Jack Straw

Row Jimmy

Music Never Stopped

(I think that is the order)

Bertha

Good Lovin

Ship of Fools

Sampson

Terrapin ( Honest to God Lady with a Fan dancin on the side of the stage, BEAUTIFUL)

Terrapin Drums

The Other One

Space ( Close Encounter Space)

Moutain Girl Poem ( Honest to God it was MG on the stage, IMAGINE THAT)

The Other One

St. Stephen

Not Fade Away

Round and Round

US Blues ( Honest to God, Uncle Sam and 2 skeltons dancin on stage)

Filler: a previously unreleased film of the dead 8-27-1972, Birdsong ( Arm is right it is the meaning of life), and Sing Me Back Home

Special effects: There was a film show on three large screens behind the band. It was a combination of old movie scenes, nature scenes, psychedelic oozy drippy spacey shit, distorted shots of the band. During Close Encounter Space Kevin and Rob start starring at the screens. AMAZED Scenes from Close Encounters. Besides Uncle Sam and the 2 skeletons the encore had people throughout the audience waving flags, flying kites and fish and large ballons.

We met so many people this weekend it is going to hold a special place in my soul for ever. Thanks, Steve, Tiff, Vince, Sue, Tourne, David, Chuck, Lisa, Blythe, Ellen, Tye, Kelly for making this like a family. I love everyone that we met and am so very honored to have met Mountain Girl, Dennis McNally, Healy, David Gans and Bill Walton. Oh Yea and Sandy Sohcot the Executive Director of the Rex Foundation. I hope they do this again because as Bill Walton said, "I went to 650 shows and it wasn't enough."

Oh Yeah the show was Eugene Oregon Jan. 1978

Namaste, Kris and Steve, See ya all in Penns Peak

Guest captain420

Thanks for the list, and the great write up!

Sounded like a good time with the TRIP screens and all...thought they would have played the chain there...

Speaking of Bill Walton...I saw what I found out to be his son, playing basketball on TV with Skeleton tattoos on his arm...like father like son..NFA

Very, very nice..........

certainly no shortage of surprises here , absolutely fantastic show from beginning to end...was great meeting many new people , as well as a great experience to share with my son , I must say I never thought I would see these days again ..Thank you DSO , very refreshing to have this live music back in our life to share with the next generation ....looking forward to the upcoming shows! p.s Steve very nice meeting you and your wife ,..Blyth keep dancing and Chuck nice putting a name to face , be well

• Forum MVP

if this was eugene 78 then there was a HUGE close encounters jam into St Stephen. The actual show has one of the most kick ass transitions from the a full on close encounters jam into the Stephen. The beginning of the Stephan is the biggest rush due to Garcia SLAMMING the Stephen chords like nothing you've ever heard...A VERY special show.

• Forum MVP

Yes, this was 1.22.78 Eugene,or.!! and a great great show it was! Certainly with the special occassion they were playing everything just right and to the Tee..!! soo much fun hangin with everybody throughout!! John K didnt quite do the exact Close Encounter space/jam but it did flow and lead right into an awesome awesome Stephen!! Around was the peak and finished off the show with extreme energy! Fun night with JerseySteve, Tiff, Steve&Kris! (it's Torin by the way Kris haha its ok, happens all the time :D:PB)

See ya'll in Albany!!!!! :cheers::icon14: :539: :dsorocks::hug2::shakehandhug::friends:

• Forum MVP
Yes, this was 1.22.78 Eugene,or.!! and a great great show it was! Certainly with the special occassion they were playing everything just right and to the Tee..!! soo much fun hangin with everybody throughout!! John K didnt quite do the exact Close Encounter space/jam but it did flow and lead right into an awesome awesome Stephen!! Around was the peak and finished off the show with extreme energy! Fun night with JerseySteve, Tiff, Steve&Kris! (it's Torin by the way Kris haha its ok, happens all the time :D:PB)

See ya'll in Albany!!!!! :cheers::icon14: :539: :dsorocks::hug2::shakehandhug::friends:

see u in penns peak ,the ride to albany is kind of far but we just made it back from umass in under 4 hours ,maybe its not that bad.-peace-steve

Had to laugh out loud through out ARound and Around with Debbie Reynold s (and Gene Kelley) doing the "can can" on the center screen. Fred Astaire danced with us in the first set. (I sat through those old movies the

last year of my mother's life when she was mostly in bed).

Had I the chance to relive this show, I would take notes on the visuals coming from the screen as

a back drop to the individual songs. Loved the images of Buddha early in the first set and footage of dancing tribal people from what appeared to be far and removed and primitive cultures - dozens of natives' arms strecthed forward with index finger pointed, bouncing their arms in synchronization. I joined them and consider it a new dance step for future shows.

We met so many people this weekend it is going to hold a special place in my soul for ever. Thanks, Steve, Tiff, Vince, Sue, Tourne, David, Chuck, Lisa, Blythe, Ellen, Tye, Kelly for making this like a family.

How sweet :D It is truly like a family and I am so happy to be part of it! Its amazing to think that this one little band (or not so little depending on who you are speaking to!) has brought so much to our lives. Yes, we would never ever be here if it weren't for the Grateful Dead, but from my perspective, I probably would have not gotten as deep into the Dead if it weren't for DSO. And I most certainly wouldn't find myself driving through the back roads of Vermont with a Vegas-gone southern born attorney, chasing trains across CT with some city gal ;) , or being able to find peace of mind in just a few little notes. Its a wonderful thing and I'm so happy to be here:)

By the way, this show was incredible!!!! But then again, this whole tour has been incredible so far. Just can't get enough!

xoxo,

Lisa

• Forum MVP

Who stuck around for the vid of the birdsong and sing me from 8/27? I was wondering what the vid of the sing me looked like. That vid has been hard to come by for that song because the pranksters did not think of having lights for that show--they probably weren't thinking the dead would lay down their best show ever! and therefore the Sing Me must pretty much be in darkness because the D star is that way, which actually works perfectly for that terrifying rendition. Was it completely black for the Sing Me? Could you see Garcia's expressions during the vocal---for anyone who stuck around?

Thx...

• Forum MVP
Who stuck around for the vid of the birdsong and sing me from 8/27? I was wondering what the vid of the sing me looked like. That vid has been hard to come by for that song because the pranksters did not think of having lights for that show--they probably weren't thinking the dead would lay down their best show ever! and therefore the Sing Me must pretty much be in darkness because the D star is that way, which actually works perfectly for that terrifying rendition. Was that the case? Could you see Garcia's expressions during the vocal on the Sing me for anyone who stuck around?

Thx...

Yes ,the camara was mostly at the foot of the stage ,true it was darker,donna was standing to jerrys right facing the stage during sing me back home, that stratocaster jerry was playing had such a sweet sound to it .It seem like there were more people there also during that song.Maybe people were swimming during the day? the camara caught mostly or alot of jerry ,bob, & phil doing the la,la,las during bird song. alot of jerry just playing which seemed so smoooth and alot of string bending ever soo easily done. billy wearing that train engineers hat drippping with sweat.

• Forum MVP

it was about sunset during the Sing Me Back Home..

you could still see Garcia's expressions and the whole band...great shots of Donna for her vocal solos!

just an amazing video and an incredible show all together..definitely one the finest perfomances of all time...

• Forum MVP

Thanks guys for that info. The idea of finally seeing that Sing Me is an exciting one to say the least. I've definitely bugged Zane Kesey about it over the years.

I'll never forget watching the vid of that D Star for the first time and actually SEEING how Garcia was able to do the Tiger jam (that meltdown riff) with my own eyes! The camera actually is in a close up of Garcia's hands during that jam!--something that never happens.

That's one of the reasons why the synching of great sdbs with the tripod shot fan videos is so wonderful. Heads keep the camera on the action and so now we can get great vid AND great aud. It feels so much more real. How annoying it is that the guy editing the 12/31/78 official release decides to move off of Phil right before he ERUPTs into the start of the other one? (My favorite Other One intro.) Or going off of Garcia to show a dancing girl at the precise moment he is about to tear open a Estimated solo?

Guest mistersnoid

a pleasure!

more clicky:

Terrapin

Ship of Fools

MG's poem "A Mass for UMass"

The Music Never Stopped

St Stephen

Space / If I Had My Way

That's It For The Other One

unfortunately, the volume overwhelmed my little cam, but the visuals are nice...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Bostnfn

For the person that was interested in the video going on during songs, I specifically remember 3

1) clips of close encounters during the close encounters jam

2) pictures of lions during New Minglewood

3) Pictures of Kesey's bus, furthur, and the merry pranksters during The Other One

anyone else remember what was up on screen?

• 3 years later...
  • Forum MVP

New Minglewood

Dire wolf

Cassidy

Peggy-O

El Paso

Tennesse

Jack Straw

Row Jimmy

Music Never Stopped

(I think that is the order)

Bertha

Good Lovin

Ship of Fools

Sampson

Terrapin ( Honest to God Lady with a Fan dancin on the side of the stage, BEAUTIFUL)

Terrapin Drums

The Other One

Space ( Close Encounter Space)

Moutain Girl Poem ( Honest to God it was MG on the stage, IMAGINE THAT)

The Other One

St. Stephen

Not Fade Away

Round and Round

US Blues ( Honest to God, Uncle Sam and 2 skeltons dancin on stage)

Filler: a previously unreleased film of the dead 8-27-1972, Birdsong ( Arm is right it is the meaning of life), and Sing Me Back Home

Special effects: There was a film show on three large screens behind the band. It was a combination of old movie scenes, nature scenes, psychedelic oozy drippy spacey shit, distorted shots of the band. During Close Encounter Space Kevin and Rob start starring at the screens. AMAZED Scenes from Close Encounters. Besides Uncle Sam and the 2 skeletons the encore had people throughout the audience waving flags, flying kites and fish and large ballons.

We met so many people this weekend it is going to hold a special place in my soul for ever. Thanks, Steve, Tiff, Vince, Sue, Tourne, David, Chuck, Lisa, Blythe, Ellen, Tye, Kelly for making this like a family. I love everyone that we met and am so very honored to have met Mountain Girl, Dennis McNally, Healy, David Gans and Bill Walton. Oh Yea and Sandy Sohcot the Executive Director of the Rex Foundation. I hope they do this again because as Bill Walton said, "I went to 650 shows and it wasn't enough."

Oh Yeah the show was Eugene Oregon Jan. 1978

Namaste, Kris and Steve, See ya all in Penns Peak

yes kids ,sing me back home was played

Archived