Just Curious

Taper Ron

definitely flac...i just load up a dvd or 3 full of shows and viola...lotsa goodies and WAY less waste, cost, postage...blah, blah, blah

and it's just drag and drop to the HD/desktop no long burns :)

plus, the most important part is it's not a generation every time it's copied or transfered

and i DON'T trust nero for an exact audio copy...ESPECIALLY at speeds over 8X for audio...no more than 6X for dvds

i use Exact Audio Copy ONLY for audio extractions and burnings

here's the thing...it seems a few people are really balking at the idea of flac...it's scary

well...lemme tell ya...it's NO HARDER than learining to use a burning program like nero

and actually, it's probably EASIER...seriously

CHANGE IS GOOD

learning new things is GOOD

have a grateful day...i'm off to the rain soaked ledges for the weekend

peace

k

• Forum MVP

I'm a BackFlacker!

It's environmentally better - less discs to burn.

It preserves the music better - audio CD extractions add gens

No need for an audio CD unless you are shipping the show(s) to a person who only can play audio discs or prefers them.

Guest rowjimmy

I would like to learn more about it in order to make an informed decision. Archive quality vs. ease of use etc.

Looking to get my hands dirty first.

• Forum MVP

Flac... highest audio quality... so easy a monkey could do it... and only one disc is used...

NOTE: Flac is really only feasible for those with a DVD-burner (or DVD-rom if your not burning copies) as a flac show is too big for a cd-r... i guess you could split it up... but arent DVD-r's exponentially better than cd-rs (in terms of quality of the disc).. not to mention they hold almost 5 GB as cd-rs only hold a little more than .5 GB

Flac... highest audio quality... so easy a monkey could do it... and only one disc is used...

NOTE: Flac is really only feasible for those with a DVD-burner (or DVD-rom if your not burning copies) as a flac show is too big for a cd-r... i guess you could split it up... but arent DVD-r's exponentially better than cd-rs (in terms of quality of the disc).. not to mention they hold almost 5 GB as cd-rs only hold a little more than .5 GB

not really

before i had i dvd burner i was flac-in' my ass of on cd-r's

and not necessarily true about the quality either...just depends on the brand there

if i can find the link that did scientific research on discs to tell which were better i'll post it next week

it was amazing...most of the gold super high end discs i'd never even heard of

but, by far taiyo yuden are exceptional discs for playback and storage...which is what 90% of my discs are for

i also have a link to a place w/ no shipping cost...and they are WAY cheaper than retail

TY's are what i get...cd-r's and dvd-r's...NEVER had a bad burn yet...but, ya gotta burn SLOW w/ any disc

http://www.supermediastore.com/taiyo-yuden...line-200pk.html

also check out TY's cd-rs for exceptional value and performance

Guest captain420

FLAC :icon14:

I've already pleaded the case and glad to see others backing FLAC up...

If you *REALLY* care about Sound quality...you would choose FLAC....it is a no-brainer folks....

Kevin, that media store has GREAT prices...thanks for the link! 100 pack DVD-R TY for $25.00 + free shipping.

also...

TR, wouldn't a poll be a little bit easier on you?

Guest cruz95062
Who prefers trading using FLAC? I don't mean up/downloading, I mean trading discs. I understand that it lossless and uses less space.

Personally, I prefer audio discs.

I am okay with FLAC. I guess the benefit is less time and material to transfer? We can still convert/burn to CDs when needed.

• Forum MVP

Taper Ron -

My vote is for CDs ..

I only listen to music in three places:

1. The Teacher Honda Civic... which I have invested a great deal of money in a stereo stystem.

2. At home .. where I have invested a great deal of money in a stereo system.

3. My classroom ... I have a small radio with a CD player and when my class does group work there is always a little music playing on that in the background...

I dont carry an IPOD around, I dont use my computer at for it, etc...

so give my CDs ..

I am old school and I am sticking to it...

:rofl: sorry Brother, couldn't resist :rofl:

OK, I know - humor is great and all, but in this discussion could we just please stick to the flacs?

Ba dump bump.

And by the way - I reiterate what everyone else already said.

Flacs. They play well together, nestle nicely on a portable 500 gb drive, and come through WinAmp just fine. It occurred to me awhile ago that pretty soon my music will no longer involve my stereo and that the thousands of CD's I've burned will be viewed as tediously painful to sift through and deal with. So I started simply storing all my music in flac on portable drives and pushing their content to my sound system. As storage drops in price, this becomes easier and - thankfully - bandwidth expands to allow for pretty much non-stop downloads. Azureus feeds me pretty much 24/7 (OK, so I'm obsessive) and thanks to Rob Eaton and Charlie Miller and so many others I now have in my home the bulk of the Vault I used to fantasize about the way a 5 year old thinks of Disney World.

And as time goes by, I realize that while I may have been right about CD's becoming obsolete, I was probably wrong about needing the drives as a replacement. Because I probably won't need anything stored locally in the future. There will be no difference between putting an old LP on the turntable and clicking a mouse to listen to 5-2-70 stream in lossless format from a server in Tajikistan. (OK, maybe not Tajikistan but how about Nome, Alaska? Or Paris, France. No, not Paris, France.)

I remember those good old days of XL-IIS bundles arriving in decorated padded enelopes - full of mystery. But somehow I've managed to replace them with the various online communities that proliferate, and at the same time save myself the hassles of relying on Newman to deliver my mail.

Sorry to ramble. But I vote for an FTP server for DSO flacs, and a nice forum space to instruct on technology, commune on music, and reminisce about the days of Newman.

Which leads me to your homework assignment: please listen to the Dark Star > Dancin' transition on 5-19-07 and tell me what you think about the nice tension Eaton creates with the Dancin' riff while the Band sticks to it's knitting. Rhythm section doesn't take the bait easily and it makes for a nice few moments.

• Forum MVP

pls -

speak for yourself when you say "reiterate what eveyone else said" ...

I want CDs ...

and yes I know all the great things you say and everyone else says about FLACs..

but it is not for me in terms of MY wants and needs...

speaking as the Government teacher I am... "Freedom of choice is one of the bedrocks of our country"...

Guest captain420
pls -

I want CDs ...

and yes I know all the great things you say and everyone else says about FLACs..

but it is not for me in terms of MY wants and needs...

speaking as the Government teacher I am... "Freedom of choice is one of the bedrocks of our country"...

Matt, no problem.

If it comes down to it, I will burn you the audio discs myself and send them to you.

How does that sound? ;)

pls -

Ouch. Didn't mean to piss you off there, Professor. I'm all for our bedrocks. (I like the Bedrock where Fred and Wilma get a Brontosaurus Burger particularly well.)

• Forum MVP

Mason -

That would fine with me my friend ....

as long as you all do what you think is best and are willing to invest the time ... I am all for it... less work for us older heads...and I get my good old CD's that I get to write on and decorate !!!! ... yeah art class !!!

pls... no reason for the foul language ... but again freedom of speech ....

• Forum MVP

Matt's certainly representative of a constituency out there. That constituency will be best served by as-much-as-possible distribution of FLACs so that when they get their audio discs, there will have been fewer extractions between them and the original.

Sorry Ron I know you only want a tally. I promise to shutup now.

Louie Louie.

ok.... NOW!

:rofl: sorry Brother, couldn't resist :rofl:

I'm flattered. "BackFlacker" was supposed to be funny!!

....ok NOW!!!!!!!

• Forum MVP

Teacher Matt is not a Luddite (and I know no one was saying he is :icon14:) and I have total sympathy with his position...that is my inclination also. And he does speak for me when it comes to listening locales. I still handle CDs as if they were LPs, carefully by the edges, attempting to avoid all smudges, much less scratches and nicks.

But I do want to learn this new-fangled thingy that's only been around what, a decade or so? I even understand most of what is being discussed as regards the technical aspects here. The only concern I have is that my system, while pretty good (a 4 year old Dell), doesn't burn to DVD-R, which would seem to be necessary for optimum performance and participation. As asked in another context, what then is to be done?

I miss album art and liner notes that are large enough to read...

Archived