Ridgefield Friday

Fennario

The show was from the Philly Spectrum on 3/24/73 (a one drummer show). If I counted correctly that's 31 songs plus Spanish Jam :huh:

SET 1

Bertha

BIODTL

Don't Ease Me In

Race Is On

Cumberland

Box of Rain

Row Jimmy

Jack Straw

TLEO

Mexicali

Tennessee Jed

LL Rain

Wave that Flag

El Paso

Here Comes Sunshine

Bobby McGee

Loser

Playin'

SET 2

Promised Land

China>Rider

Big River

Stella Blue

Me & My Uncle

He's Gone

Truckin'>Spanish Jam

Dark Star

Sing Me Back Home

Sugar Magnolia

E: Johnny B Goode

Filler: Let Me Sing YourBlues Away

It was a very straight forward early 70's type show, Lots of short songs, not too spacey, and no long jams. Highlights for me were Wave that Flag (my first), Sing Me Back Home, and an up tempo TLEO. Still wish I had seen last night's show though.

I loved this show. Amazingly long first set: over 2 hours! Highlights for me were Here Comes Sunshine and the Playin' jam, as well as Sing Me Back Home. John's vocals were really sweet on that one.

The show was from the Philly Spectrum on 3/24/73 (a one drummer show). If I counted correctly that's 31 songs plus Spanish Jam :huh:

SET 1

Bertha

BIODTL

Don't Ease Me In

Race Is On

Cumberland

Box of Rain

Row Jimmy

Jack Straw

TLEO

Mexicali

Tennessee Jed

LL Rain

Wave that Flag

El Paso

Here Comes Sunshine

Bobby McGee

Loser

Playin'

SET 2

Promised Land

China>Rider

Big River

Stella Blue

Me & My Uncle

He's Gone

Truckin'>Spanish Jam

Dark Star

Sing Me Back Home

Sugar Magnolia

E: Johnny B Goode

Filler: Let Me Sing YourBlues Away

It was a very straight forward early 70's type show, Lots of short songs, not too spacey, and no long jams. Highlights for me were Wave that Flag (my first), Sing Me Back Home, and an up tempo TLEO. Still wish I had seen last night's show though.

All I can say is that I do not know what I did to deserve that setlist.. Somebody up there really loves me this time!!! I have never been so blown away! Lisa, Thank you for missing your flight as I suspect that if you had not, this setlist may have been Thursday nights instead??

Good to see The Steve's..Fennerio, Prescott, Vegas & the band of course!!.

By the way, I think Fancy Steve needs to meet Rowjimmy's friend Mr. Kelly as I am sure he can whip some real nice DSO formal wear together for us!!!

Till Nokia everyone! I'm goin to sleep now! Thanks again DSO!!!!!!!!!

Alex911sc

• Forum MVP

No long jams with a 73 Playin and a Dstar?

No long jams with a 73 Playin and a Dstar?

Ooops. Didn't mean to imply that there were no jams. There certainly were Playin' and Dark Star jams as well as Spanish Jam (hence the name :) ). They just weren't the long, developed, spacey jams you'd find in later era shows, especially in the second sets where an entire set might be one song/jam into another. Last night, except for China>Rider, each song was pretty much its own entity. Typical of an early 70's show. Let's face it, if your going to pack a whopping 31 songs into 4 and 1/2 hours there's just not going to be time for many long jams. Grate to see so many old faces and meet some new ones last night. And Fancy Steve, you've really gotta dress down for these shows ;) . Peace all.

I just wanted to say thanks to DSO for two absolutely fantastic nites in CT, and in particular that massive two hour plus first set Friday nite. I could not help but feel that most bands would have chosen to play a much shorter show with a drive planned to vermont I would think after the show. The fact that they were willing to play so late into the nite, when I think many bands would have made it an early nite, is one of the reasons DSO is amazing to experience.!!!!!

• Forum MVP

Who is this fancy steve and when can I meet him???????

If the first two shows are any indication of what's in store, we are in for one hell of a weekend.

I agree with the assesment of standard 73 show (meaning no jam) but how can you complain about 31 song show and Sing Me Back Home was mind blowing, they just absolutely nail that every time.

This band is on fire!!!!

Guest rowjimmy

Pretty close to my dream show last night. I need to type since I can't talk right now.

After 2 hours 15 mins into the show, I thought the town was enforcing some kind of curfew and we were going to get one long set. When Rob announced that they were taking a break and would be back, I couldn't believe it.

Great kicking off the tour and seeing all you guys at Ridgefield..looking forward to Nokia and beyond

Safe travels....

Guest guyute420

Both nights were heat, but last night's first set was unreal. Really nice room, too. It was nice to see some familiar faces there. Can't wait for Nokia! :icon14:

Pretty close to my dream show last night. I need to type since I can't talk right now.

After 2 hours 15 mins into the show, I thought the town was enforcing some kind of curfew and we were going to get one long set. When Rob announced that they were taking a break and would be back, I couldn't believe it.

Great kicking off the tour and seeing all you guys at Ridgefield..looking forward to Nokia and beyond

Safe travels....

I just crawled outa bed and am still buzzing about last nights show... Then I realized I already posted... Duh... But as I may have stated above, that I am unsure how I deserved this show, I realized that it is just one of the benifets of falling into this circus ride called DSO and being a very fortunate fan....

Rowjimmy, thanks again and thank you even more for the transportation!!!!!!!!!! China if I ever tried to get there! :rofl:

Counting the days till Nokia already!

Alex911sc

• Forum MVP
Ooops. Didn't mean to imply that there were no jams. There certainly were Playin' and Dark Star jams as well as Spanish Jam (hence the name :) ). They just weren't the long, developed, spacey jams you'd find in later era shows, especially in the second sets where an entire set might be one song/jam into another.

Longer jams in the later era shows? Never heard that one before. They changed their format after 74 and most old schoolers were not overly pleased with the shorter versions of songs--no more 45 minute (!) playins for example. No second sets that were basically one song. Most old school heads consider the jamming from the live dead era to have disappeared by the time of the later era shows. The transitions from one song to the next, for example, were nowhere near as long or interesting--much of the time there were no transitions from a Miracle into a Wharf Rat--something Garcia claimed was out of laziness.

But I do understand what you are saying in terms of playing a 31 song set and not being able to stretch out a j straw or a ll rain. You guys would have been served a breakfast a dawn! Looks like they did Ridgfield proud. Although in my mind, it's hard to beat a D Star>Sing Me>Sugar trifecta jam! :P

Longer jams in the later era shows? Never heard that one before. They changed their format after 74 and most old schoolers were not overly pleased with the shorter versions of songs--no more 45 minute (!) playins for example. No second sets that were basically one song. Most old school heads consider the jamming from the live dead era to have disappeared by the time of the later era shows. The transitions from one song to the next, for example, were nowhere near as long or interesting--much of the time there were no transitions from a Miracle into a Wharf Rat--something Garcia claimed was out of laziness.

But I do understand what you are saying in terms of playing a 31 song set and not being able to stretch out a j straw or a ll rain. You guys would have been served a breakfast a dawn! Looks like they did Ridgfield proud. Although in my mind, it's hard to beat a D Star>Sing Me>Sugar trifecta jam! :P

I absolutely agree with with what you're saying as far as the 45+ minute Dark Stars and the like from the 60's. Unfortunately I didn't see my first GD show til '74 so that's my point of reference for live shows. By "longer jams in later era shows" I was referring more to the shows that DSO recreates (post '71 or '72). :)

I was surprised that the Dark Star was so short. It was great, and then after "transitive nightfall of diamonds..." I thought, well, here we go... But then it was cut short by the band all lining up at the mics for Sing Me. I chalked it up to a probable venue curfew. They started the show at 8:00 sharp, and only had time for one short filler, so any longer jams might have left them with an unfinished show.

I would have liked a longer DS jam, but it was still a killer show, and I guess not many venues are prepared to host a real old fashioned GD-plays-for-hours-and-hours-without-end show.

• Advisory Board
Who is this fancy steve and when can I meet him???????

If the first two shows are any indication of what's in store, we are in for one hell of a weekend.

I agree with the assesment of standard 73 show (meaning no jam) but how can you complain about 31 song show and Sing Me Back Home was mind blowing, they just absolutely nail that every time.

This band is on fire!!!!

i, for one, was very pleased to meet fancy steve. i found him quite lovely. polite, too. as to the rest of you...

:)

wow what a good time that was. i feel like i'm still riding the high from that MONSTER show. many thanks to the band and so good to see everyone. i'm at work at the wine bar where we use pandora.com and i just snuck on the dead station and don't ease just came on. happy memories of last night make for a happy bartender.

• Forum MVP
I absolutely agree with with what you're saying as far as the 45+ minute Dark Stars and the like from the 60's. Unfortunately I didn't see my first GD show til '74 so that's my point of reference for live shows. By "longer jams in later era shows" I was referring more to the shows that DSO recreates (post '71 or '72). :)

74! What a fantastic year to start seeing shows. Consider yourself royalty among other mere mortal concert goers!

Archived