82 members have voted

1. 1.

• Original (Elective if you are Herdy) setlist
    • Recreated setlist

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest fireonshakedownstreet

Id rather here an original setlist than a 70s show. There is a better chance to hear Esau. The 80s shows are sorely lacking.

• Advisory Board
There is a better chance to hear Esau.

God how I loathe that song.... if I could do away with two songs, it'd be Esau and CC Rider...

Just my opinion though, I'm sure I'll catch hell from someone on this...

yeah, anddave, I saw and have a copy of 8-16-80, SIU, edwardsville, ill, (my 10th show) and it rained most of the show and the dead played under a tarp, I call it the Mud-bowl, all the cars later were in mud, and they played a slow CC rider...........good show............

• 2 weeks later...

Having seen so many DSO shows that its impossible to get the exact humber but I'm sure its 300+ I'm love reading people comment saying that was the best show DSO has done. I know I've said it many times over the years. That says alot about the quality of DSO shows.

I enjoy both mainly because I'm not a walking Deadbase freak like some of you. However I've said this many times before the orginial seem to pack more energy. As long as there is live Dead music orginial or recreated I'm there!

Thanks DSO & crew!!!! See ya tonight in Vail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D

And. love this band, since jerry, cc rider is gone.........I think everything will be alright, and we will all be okay, since dso is in town,,,,,,,,come on Val Air Ballroom,,, ioway...................sorry, i am old and have no money...........

Original or recreated - it doesn't matter as long as the STYLE is pre '79. But that's just me. I'd really like them to do some original '71-'74 style shows - Rob Baracca does some nice Pigpen songs.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest greendad

I must say I prefer the recreated setlist for the time travel element. I never got to see the dead in the 70's, (Just 78 shows 87-95), and getting "the chance" to witness a recreation is so thrilling. I will take what ever they play, original or recreated. I just like the premise better of "recreation".

Don't ever stop playing DSO. Thank you.

Greendad

OK, people, I VOTE for the recreated, and can say my first show was The show, and i do not care , if you saw them a million times, i saw them only 20, but am totally happy............thanks...............busted flat in jerry-land, waiting for a train..............somewhere near mars hotel, i took the Rider train..........

Guest Grateful

Original!

Does any one know if DSO has written any original songs?

I think it would be very interesting to hear something of their own.

Guest poopi

I just want the Band to do what inspires them: maybe they have a preference, maybe they like to mix it up. Whatever keeps them feeling fresh and toasty!

I can tell you that after Saturday's Minneap show, the set list was unbelievable; that hearing Viola Lee was a tasty fish on a hot skillet - awesome! I'm too inorant to know if the set was a recreation or an original...I think had to be original, but I'm inorant, as I say. A real pothead.

Hey, can someone spell out the deal with that Minneapolis show? What was the full list and was it a particular show after all?

I like the org sets. Gives the Band a chance to play what they want and what they like. First DSO show I saw was an Org. After the first few bars I said "The Music is still alive". Of all the shows I have seen, my favorite is a recreation though. Anyway whatever they play is fine with me. All the shows I have seen were grate, some were just better that the others.

See at the nest show.

Originals all the way! Giving them the opportunity to experiment it's only fair to their creative skills. Ok that's bullshit, I think they are great no matter what they do. If they play a great 92, 77, or 82 set or hearing Lisa sing something that was out of the 70's it's all good to me!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Guest Rob Eaton

every transition is new. There is nothing note for note or copied. I prefer the original (or as we call them Elective) because we don't use a set list and we have the freedom to string all sorts of songs together.........

Guest Michael French

Original setlist = no setlist at showtime!

How cool. How special. Every song is that night, that weather, that mood, that audience, that sticky floor, and we are witness!! We are part. We are all one. I am the manatee. Reminds me of another band I used to know.

Does song choice basically alternate between Rob and John with a few Kevin, keys, (and Lisa) choices? (ala a band I used to know) Or, do you have your own thang? I assume that the singer can veto.?. love the details.

Embarassed by my enthusiasm

5mph

• Forum MVP
every transition is new. There is nothing note for note or copied. I prefer the original (or as we call them Elective) because we don't use a set list and we have the freedom to string all sorts of songs together.........

thats cool. I think these sets really do a great job recreating the grateful dead experience in another way: the pure magic that only spontaneous live music improvisation can create. the original shows i've seen were very exciting and kept me wondering what you guys would bust into next.

Guest Mr. Charlie

I enjoy both. I'm just Grateful to be able to even have this conversation at this point.

One of the things I always appreciated about the Dead was their ability mix it up. When things became really formulaic in the 80's I stopped seeing them for the most part. I know that there was still a lot of good music to come but the improvisational aspect was not the same and the tunes were shorter as were the set lists.

So in a nutshell, I'll take any 70's or early 80's recreation or a kickin original set list with most of the tunes from that era. I just don't have much use for "when push comes to shove" and others like it. I do however like to hear a "Mr. Charlie" backed up to a "Passenger" in the same set.

"Bring it"

• 2 weeks later...
Guest masmasmas

Just like Mr. Charlie, I'm glad to just be having this conversation...Let's not all start gettin' greedy now...we are truly blessed that DSO is keeping the magic alive and bringin' it home all the way, all the time...what a gift!!! Hey DSO, play what you will...and thank you for really good times! :wink:

• 2 months later...
Guest st stephen

i prefer the recreated set list.

I guess the reason is i saw the dead in 94 for the first time and i was 15 years old. As time has gone on i have become a huge dead fan and a huge guitar player. Now when they recrreate a brent show or a show from 77 its just gives me chills up and down my body. I feel like the spirt of jerry, brent, keith and vince are all in attendence guiding the music.

I do like the orginal set lists but they dont give me that same feeling. Maybe it has to do with the fact that i have only been to two original set list shows and i was a lone for both of them, so maybe i was just not 100 % into what was going on.

Still my favorite dso show the warlock show from 1989 at the nokia theatre in 2006. then i find out the guy who got engaged on stage is my best friends cousin. I am sitting there telling a story about this sick band and that some new yorker got engaged on stage and my buddy and his wife are like thats are cousin...it was pretty cool.

Archived