Original Setlists vs. Recreated Setlists

Dr. Barry

Original vs. Recreated Setlist Poll  

82 members have voted

1. 1.

• Original (Elective if you are Herdy) setlist
    • Recreated setlist

• Advisory Board

OK. The ugly subject has been resurrected AGAIN! Please vote your preference, but briefly let us know WHY you feel the way you do...

The scenario is you are about to see DSO tonite, what do you wish to hear?

Dr. B :lol:

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Advisory Board

I myself prefer original. That is because I really like hearing things that never were possible when the Dead were actually around. I'm talking about; song pairings, songs associated with a particular set being played in a different set, songs that none of us ever heard live before being played (Viola Lee Blues!!), Donna songs being played to the utmost by Lisa, and (drumroll please.......)

The idea that I really have no clue what is coming next at the show. All bets are off and I get to hear the band ("our band") play whatever they want us to hear!!

Just my opinion. Trust me I love recreated shows too. DSO is the band, whatever they play is music to my ears...

Dr. B

Guest angelina

Dr. Barry,

You forgot to include "BOTH!" as an option. :shock:

I like surprises myself and since I haven't enough memory cells to record the deadbase and still remember my name, :oops: ...every show is a surprise for me!

I Love hearing DSO play, so as long as it's groovin', and I'm dancin'... 050.gif I'm happy!

smiles,

susan angelina

• Forum MVP

Lately, as they have been playing more of them for several reasons, I have grown more fond of the originals. That is primarily for the thrill of not knowing what is next, as the good Doc stated above. With that said, it is still a very close call, and on any given night I could still hope and pray with all my heart for a good '77, '78, '83, etc. Probably not so much a '93 :wink: ...

It is a very close call, but the originals by a nose. For now...

Peace, y'all -- chuck

• Advisory Board

"Original (Elective if you are Herdy) setlist"

Oh how I love being the butt of the joke....... but you know what my grandfather always said... better to be an asshole, then a whole ass... :D He also said, wish in one hand and shit in the other, then see which one weighs more...

• Advisory Board
"Original (Elective if you are Herdy) setlist"

Oh how I love being the butt of the joke....... but you know what my grandfather always said... better to be an asshole, then a whole ass... :D He also said, wish in one hand and shit in the other, then see which one weighs more...

What about just being the butt?

B :shock:

Guest primaljoe

In my opinion an original set list leaves more room for musical exploration. We would never know where and how some tunes would venture if it weren't for this exploration. In all honesty however, who would not love to hear a 5/9/77 or any other epic show.

To sum up:

I'll take whatever they decide to play and enjoy every second of it. Why? Because it is just plain great music :D

• Advisory Board

In a moment of inspiration I just got "IT". Hearing a Gomorrah next to a Liberty, or a Viola Lee next to almost anything is like the reuniting of siblings that were seperated at birth!!

Now who out there isn't in favor of reuniting siblings seperated at birth?

Dr. B :?:

I know I'm in the minority here, but I usually like the recreated show's the best. Although, the 2nd night in Raleigh a couple of week's ago was outfrigginstanding!!!! The one a couple of night's ago at the House of Blues in Fla. looks awful good too. It's all about song selection to me and it seem's that I get more bang for my buck from a recreated show than I do from an original. HOWEVER, it sure is nice to get a Viola Lee Blues and the only way ya get one of those is from an original. I'm still gonna vote for a recreated show.

Being a youngin and all, Im gonna have to say...it's all gold! And the only thing I hope for each time is ENERGY and conviction. I used to favor the original shows for all the above reasons and also they somehow felt more special. But I can say most of my more memorable moments have come from recreated shows. That probably has much more to do with the gravity of the moment than the set list. I'll take one set packed with emotion from 93 versus an uninspired show with all my favorites.

Hey all 1st time I've posted on here, I read from time to time and was looking for some commentary on the stupendous Tallahassee show when I came upon this subject. As I'm relatively new to the Dead and DSO I think I can offer something of a unique take.

I've seen DSO 3 or 4 times - all in the last year - in addition to the shows this weekend in St. Pete and Tallahassee. Saturday's show was an original, and Sunday's was an old classic from I think '78. To me, as a newcomer, it is more desirable to hear the classic combinations at this point. But it is true that the originals bring something else to the table. Saturday night's show - to me - was out of this world; it was the best original set I'd heard from DSO and I can honestly say I never even dreamed I'd hear the bittersweet strains of Queen Jane played live. Ever. So that was worth the price of admission itself.

On the flip side - and I'm not especially sophisticated when it comes to evaluating musical skill and performance, so take this for what it's worth - Sunday night was simply the greatest thing I've ever heard. Part of it was the 78 setlist - Mexicali to Mama Tried, Music, and, believe it or not, my very first Scarlet>Fire (!) - but of course the musicians and the atmosphere played a role. As far as original vs. recreated setlists I think I can say I got the best of both worlds.

And one last word on Tallahassee: dark room, 500 or so people, and it really felt like something special. DSO took the audience over in a way I've never seen a band do before. You could see it, hear it and feel it, and what I felt was something I've never really gotten at a show before. But then again I've only seen DSO 5 times :D

Guest mont alto mike

I really like seeing a multi-night run....for example, Nelson Ledges, that has a mix of both herd-lective (like the new word?) and recreations. If I only had one show to see, I think that I would like an elective recreation :shock: like they did at the Higher Ground on Dec.30th. They played an original set followed by a show recreation. GREAT TIME!!!!!

musik05.gif

• Forum MVP

How Ironic this is!!!!!

I suppose all of us grasp the irony, but just in case, I will blurt it out.

Here's an excerpt from the "premise" for those who haven't already read it a hundred times...

------------------------------------

DSO is a different breed of "Dead" band. What Dark Star Orchestra does is recreate the Grateful Dead. Not with hippie wigs and fake beards but through the live music. They play the setlist song for song in the same arrangements used by the Dead members of that period. When you're at a DSO show you may really be in the Providence Civic Center back in May of '81. Or you could even be at the 1973 Denver Coliseum show listening to Weather Report Suite. Who knows? ... Actually no one does and that's part of the trip.

Also, refer to the chat at the end of the first DSO show in which Scott et al explain the "mission of this band is to play" - you can find that on the archive.

I voted "original" based on the Doc's scenario of "you are going tonight". Today I feel like a nut. Tomorrow I might prefer just mounds. Most days though I want an original set for the very reasons cited here - the genuine unknowing of what's next, as compared to the relative unknowing of what's next that you could know if you had a pocket deadbase or a youngster next to you reciting the setlist from a show they weren't yet incarnated for, which I had two Nellie's shows ago and was mildly surprised to find the extent to which it made the show less fun to be told what was coming.

So, isn't it ironic that we now find ourselves grooving to the original, or herd-lective, setlists. The many many "Dead Cover Bands" out there all do pretty much "original setlists" pretty much all the time, and many of them, as the premise says, are good bands.

So, at the end of the day I gotta tell ya - the DSO herd-lective setlists are cool, but their coolness is dependent, not just upon the awesome musicianship of DSO, but also on the existence of the possiblity of a recreation. It's the band's capability to recreate whole shows that allows the herd-lective sets to play with such conviction and authority.

:) so say I anyway

• Forum MVP

And let's give the original setlists their due respect...

I found this second set in just a few seconds of idle surfing.

Playin> Stronger Than Dirt (jam)> Cosmic Charlie> Samson> Spanish Jam> Drums> Wheel> Playin> Around, High Time, Sugar Magnolia E: U. S. Blues

That's one that I would be diggin, and I might even be fooled into thinking it was made up.

My vote is for recreated shows although I do love original shows as well.

I started to see the Dead in 1977; therefore, seeing a re-created early 70s show with 1 drummer is a real treat.

Also, my favorite era of the music is 76-78 so the re-creations are even more special.

I'd go for 3 nights of re-created shows and 1 original show.

More importantly, since I can't go to nearly enough shows, I'm begging any one out there with copies of the shows to trade or post on archive.org

DSO much be shared with all that love them.

Peace,

TJed

Well anyone that has read my posts knows my feelings on this and it has been discussed extensively on the old site as well.

I much prefer the Recreations although I like the originals more than I used to. For me the Recreated shows were simply more coherent and better musically.....also it has more of a thematic and theatric element to it related to the time table...70's, 80's, 90's....

It might be mere coinicidence that my least favorite shows were orignal set lists...but that' probably my bias coming out to be honest...

At any rate I think the polling data here would be inaccurate...if everyone who actually went to see DSO voted....Having said all that...

IT"S ALL GOOD!!!!.........But there is nothing like a 72 through 2/17/79 show...

To the extent they can do it and I know there are logistical issues....80's needs to be back in the mix IMHO....

A tough choice for me but, I finally gave my vote for recreation.

My favorite choices to listen to GD shows lean towards '73 to '84

but if I were left with the choice of which era I would like DSO to

recreate, I would choose for early 70's because of the mega setlists of

that era combined with DSO's bounce-in-step energy.

It was a tough choice because I have also experienced original

setlists that have put me on cloud9 for days.

I saw my one and only early 80s show performed back in December and not only was I blown away (once again) with DSOs talent, but had major flashbacks of ~my~ days at GD shows.

Guest waldo

For what it's worth I've only seen 3 DSO shows, all original setlists. They were all great. Obviously all Dead shows they play are great. What I love is to dance, meet people and SMILE!!!! To me, it's not what order that they play the songs, it's that they play the songs, thats whats important.

Archived