was fun dancing... phenomenal show, really. the groove was soooooo there. the dancing was ecstatic. especially enjoyed the stranger and, of course, the dew which was just massive. haven't heard a cold rain and snow in quite awhile if i recall correctly...

although, i'll tell you one thing... i was thrilled to get out of LA (and it took us a good two hours, too; what a process. it got better after that, though, and i'll leave the story of the desert and the joshua trees to the other two). the shows and the company were fantastic and i'd come back any day of the week for that, but for that alone. quote of the weekend on tinseltown... it was chuck who said it: "it's huge. and it sucks."

but my personal feelings for LA very much aside, how is it that this whole thing just keeps getting better and better? i swear, a teensy part of me has come to expect that one of these times, it's just not going to be as good as it has been before and that the subsequent "itch" for shows will as a result get a little less itchy (and require less scratching). well, for the sake of the rest of my life, that'd be fantastic. however, somehow everything that keeps me coming back for more is not merely maintaining status quo, it's surpassing it and growing and evolving and is just that much better. every. single. time. how that comes to pass is beyond me, but i figure as long as it is indeed coming to pass, i shouldn't worry too much about the logistics. i'll just show up and dance.

thank you guys and lisa. extraordinary days indeed.

much love, peace, and thanks from pre-show tempe, arizona,

blythe

• Forum MVP

Nastero that has to be one of the best reviews I have ever read!

"They have gotten better and better each time I've seen them " I do find myself saying this EVERY time I see them.

God I love this band !!!!

Nastero that has to be one of the best reviews I have ever read!

"They have gotten better and better each time I've seen them " I do find myself saying this EVERY time I see them.

God I love this band !!!!

Since I can't put my college degree (english lit major) to use in my day job (software developer) I sometimes like to take a stab at prose on the web's various message boards. Thanks for the kind words, it lets me know I still haven't lost my touch completely :)

how is it that this whole thing just keeps getting better and better? i swear, a teensy part of me has come to expect that one of these times, it's just not going to be as good as it has been before and that the subsequent "itch" for shows will as a result get a little less itchy (and require less scratching). well, for the sake of the rest of my life, that'd be fantastic. however, somehow everything that keeps me coming back for more is not merely maintaining status quo, it's surpassing it and growing and evolving and is just that much better. every. single. time. how that comes to pass is beyond me, but i figure as long as it is indeed coming to pass, i shouldn't worry too much about the logistics. i'll just show up and dance.

well said my darling! I was thinking the same exact thing after san fran....I've never ever been dissappointed at a DSO show, but I always preferred 70's shows or electives over 80's or 90's because of 2 reasons- first, I LOVE when Lisa sings and also because of the song selections, but damn, those 2 89 shows they did at the Fillmore were incredible! I would love to hear that Death Don't Have No Mercy>Dear Mr Fantasy>Hey Jude again! And it just keeps getting better and better....to the point where people are flying across the country, quiting their jobs, developing medical conditions from too much dancing, etc from this wonderful group of musicians...but we love them for it and wouldn't want it any other way:) I just feel so lucky I happened to stumble upon this little "three ring circus"! Can't wait for the Nov and Dec shows!!!!

xoxo,

Lisa

Archived