DSO audio vine sign up!

Guest Rob Eaton

• Forum MVP

I'm in to help in any way. I will have my burner up and running in a few weeks.

Just a thought .... I'm looking for a free FTP server program so we all can swap any kind of file from computer to computer. Anyone know a FREE and easy to use one? I would much rather trade and tree this way... just a thought

Thanks Rob !

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest rowjimmy
I'm in to help in any way. I will have my burner up and running in a few weeks.

Just a thought .... I'm looking for a free FTP server program so we all can swap any kind of file from computer to computer. Anyone know a FREE and easy to use one? I would much rather trade and tree this way... just a thought

Thanks Rob !

That is a great idea. If Rob and the band approve of it I will look into it furthur.

Guest Rob Eaton

A few things.... First off it's great to see interest in this. Having been a taper and collector my entire life I miss the old days of trading tapes with friends. All the shows that get released will be mastered here at home from one of Four formats. The DSO vault is pretty extensive. I would say at least 90% of DSO shows are there. The early tapes are Cassette. Then there was the move to DAT. We started making CD reference discs from the Alesis Masterlink along with the Dats for a while. As of May we've been recording everything on Hard Drives (Glyph) with Pro Tools recording software. We still make Dat backup's at the same time in case the computer crashes (which they do). At home here now I have tapes from late 04' to the present with a spatering of other things prior to 04'. I also have a tour or two from 00'. Ed has been storing most of our tapes for years and hopefully one day soon I'll have the whole vault in one spot. For now though I have plenty to start with. Whatever format I use it will be mastered and compiled in Pro Tools. From there I can burn Audio Discs. Everything since May is recorded 24bit/96k. I must admit I don't know anything about FLAC files. I've never dowloaded or traded CD's so this technology is new to me. Maybe Kirt can help me find Flac software that will work with Mac's. In the mean time we can get organized and start (knowing that some of you down the road would like the other files). Taper Ron will set up a spot on our forum for this Vine and I'll contact the few who responded to me in a PM about helping. Peace........ Also I will take suggestions but not making promises on Shows to release. Hope to get the first show out and to the first folks by the weekend....

• Forum MVP

Let me just say this....

Please let Rob have all the time he needs on this project..

I can understand the excitment Mr. Eaton has started today by allowing this to take place... the reason I can understand the excitement is I am as happy as can be :rolleyes:

BUT we must keep in perspective the task at hand and let this develop at its own pace...

If that means it takes 2 weeks, 2 months, or 2 DSO tours to get it moving than so be it...

I remember the old days of how difficult is was to get not only good Grateful Dead shows but just a Grateful Dead show that was half way decent to listen to...

Let us sit back and all take a deep breath... it will happen ... and with time come good things...

We all want to help... which is good.....

We all want CDs and dont wont to be the one who is "left out".... dont worry folks... we will all be taken care of and .......WE WILL ALL SURVIVE !! ... WE WILL GET BY !!

I have quite a few '01 most of '02 and some '03. Jimmmy ("DSO Ahead") left a DAT deck with the DSO and I provided DAT tapes. Situation Pete and Tiny taped the shows for us. Jimmmy would get the tapes burn CD's then Send the tapes to me. We sent copies to "Still Kickin" and "Denver Jim" who in turn did BP's. After Pete left they didn't have anyone free to run the deck. It seemed like a lot of folks back then weren't interested in building a collection they wanted the show they were at the night before and by the time we could get them seeded they had lost interest.

The response here is overwhelming! Perhaps, we could rotate who copies are sent to then everyone could trade around. Kinda like it used to be. Taping was a social event you'd get together drink a few beers puff a little and run decks.

I have never gotten into the flac thing, though I do know how to encode/decode. I think I have d/l'd maybe three shows (two GD and one DSO). I think it takes something away from the process (Glad the Captain and TF are in other states - my health coud be in jeopardy). You had to make contacts (spelled friends) to get the rare tapes.

Let me just say this....

Please let Rob have all the time he needs on this project..

I can understand the excitment Mr. Eaton has started today by allowing this to take place... the reason I can understand the excitement is I am as happy as can be :rolleyes:

BUT we must keep in perspective the task at hand and let this develop at its own pace...

If that means it takes 2 weeks, 2 months, or 2 DSO tours to get it moving than so be it...

I remember the old days of how difficult is was to get not only good Grateful Dead shows but just a Grateful Dead show that was half way decent to listen to...

Let us sit back and all take a deep breath... it will happen ... and with time come good things...

We all want to help... which is good.....

We all want CDs and dont wont to be the one who is "left out".... dont worry folks... we will all be taken care of and .......WE WILL ALL SURVIVE !! ... WE WILL GET BY !!

no doubt this is going to be fun and EVEYONE who wants shows will be sure to get them...even if i gotta do it myself

boy, how i remember waiting and waiting on new cassettes to come in the mail

then that's all we'd do for weeks is listen and copy and listen and copy

good, good times for sure

glad to be on this here bus with ya'll

don't worry about all the flac's and stuff this is WAY EASY

believe me...i'm 75% monkey and i can figure this stuff out...so can you all w/ a little guidance

and charlie miller would know about flac for mac for sure i would imagine

Guest captain420

FLAC is Better Quality (What we all want, right?) and SIMPLER (What we all want, right?) than audio discs...

ROB, here is a link for FLAC on MAC:

http://flac.sourceforge.net/download.html

If your source discs that are audio get scratched at all or any other damage and you try to extract the files from them, such as with EAC (Exact Audio Copy), they won't come out 100%..try it...--discs get scratched in the mail, especially if you don't use jewel cases..paper won't protect.

With FLAC data discs, you have that file set and you can use md5's to verify the file sets to make sure it is all there. You can create a md5 with Trader's Little Helper, very easily. It must be scratched pretty bad before you can't get the data from a FLAC data disc....You don't even need to use md5's really if you don't want to....just for the audiophiles.

Seriously folks, this stuff is REALLY EASY, if you need help, call me or PM me.......it is worth it to get FLAC in the long haul.

This music will outlast us, it is not ours...we owe it to furthur generations.

I am willing to help out anyone who needs it, don't be afraid to ask...

Request:

2/14/04 - Dallas Valentine's Day

Recreating 7/12/90 RFK

--Still have the "Believe It Or Not" mp3 from the audio site link from dso webpage.

:)

Guest ibewbro

I Can Duplicate Cd's and email as well. Consider me signed up too. Fwiw FLAC files are the way to go. Looking forward to the recent Fillmore shows someday................Thanks Again Rob, you Rock....

Guest mind of a squirrel

Hey guys- I see tons of talk about FLAC.

I believe Rob's initial plan for this whole scheme was to get something going that is person-to-person, and interactive in the way that it used to be 'back in the day', when we swapped our XLII cassettes in the mail, printed-off our tape lists at the library for a nickel a sheet, and that sort of thing.

He did mention in his original message that he expects all of this to end up on the Archive eventually after he releases them out into the world, but part of the reason for doing this would also be to make things easy on those that do not get involved with all of the file-swapping addiction that the rest of us do. Some folks just don't have fast internet connections, or the desire to get involved in all the new technology.

So- the question I have is, how would he go about doing this both ways? Perhaps someone at the start of the vine can also seed a torrent and post to the Internet Archive, or that could happen organically once the discs float around a bit. I heard someone mention being concerned about damage to the discs before a file-transfer is completed.

Anyhow- all things to think about, but I really like the spirit of Rob Eaton's original idea. Any of you old folks who remember what it felt like to get those tapes in the mail will agree. You young bucks that never got a pile of tapes in the mail ( maybe with a 'bonus'? :D ) should sit back and let it happen. It's fun. Life in the slow lane...

Guest captain420
You young bucks that never got a pile of tapes in the mail ( maybe with a 'bonus'? :D ) should sit back and let it happen. It's fun. Life in the slow lane...

I have received piles of tapes in the mail,.and I'm a young buck..not only tapes (yes, cassettes) but sweet bonus pix of Jerry & Phil....collage from '88 with setlists of tour on back....also discs...t-shirts, odds and ends....

but much more, rock solid friendships from people all across the country that love the same stuff you do....amazing!

If those files end up on the archive, better hope they are lossless~and as close to the master as possible.

It would pollute the trading pool to use a multi-gen audio disc copy and slap it up on the archive, much less to the other people in the vine. flacs flacs and nothing but the flacs.....

Do it however, I'm just here to shed light on the issue...and give correct information.

Hey guys- I see tons of talk about FLAC.

I believe Rob's initial plan for this whole scheme was to get something going that is person-to-person, and interactive in the way that it used to be 'back in the day', when we swapped our XLII cassettes in the mail, printed-off our tape lists at the library for a nickel a sheet, and that sort of thing.

He did mention in his original message that he expects all of this to end up on the Archive eventually after he releases them out into the world, but part of the reason for doing this would also be to make things easy on those that do not get involved with all of the file-swapping addiction that the rest of us do. Some folks just don't have fast internet connections, or the desire to get involved in all the new technology.

So- the question I have is, how would he go about doing this both ways? Perhaps someone at the start of the vine can also seed a torrent and post to the Internet Archive, or that could happen organically once the discs float around a bit. I heard someone mention being concerned about damage to the discs before a file-transfer is completed.

Anyhow- all things to think about, but I really like the spirit of Rob Eaton's original idea. Any of you old folks who remember what it felt like to get those tapes in the mail will agree. You young bucks that never got a pile of tapes in the mail ( maybe with a 'bonus'? :D ) should sit back and let it happen. It's fun. Life in the slow lane...

I remember, though I remember better the digital age before the advent of high speed connections but when SHN was conceived. The excitement of receiving (and then returning the favor to others) those SHN disks with their lossless goodness was awesome. Even still there was plenty of straight up music CDs traded as well and the vines that were started were a great way to get to know the other folks who loved the music. I remember when ETree first started and the initial discussions for designing the DB.Etree site. Heady days those were as the potential to get these crispy recordings to the masses was realized and put into action.

• Forum MVP

brightly-colored-35mm-film-digital-enhancement-~-200408792-001.jpg

Uh, OK, I downloaded Frick, but then Frack came along and I got confused when Frack tried to install Frick who I finally just told to run along while I went to look for my fricken, fracken bottle of aspirin... :wacko:

1. I really did download & install FLAC (I know, but just in case) using my high-speed DSL connection.
  2. I really do have a CD burner though I'll have to be very gentle since it's untried :blush: (Kelly has always kept me in G.D. & J.G.B. "bootlegs"--in fact I just got 7 more in the mail on Saturday that I've been singin' along with--WOO HOO!!! Yeah, Duffy, aka the Shaggy Dog, thinks I'm bonkers too).
  3. I have (obviously) toooo much time.
  4. It only takes me about 5 minutes to drive to the little country post office in Arcola.

Coincidentally, I just said to Kelly that I wasn't sure to whom I should address what is probably another dumb question from a rookie, but I wanted to ask why DSO's music isn't more readily available to all the techNOTs. i.e. most of the CD's on the DSO homepage are sold out (???) And I have checked availability from time to time ever since July. FWIW I just thought I surely wasn't the only one who would be more than happy to fork over the price of a few CD's to be able to crank up The 1000th Show, Halloween 2004, etc. whenever I took a notion. And, as I recall from a post a few months ago, it isn't as though this completely amazing and wonderfully talented bunch of guys and gal are enjoying the fat life at all. I am humbled by your sacrifices. I suppose the short answer is that the Dead didn't operate that way, and for most longtime, hardcore DSO fans the Tapers Section readily provides for them whatever is available.

Anyhoo, I just really want to say that the generosity of DSO and their deadication to the music and their fan base is overwhelming and leaves me speechless (at last). :grouphug: I'm sure we'll all be only too happy and grateful to do whatever and whenever to the best of our ability to furthur the music and the cause of the band we love so dearly.

Gratefully,

Brenda

• Forum MVP

What a fantastic topic. It'll be great to have the shows and learn a thing or two about CD duplication.

Would it be possible to establish, pardon me if there is a protocol that I missed, a step by step set of accepted ways to burn and ship CD's in this vine for us novices? i.e acceptable software, formats, etc.

Getting excited....

:looky:

Guest captain420
What a fantastic topic. It'll be great to have the shows and learn a thing or two about CD duplication.

Would it be possible to establish, pardon me if there is a protocol that I missed, a step by step set of accepted ways to burn and ship CD's in this vine for us novices? i.e acceptable software, formats, etc.

Getting excited....

:looky:

I think they are doing something here with that....

http://www.dsoforums.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=4739

a-"FLAC"

127721686_e47cf2324e.jpg

Even this duck wants FLACs!

Archived