1st DanK Show Test Vine

Guest captain420

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest captain420

Matt, you are right...but I talked to her and we worked it out...it is on the way to her as we speak.

Who says that someone else might not have problems with these machines??

I knew there would be some stops along the way, this is new technology for some people and we must show them our patience.... :) Thank you all for understanding~

01. 4evergr8ful

02. Fritz

03. Stein&aaron

04. nastero

05. Fennario

06. lookyloo

07. kdubfan

08. mind of a squirrel

09. GratefulFred

10. ChuckVegas

11. nantucket

12. drpinky

13. Dew cati

14. Teacher Matt

To Matt and all:

Again I apologize for the hold up. They will be on their way tomorrow. My computer has not been hooked up, which is what caused the hold up. Again, I assure everyone that from this point on I will not have them long. Had I known everyone would be so upset about it, I would have excused myself from the top. Maybe I should have anyway. All I can do is say sorry. BTW, I have just had them 1 day for the 2nd time. I believe Mason meant for this to be a learning experience and it is. Thanks Mason for your patience and understanding.

Guest captain420
I believe Mason meant for this to be a learning experience and it is. Thanks Mason for your patience and understanding.

You got it...Test Vine sums it up...

Dealing with many B&P's and trades through the years, you learn one thing when it comes to this kind of stuff.

Patience!

O.K. The discs will be sent tomorrow to fritz. The ball is now rolling. Let's please keep the conversation open with this because I am still having the same problem. Let me explain it and together we will figure it out. I had originally sent the discs back to captain420 because when I pulled the files up, they appeared to me to be mp3s. Due to computer/phone problems, we decided I would send them back and he would check them out. He did, and he sent them back and said they were flac, should be no problem. So, today, I had an "expert" friend to help me, and he verified they are mp3s. I was able to burn them straight to disc. He pointed out the file size, but as I am new to this and had no clue what he was talking about, I dont remember what he said about it. Anyway, I have burned them, therefore, really I got what I need out of them. (I haven't learned flac, which is the point, but I have a new show!) Anyway, what I have come up with, is I am going ahead and sending them to Fritz. Fritz, don't know if you're new to this like me, but check them out and like I said, together we'll figure it out. I am certainly not saying Captain420 has done anything wrong, he has only helped. But, due to everyone getting ansy, I want to send them out. I don't want to be the reason for holding it up. So, they are on their way, Fritz, let me know what's up. Thanks for all your patience, and a special thanks to Mason! He's awesome for starting this and being patient! Happy New year all!

Adrianne

Guest captain420

I really don't know what to say....I had no problem decoding those to .wav in flacfrontend (which won't let you decode anything not FLAC or Ogg-FLAC)...and they verified...file sizes seemed fine if what I remember.

Maybe Fritz can help shed some light?

If I goofed, oh well... I can redo them, I'm only human... B) We make mistakes....

Bear with me on my terminology here: I downloaded the flac converter. Which my friend assured me was the right one. When I went to put the files in there and decode, it said only flac files can be decoded. My friend said they were mp3s, that I could just rip and burn them, and I did and it worked. For that I use Media player, that's what I always use. It is absolutely possible that I am just royally screwing this up! I want everyone to know that. But as Mason said, All good things..... We'll figure it out.

Bear with me on my terminology here: I downloaded the flac converter. Which my friend assured me was the right one. When I went to put the files in there and decode, it said only flac files can be decoded. My friend said they were mp3s, that I could just rip and burn them, and I did and it worked. For that I use Media player, that's what I always use. It is absolutely possible that I am just royally screwing this up! I want everyone to know that. But as Mason said, All good things..... We'll figure it out.

4evrgr8ful.....nope, problem wasn't you! Received the discs this afternoon and put them in drive, all looked good. Dragged files into flac converter and tried to decode files and got the following message:

Error:can't open output file E:\dso2005-10-23disc1\dso2005-10-23d1t01.wav

Looks to me like they are wav or mp3 files on the disc, but I am unable to drag files directy to my burner and burn them either???

Anyone that can help out feel free to send me a PM to get to the bottom of it....until then...I'll keep playing

Guest captain420

Ok, I guess the FLAC converter for EAC didn't work for me, instead of FLAC they went to .wav format....

Sorry for the confusion....oops.

Let's just put this to the side and will get it rolling after Eaton gets his vine going.... ;)

Guest mind of a squirrel

Sounds to me that if they are already in .wav, then just burn 'em up. Flac + decoding = .wav

Are we trying to use the flac converter to decode something that is already decoded?

Well, I guess if anything- it gives legs to Rob Eaton's theory that the best way to do this for everyone is the old-fashioned way...

Even though it kinda sucks, glad to know I'm not just an idiot! To burn them, I just opened the folder from "my computer", then it said on the right, write these files to CD. So I didn't rip and burn them in the same way I usually would either. Captain420, why are you giving up on us!? Like you told me, this is a learning experience, so you are learning too! I don't blame you for wanting to give up and just wait for Rob, but, I think we'd all still like to try it. But, it's your decision, so no hard feelings if you don't want to. Fritz, are you going ahead and passing them on? I don't think anyone cares how they get/do it.

Guest captain420

4evergr8ful,

It is embarrassing to me...

now everyone is gonna/already saying audio discs are the best way.....but not by a long shot, they don't know what they are talking about.

I made a mistake, a boo-boo, but that is not wrong.

Chip, I don't agree with you.

The 'old fashioned way' is not the best way...but you have your opinion. But your wrong, (I would re-read that thread if I were you...you will see, hopefully!) If those audio discs get scratched then you are fucked, worse then we are now. :D

I fucked up, so that doesn't give "The New Way" much credence. But again, I'm human. We all fuck up.

If they are in .wav then just pass 'em on....or someone can take the .wav's and encode them to FLAC and send it to the next person. Do whatever.

My apologies to all the folks that wanted the FLAC files of this show...I'm just jaded with this....so all those that are pissed can spill their guts to me-take your shot.

:lol:

Guest mind of a squirrel
Chip, I don't agree with you.

The 'old fashioned way' is not the best way...but you have your opinion. But your wrong, (I would re-read that thread if I were you...you will see, hopefully!) If those audio discs get scratched then you are fucked, worse then we are now. :D

I fucked up, so that doesn't give "The New Way" much credence. But again, I'm human. We all fuck up.

Naw Mason- not trying to stir things up. Just sayin' As was mentioned before, many folks on here don't know '.shn from shinola'. I think it was Chuck that said that... :D

Don't be embarrassed either... I can't even count the number of times I've done stupid junk like burning Set I twice. Dunno what happened, but it's no big deal.

I use Flac Frontend. I don't know if anyone in the chain was using that, but it would be pretty simple to just

re-encode the files and send it back out, if that's really what we're dreaming of here. But- I'm guessing most people on the list only care about having something to listen to?

Peace

-Chip

I really can't see why FLAC is better than an audio CD. The only advantage I see is the amount of space required to store/transfer them. You will never convince me that compressing a file will improve the quality. Nor do I believe that copying audio discs will degrade quality. Why would you be anymore screwed if an audio disc is damaged than you would with a data disc?

Truthfully, I am not saying FLAC is bad - neither are audio discs. It is all a matter of what format you are comfortable working with. Is there a reason a vine can't have a branch for each.

Shit - I'm late for work!

Guest mind of a squirrel
I really can't see why FLAC is better than an audio CD. The only advantage I see is the amount of space required to store/transfer them. You will never convince me that compressing a file will improve the quality. Nor do I believe that copying audio discs will degrade quality. Why would you be anymore screwed if an audio disc is damaged than you would with a data disc?

Truthfully, I am not saying FLAC is bad - neither are audio discs. It is all a matter of what format you are comfortable working with. Is there a reason a vine can't have a branch for each.

Shit - I'm late for work!

I'm pretty sure Ron is right on this. I rub elbows with plenty of disc-swappers and file-traders, and never have I heard of any issues of generation loss in the digital realm. If a file is damaged, it simply won't check out- and you'd be back to square one. Of course, it is possible to change the compression of a file to make it even smaller. That is when you begin running in to trouble- but that doesn't just happen. You have to make it happen. The beauty of a digital copy is it's an exact copy. Whether you're loading up a DVD with 5 shows in Flac, or copying a disc already burned as audio. A far cry from ye olde 'high-speed dubbing' in the land of the Maxell XLII.

Absolutely agree- a damaged disc is a damaged disc. One good reason I archive my Flac and .shn files.

To sweeten the pot for those of us comfortable with file sharing, we could be swapping 4-5 shows at a time with Flac on DVD. Unfortunately, not everyone has a drive that reads a DVD.

Anyhow- no expert whatsoever, but this is how I've always understood things.

Guest captain420

You scratch an audio disc, it skips, plus when you try to EAC it, it is not coming out 100%.

Data discs can take much more abuse...files are 100%

Guest captain420

Okay guys,

I will re-do the FLAC discs and send them out....

If you want FLAC post on here saying FLAC,

If you want the WAV files currently being spread out, then post WAV....

2 vines, you get what format you want~those who want to learn can learn...

01. 4evergr8ful

02. Fritz

03. Stein&aaron

04. nastero

05. Fennario

06. lookyloo

07. kdubfan

08. mind of a squirrel

09. GratefulFred

10. ChuckVegas

11. nantucket

12. drpinky

13. Dew cati

14. Teacher Matt

15. Emily

Guest captain420
regarding the above , I am not sure how they differ , whichever I can import to my itunes and burn a disc from is cool with me..thank you again.....

Either will get you there...So many roads!

If you want to check out FLAC, try it...if not, wav's will be the easiest for you. :)

Captain420: Don't be embarrassed! You are going out of your way for us, so I think I can speak for at least most of us and say that it's totally fine! I definately still want to learn flac. Then maybe I'll have an opinion on the differences and pros and cons of all formats. I will say in defense of flac, I have heard from several others that this is definately the way to go. But, ultimately, yes, I just want some new music to listen to! So I'm happy either way. But put me on the flac list, we will do this!

Archived