Original Setlists vs. Recreated Setlists

Dr. Barry

Original vs. Recreated Setlist Poll  

82 members have voted

1. 1.

• Original (Elective if you are Herdy) setlist
    • Recreated setlist

• Advisory Board
Still my favorite dso show the warlock show from 1989 at the nokia theatre in 2006. then i find out the guy who got engaged on stage is my best friends cousin. I am sitting there telling a story about this sick band and that some new yorker got engaged on stage and my buddy and his wife are like thats are cousin...it was pretty cool.

What a great show! And Fireman Billy and Paula are two great people... I can't wait to see both of them in November...

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest crazy digits

.....if you attended last Thursday' show, you realize or I realized, it doesn't matter....they did an elective with Bobby...it moves you regardless....and you never really know what is next?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest MG, the Wiz

ORIGINAL ALL THE WAY. For lots of reasons. This has been my litany for at least 7 years now. Here are a few reasons.

One: it's more spontaneous.

Two: the bandmembers own personalities seem to shine more.

Three: Cam sometimes gets really creative with the knob turning.

P.S. I know I'm weighing in on a really old thread, but, oh well....

• 1 month later...
  • 6 years later...
  • Forum MVP

Since this discussion has seemed to surface again I'm bumping it up for the new people here. Cast your vote please. This debate has been going on for years, and prolly will for many more to come.. As you can see it was pretty close in 06'. Sad to see how many folks have left since then. New ones coming as the old ones go I suppose.

The more things change, the more they remain the same. Herdy still can't stand Esau.

• Forum MVP

After going back and looking this thread over, cue the strings and Streisand singing "The Way We Were."

One thing for sure - my position has evolved to heavily favor originals. In fact, I heartily endorse more TN shows. It has been way too long...

• Forum MVP

I think there was a subsequent poll with a variation of an "I'm just happy to get what they play" option. But I could easily be wrong. And I'm still an unabashed originals head, all things being equal.

My vote was for a recreated setlist.  I started seeing the Dead in 79, so there is a lot I missed like the entire Keith & Donna years and so it is fun to hear a show from that era that I missed.  For all the recreations that i have seen they have been contained between 70 -76,

What I like most about the electives (and i usually can tell about 3 or 4 songs in) is that you don't know what's coming and the JGB songs they wind in.

• Forum MVP

I like when they do a themed original. The pre-70 show at jubille was one of best shows I've seen. Also saw a show in Indy that was supposed to be a rec but because of an equipment issue turned into a 72 themed original. History of a rec vs. unpredictability of original? Dont make me choose

I enjoy both but really have to give a lean towards originals. The originals are unpredictable and I have a better likelihood of hearing songs I haven't heard live before. I also enjoy a nice laugh when I see someone unfamiliar with DSO trying to figure out what set list they are playing on their phone. Baffles me why someone would want to know exactly what is coming next. Straining ones ears during a transition to try and figure out what song is next is a lot of fun. Your ears linger upon every note as you go through all the songs you think it might be.

• Forum MVP

Last nights at set Boston during set break, someone was frantically trying to find the setlist on dead bade and I said don't even bother. Long story short, the guy proceeded to tell me that I had no idea what I was talking about and that DSO always recreates a show. Wanted to make a bet with the man but that would have just been mean. One should be able to tell from equipment set up alone what kind of show they are in for.

Have to say the elective set 6/1/13 at Hampton Beach (Kevin's Final & his fav's) (?) was one  for the "Deadicated"

I thought it was a sweet treat - maybe never to be heard again (almost exactly perfect) - the way (maybe) things are supposed to be in DeaD LanD

So Glad We Made It

• Forum MVP

I feel recreations got them to where they are today, and should always be a part of DSO but I personally feel its the electives that keep em going. Fresh vibes w fresh setlists!

My first 3 shows were all electives which is what GOT ME, but, at the same time, bc they were electives and I "hated" the grateful dead at the time, after seeing DSO the 1st time I went and downloaded albums and just could NOT get into the Dead bc i wasn't "shown the light" w a recreation to TEACH me that I should go download THAT show and learn from there. Took the Egg for me to get that we listen to shows, not albums. Hehe.

From a 1987 Garcia interview I recently read:

Have you ever checked out any of the Grateful Dead clone bands?

Yeah, but I don't think that's where it's at, exactly. Really, it's people who have to invent their own version of what the Grateful Dead is, starting now. Not doing what we've done, but digging the way we've done it, and doing what they're going to do—continuing this notion. But somebody else has to see that—it isn't going to work just by following our footsteps. It's gonna work by taking off perpendicular to every direction we've gone off in.

There are probably people out there doing it. Doing their version of it, and it's certainly heartening when you get good musicians who seem concerned about their audiences, and who really love to play. The more of that you see, the better it makes me feel about the future of music. And the future of adventure in America, or whatever it is that Deadheads represent at their best. All that stuff.

Garcia seems encouraging of the notion of original set lists and in addition some of the jam oriented bands who've lent to the musical ideas put forth by the dead. Recreations are still great in the sense that you get to hear shows performed live that you were formerly stuck listening to the recordings. However good the recording may be, it doesn't, at lest in my opinion, take you to that next level that experiencing the music live does. Balance is good. Exploring musical ideas is good. My thoughts on this remain the same. Figured I'd just share that piece of that interview.

• Forum MVP

be happy that we got what we got (and its pretty fucking good).   At times its better than anything else I have heard, other times its just musical fun and glory.   Original vs GD.....just academic stuff we heads like to discuss.    In reality, if you have any sense of love for this music, like so many have, it does not matter what they play, what order, what era.......its nectar to the ears, soul, body!!!   Go ahead and argue that with me.......you'd be floating ship of fools to start----but nothing like the blind talking to the blind:}!!!

I am thankful for the recreations, as one of them in my short DSO run has brought signifcant reunions in the strangest of ways.   Thankful I am, and grateful for that experience, I am even more thankful that DSO can play it like the Dead.  I close my eyes, dance, and I am back.   During the show, I am  to caught up in the experience to even consider these academic pass times.  No point---just ramble---I just know I like it when I see Lisa out there---rather---hear:}!!!! 

Keep us guessing DSO:}!!!!!!!!!   The mystery is part of the magic!!!!!!!!! 

• 3 weeks later...

I used to be anti-original setlist, not that I'd walk out or anything, but I strongly preferred actual dead recreations.  I loved being thrust back to a specific era, and of course, trying to figure out the show as it happend (still do!).  I didn't like the juxtaposition of songs that "didn't belong" together.  Take my very first original setlist show 7/31/00 Quixote's, Aurora, CO: Victim > Sing Me Back Home in the first set. And the 2nd set opened with Bird Song, Estimated > Visions of Johanna, Corrina > SOTM.  Shows like this didn't have the liturgy (thanks, Richard, for teaching me that perfect word) I wanted at the time for it to be the "proper" deadhead experience.  I still enjoyed myself immensely, but I guess I didn't understand these strange combinations. 

Fast forward a few years, and I found myself on the fence.  I became accustomed to things like 8/31/02 (the SBD of which is on the archive and you should go DL it now (well ok, as soon as you're done reading my extremely well-written piece of literature here, ha!): in the 2nd set it was

Shakedown >

Dancin

So Many Roads

Playin >

Drumz >

Dark Star >

Miracle >

China >

Rider

About 45 minutes w/out vocals there, by the way, from Playin until Dark Star with guests Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey.  Anywho, I finally started to "get" these original setlists.  And somewhere along the line I thought, and suggested to a few folks, that original setlists in the style of a certain era would be THE way to go.  It's over-simplifying it, but it's the best of both worlds.  These relatively new addtions to the repertoire are my favs, like the 2013 Jubilee closer (69-70ish type show).  Wowzaa!

And nowadays I actually crave those strange combos (go fig).  How about a Dark Star > Passenger > Slipknot > Passenger > Franklin's sometime?  Or an Other One > Eternity?  Maybe a Alligator > Rider > Alligator > Wharf Rat > JBGoode?  Oh I could go on and on... :)  How bout a setlist contest?  We all suggest entire sets, the band picks two out of our hundreds of submissions (a 1st set and a 2nd set), and they play it.  We'll let them choose the encores.  :dsorocks:

Archived