10th anniversary show

smile_smile_smile

set one: gimme some lovin'>might as well>good lovin'; sitting on top of the world; lazy lightening>supplication; ramble on rose; easy wind; strange man; silver threads*@; dire wolf@; unbroken chain

set two: alligator>drums>alligator jam>who do u love>scarlet>fire>drums>space(walrus tease)>WRS prelude@>WRS Part I>St. Stephen>So many roads>sugar magnolia

encore: touch of grey

*first time played by DSO

@-eaton on acoustic

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

No question that Dark Star Orchestra brings new life, new meaning, and new smiles to the music the Grateful Dead brought to so many people for 30 years.

Thank you DSO for keeping the music alive and allowing so many people who saw the Dead play it live get to enjoy a experience very close to the ones many of us did enjoy....

• Forum MVP

having been into the grateful dead my entire adult life.... seeing 150 "real" dead shows over twenty years, and owning and listening to no other music than the grateful dead, jgb, and dso....... first of fucking all ..............I know who the greatful dead are.....

secondly, i was at the 6/20/83 Merriweather show......

thirdly, over the past 4 days, i have put close to 1000 miles on my dodge pick-up (which not that anybody cares has 216,000 miles on it, purring like a kitten) seeing four more "dso" dead shows......

next, i am FULLY AWARE!!! the grateful dead lived it, wrote, composed it, own the publishing writes to it ....

as far as 7 people or for argument sake 6 people walking out onto a stage and playing sugar magnola, it was the hottest i have ever heard and seen........ i feel that i am qualified to have that opinion....

have you even heard last night's show yet????????

my truck was in the higher ground parking lot.... where was the honda.....

just because someone did it first it can never be done better??????

stop constantly pissing on my parade and being so fucking negative about everything.... life is to fucking short......

Dude it would take a lot of piss to piss B) on your guys parade this past friday in Ridgefield. Boy you guys were gettin it all night. Grate to watch. So great in fact I was standing right behind you all on that smoking second set. Travel safe fellas.

Anth :) :) :):lol:B):huh:

• Forum MVP
as far as 7 people or for arguement sake 6 people walking out onto a stage and playing sugar magnola, it was the hottest i have ever heard and seen........ i feel that i am qualified to have that opinion....

have you even hear last night's show yet????????

I'll take your word for it about the Sugar...and the image of Rob and the fact that he was probably taken over by demonic forces the way Weir was on that 83 SSDD is a great picture. I hope he was able to get a hold of himself once again after the encore. :lol:

• Forum MVP

I could be wrong but I think Mr. Eaton may be one of the people we have to thank for taping that magical Merriweather show. If it wasn't for the brave souls who did (in that thunderstorm), the inconceivable genius of that night would have been lost to history. How sad is that thought?

Same for 6.18.83...

All Right!!! Yes, what a SHOW! Kick ass from start to finish. It's DSO's birthday, but WE GOT THE GIFTS! Thanks for those 1st time played gems and what seems to be a nice little drop back into the older material. Silver Threads, Sittin on Top, Alli-fuckin-gator, Who Do You Love, WOW! All fun and great times with great people down in front. See you in Geneva!

My 2 cents for the Sugar Mag... yes indeed incredibly hot, but the REAL Dead was a personal issue. There were PLENTY of times where you could say, "Holy Shit, that was the Hottest....ever played!" It was all up to you. Your night, your buzz, your space. Listen to some old interviews when Jerry and /or Bob would say..."We were awful", but YOU had a great time. I could list highlight moments from now until the keys on this computer melt, and someone out there will disagree or get it. DSO is getting better and that's what counts. Get out there and dance yer ass off!

Guest dcronin

Yeah okay....So, pointless comparisons aside, the 10th Anniversary show Sunday Night was just smokin' from start to finish. The first set sounded like a second set. The second set was mind-blowing. Best DSO show I've ever seen. The sound was perfect. The vibe was perfect. Even the staff was in a good mood.

Now, it's the nature of these forums that other posters will pounce on comments that touch on touchy areas, and in this forum, one of those touchy areas would be comparing DSO performances to the Dead. However, having been at this show, I can relate to the comment that the Sugar Magnolia was the best ever played by anyone, anywhere. It's not that I literally believe that. The Dead played it so many times, many of which I never heard recordings of, much less in person, so I wouldn't even venture a comparison. However, there was something about this show that inspires one to make wild claims like that, so when I read that, I knew where that sentiment came from, and to me it has nothing to do with comparisons to the Dead. Let me explain:

One of the things about this music that keeps us coming back to it is that there's a quality of infinite potential, and usually at least in the second set, there is some exploration of new territory, or pushing a climactic part of a song one step higher....And the audience participation piece is there too, we all have this music within us as well, so sometimes we're filling in or adding to the music mentally, some would say non-verbal communication between band and audience....

However, the DSO anniversary show was so good, that at several points during it, such as Supplication, Alligator - Scarlet - Fire, Sunshine Daydream, the music reached this point where it felt like....Perfection. Peaked. Maxed out. Sure, the crowd surely fed energy to the band, but musically, this was a one way street coming from the band, they were just on fire, relentlessly barraging us with tasty musical goodness.

Thanks boys (and Lisa, who's singing was in top form also, got to enjoy the music directly fed into those big headphones and was obviously loving every minute of it!).

Wow,

I have to say that while this was a strong show there were some weak points that, from my perspective, detracted from the show. Strange man was as shriek fest and who do you love was a weak cover at best. Weather report prelude was out of place and really brought the energy level down a notch or two as did Roads. The Alligator was mind blowing as was sittin on top of the world. In general the show was a solid good time and the energy was good. I must admit that the shows where alcohol is served detracts from the enjoyment as a lot of people get so tanked that they become a distraction and sometimes even a problem. (I was challenged by some drunk becasue of the school sweatshirt I had on...sorta kills the mood.) In general I love the DSO and would not ever dis a performance. As a dead tour veteran I try to never compare the two bands. I am just thrilled that there is a band out there that can play the dead's tunes in the same style. Some of these songs are best heard live and the DSO makes it happen for me and for that I am grateful as can be. I loved the show, the energy and the whole scene, (minus the drunks).

Peace!

having been into the grateful dead my entire adult life.... seeing 150 "real" dead shows over twenty years, and owning and listening to no other music than the grateful dead, jgb, and dso....... first of fucking all ..............I know who the greatful dead are.....

If you want to expand your horizons...and you may be content with Dead only music..but I found that quote fascinating to say the least.here are some suggestions..this is not meant to be sarcastic or negative..

John Coltraine

Chuck Berry

Hank Williams

Sinatra

Miles Davis

Elvis Presley

The Beatles

Miles Davis

The Rolling Stones

Gram Parsons...

The Ramones..

Bob Dylan

The Kinks

Elvis Costello

The Beach Boys

The Band

Patsy Cline

The Allman Brothers Band

and of course Muddy Waters ;)

• Forum MVP
Wow,

I have to say that while this was a strong show there were some weak points that, from my perspective, detracted from the show. Strange man was as shriek fest and who do you love was a weak cover at best. Weather report prelude was out of place and really brought the energy level down a notch or two as did Roads. The Alligator was mind blowing as was sittin on top of the world. In general the show was a solid good time and the energy was good. I must admit that the shows where alcohol is served detracts from the enjoyment as a lot of people get so tanked that they become a distraction and sometimes even a problem. (I was challenged by some drunk becasue of the school sweatshirt I had on...sorta kills the mood.) In general I love the DSO and would not ever dis a performance. As a dead tour veteran I try to never compare the two bands. I am just thrilled that there is a band out there that can play the dead's tunes in the same style. Some of these songs are best heard live and the DSO makes it happen for me and for that I am grateful as can be. I loved the show, the energy and the whole scene, (minus the drunks).

Peace!

Wow, I thought Strangeman was one of the major highlights of the show. As for the drunks, well, you get them everywhere, they were more mellow than the Jersey variety.

There is a portion of people, usually in the front row, that are stricly there for the music and DSO has made a conscious effort to play more theaters and less bars.

Guest captain420
All Right!!! Yes, what a SHOW! Kick ass from start to finish. It's DSO's birthday, but WE GOT THE GIFTS! Thanks for those 1st time played gems and what seems to be a nice little drop back into the older material. Silver Threads, Sittin on Top, Alli-fuckin-gator, Who Do You Love, WOW! All fun and great times with great people down in front. See you in Geneva!

My 2 cents for the Sugar Mag... yes indeed incredibly hot, but the REAL Dead was a personal issue. There were PLENTY of times where you could say, "Holy Shit, that was the Hottest....ever played!" It was all up to you. Your night, your buzz, your space. Listen to some old interviews when Jerry and /or Bob would say..."We were awful", but YOU had a great time. I could list highlight moments from now until the keys on this computer melt, and someone out there will disagree or get it. DSO is getting better and that's what counts. Get out there and dance yer ass off!

I think Vince here nailed it....it's all about what's up with you at the time.

Have a good time, isn't that what it's all about, right? ;)

• Forum MVP
If you want to expand your horizons...and you may be content with Dead only music..but I found that quote fascinating to say the least.here are some suggestions..this is not meant to be sarcastic or negative..

John Coltraine

Chuck Berry

Hank Williams

Sinatra

Miles Davis

Elvis Presley

The Beatles

Miles Davis

The Rolling Stones

Gram Parsons...

The Ramones..

Bob Dylan

The Kinks

Elvis Costello

The Beach Boys

The Band

Patsy Cline

The Allman Brothers Band

and of course Muddy Waters ;)

:) thank you, none taken ........literal meaning of the word "listening"...... i think the gist of my post would have been side tracked, had i explained that i have a listening room , simailar to the old maxell add....(but with two chairs that really don't get much use)....that i spent alot of time working out in or just dancing........ i do in fact love wfuv (fordam u, ny.... wfuv.org) in the car or at work ..... and have heard of everyone on your list, but as far as my own music collection i'm really happy....steve

Archived