Best and Worst of NFL fans

jackjones

Who do you think are the best and worst of NFL fans?

First of all let me say that I am a (sigh, hang head) lifelong Minnesota Vikings fan. It is a painful, painful experience that I wish upon none of you. I can already see that I am going to be mad about Randy Moss not wearing purple for the rest of my life.

The Best Fans:

Moving to Green bay from MN as a young child, I could tell the Packer fans had *something special* that the vikings fans just didn't have. I don't just mean high cholesterol. I think they were just less jaded, having picked up a couple of rings while the Vikings had lost 4 Super Bowls in the recent history (70's).

Lambeau really is football heaven. They start drinking beer, listening to polka and stuffing their faces with sausages and cheese at dawn outside the stadium. It is hard to hate on the Packers fans. They are just too nice. I would have to say they are really the best fans in the NFL. (Honorable mention goes to Philly and Oakland)

The Worst Fans:

Easily the Carolina Panthers. They get criticized for being a "wine and cheese" crowd all the time, but it really is sort of true. Add the fact that this (NC) was all Redskin country prior to the expansion in the early ninteies. It is hard to see your old friends so many years claiming to be a "lifelong Panthers fan" when you remember they are from Cleveland (or wherever)... It is hard not to give fair-weather fans a hard time...

They lost half of their potential fanbase the year before they started playing when they released their logo. Silver and teal? Even today, half the clothing in Goodwill stores here are Carolina Panther swag that no one wants to wear.

The Best:

Steeler Fans. The most dedicated, devoted, well traveled fans around. When you come to Heinz Field (as an opponent), you don't get the trash throwing bullshit you find around the league (unless you "ask" for it!).

The Worst:

The Ravens and Jets. Through personal expierence. I was at a game in Baltimore in 1996 (Old Memorial Stadium), the Ravens were kicking our ass (Steelers), but we were heading to the playoffs and the lowly Ratbirds were sittiing at 4-12. I had so much shit thrown at me, it was freeakin ridiculous. This is not "every" fan as I sat next to 2 old timers who kept apologizing for other idiots in the crowd. At one point, in the bathroom, while my friend was using the urinal, a Ratbird fan came up to him and punched him in the face! I told the dipstick right there, "You actually don't even deserve an NFL team".

Anytime, I've gone to Jet games as the opponent, same thing. In 1989, the Steelers shut the Jets out 13-0. At one point, Greg Lloyd (LB), knocked Pat Ryan out cold, and anyone who had a Steeler jersey on at that time caught a rash of shit. Beer, hot dogs, whatever came reigning down on us. It does not make for a fun afternoon! In fact, I turned down 40 yd line, 20th row, for this years game (plus we'll be up in Amherst!) So those are my 2 worst, but it's NOT everybody! There's always going to be those drunken idiots who make it uncomfortable for all!

Peace.

Best: Steelers of course! What can we say, we just are! I agree with the Green Bay fans too. Never met a rude one yet!

Worst: Philly!!! They boo their own team! They boo Santa Claus for God's sake! I just hate Philly in general, and the assholes that live their make it easier to hate them. (sorry if you live there)

BTW: Just to brag a little, I'll be at the game Monday watching the Steelers kick Baltimore's ass!

Best: Steelers of course! What can we say, we just are! I agree with the Green Bay fans too. Never met a rude one yet!

Worst: Philly!!! They boo their own team! They boo Santa Claus for God's sake! I just hate Philly in general, and the assholes that live their make it easier to hate them. (sorry if you live there)

BTW: Just to brag a little, I'll be at the game Monday watching the Steelers kick Baltimore's ass!

AlllRight! Fellow Steeler brother! You'll be havin a great time come Monday, as they are honoring the 75th AllTime team! Lots of Hall of Famers will be IN THE HOUSE! Just wish Lambert would put the pads on 1 more time and tear that loser McNair to shreds! HERE WE GO!

look: apparently SI agress with us, ranking "gameday atmosphere" much like we did (Except for the obvious typo of placing the Panthers at #10 and the Vikings at #31. Clearly these two were accidentally switched)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/foot...ex.html?eref=T1

NFL Fan Value Experience

SI.com rates the game day atmosphere for each team

Fan Value Experience

The Rankings

How They Finished

* 1. Packers - Lambeau Field

* 2. Steelers - Heinz Field

* 3. Browns - Cleveland Browns Stadium

* 4. Lions - Ford Field

* 5. Ravens - M&T Bank Stadium

* 6. Eagles - Lincoln Financial Field

* 7. Seahawks - QWEST Field

* 8. Colts - RCA Dome

* 9. Titans - LP Field

* 10. Panthers - Bank of Amer. Stadium

* 11. Patriots - Gillette Stadium

* 12. Jaguars - Municipal Stadium

* 13. Broncos - INVESCO Field at Mile High

* 14. Texans - Reliant Stadium

* 15. Bills - Ralph Wilson Stadium

* 16. Chiefs - Arrowhead Stadium

* 17. Buccaneers - Raymond James Stadium

* 18. Saints - Louisiana Superdome

* 19. Bengals - Paul Brown Stadium

* 20. Bears - Soldier Field

* 21. Raiders - McAfee Stadium

* 22. Chargers - Qualcomm Stadium

* 23. Dolphins - Dolphin Stadium

* 24. Cardinals - Univ. of Phoenix Stadium

* 25. Giants - Giants Stadium

* 26. Cowboys - Texas Stadium

* 27. Rams - Edward Jones Dome

* 28. Redskins - FedEx Field

* 29. Falcons - Georgia Dome

* 30. 49ers - Monster Park

* 31. Vikings - HHH Metrodome

* 32. Jets - Giants Stadium

By Paul Forrester, SI.com (with additional writing and reporting by Nicki Jhabvala and Bryan Graham)

For NFL fans, each Sunday's game is only part of an event that includes a lot more than what happens between the hash marks for three hours. From the commute, to tailgating to taking one's seat, the act of attending a game is an experience shared by every NFL fan from Seattle to Miami. But what separates one venue from another?

That's what SI.com has attempted to discover in rating the experiences each NFL team offers the fans who attend their games. From ticket prices to availability, from the quality of the tailgating to the comfort of the seats, we asked fans to rank and describe every aspect of the game day experience. After painstakingly reviewing each of the 17,000 responses in our online survey, we sorted the information to give you a snapshot of what our readers told us and rated each team in seven categories.

The criteria we used is described below. In the cases of a tie, teams were ranked based on the length of their current sellout streak. Hence, though the top two teams finished with the same score, the fact that No. 1 (Green Bay) has sold out every game since 1960 carries the day over a team (Pittsburgh) with a sellout streak dating to '72.

So dive in, football fans, to the chart above, and see how each team stacks up. And, of course, be sure to weigh in with your thoughts.

The ratings in each category were determined by the following:

Tickets

The availability of tickets and fan atmosphere were weighed against the average ticket price (determined by Team Marketing Report's 2007 NFL Fan Cost Index, which represents a weighted average of season ticket prices for general seating). The lower the price, the fewer the available seats and the more festive the crowd, the better.

Food & Souvenirs

Does the stadium offer a selection of food that can fuel a fan's passion for the game, or does it specialize in a typical spread of lukewarm hot dogs and expensive beer that can sap a crowd of its vigor as quickly as a loss on the scoreboard?

Accessibility

Is the trip to the stadium smooth or as thick as molasses? Do public buses or rapid transit trains offer more convenient alternatives to driving? And how is the search, and cost, for parking?

Tailgating

The tenor of the game ahead often is set at the hours spent grilling in the parking lot beforehand. What teams offer the chance for fans to bond over fabulous food and heated football talk? Which teams don't?

Team

Is the team's performance worth watching?

Stadium Atmosphere

A facility's architecture can go a long way toward making a fan feel the team isn't merely a tenant, but a resident of the city. Of course, it can also make one feel like the team plays in a soul-less mall. Those teams that do their best to incorporate the city beyond its walls can charm fans even during a losing season; those that don't better win or risk irrelevancy.

Neighborhood

Is the city that lies beyond the stadium's walls worth visiting before or after the game? Is it safe? Or is one best served by beating a hasty retreat to the safety of home?

Again, there just isn't much to do in Green Bay. It is no wonder.

** edit **

the more I look at that list the more I think it is total crap.

3 AFC North Teams in the top 5?

And the Vikings have sold out every game for the past 100 games (as of this week). It is a known hostile crowd. WTF?

Archived