Nokia Night One

smile_smile_smile

Set One: Sugar Magnolia> Loose Lucy; Cassidy>jam>Cassidy; Mr. Charlie; Here Comes Sunshine; The Music Never Stopped> Unbroken Chain> Sunshine Daydream

Set Two: Help on the Way > Slipknot! > Feel like a Stranger > Franklin's Tower; Alligator > Drums > Space > The Other One > Alligator > The Other One > Standing on the Moon > Turn On Your Lovelight

Encore: Werewolves of London (after mention of a full moon coming)

show was out of this world, DSO continues to take me to new levels of music, thank you DSO...

and it was extremely cool meeting all the folks from the board, so nice and friendly you all are(almost like we had something in common :D )

Set One: Sugar Magnolia> Loose Lucy; Cassidy>jam>Cassidy; Mr. Charlie; Here Comes Sunshine; The Music Never Stopped> Unbroken Chain> Sunshine Daydream

Set Two: Help on the Way > Slipknot! > Feel like a Stranger > Franklin's Tower; Alligator > Drums > Space > The Other One > Alligator > The Other One > Standing on the Moon > Turn On Your Lovelight

Encore: Werewolves of London (after mention of a full moon coming)

show was out of this world, DSO continues to take me to new levels of music, thank you DSO...

and it was extremely cool meeting all the folks from the board, so nice and friendly you all are(almost like we had something in common :D )

Wonderful show. Great to get an original setlist at the Nokia. This looked pretty likely with Lisa up there and the Sugar Mag opener, as the only dead show in the 70's which started with Sugar Magnolia was New Years Eve 1979.

Love the original setlists because of the surprises. Thought the first set was ending early when I heard Music only to be nicely surprised with Unbroken Chain and then a first set closing Sunshine Daydream. Waiting for Franklin after Slipknot they threw me a left hook in the form of a strong solid Stranger, only to come back with one of the best Franklins ever. They continued to mix it up with Alligator and a Lovelight with Lisa taking the lead before the Werewolves encore. It doesn't get much better.

Pinky

Guest Funk Schwei
Wonderful show. Great to get an original setlist at the Nokia. This looked pretty likely with Lisa up there and the Sugar Mag opener, as the only dead show in the 70's which started with Sugar Magnolia was New Years Eve 1979.

Love the original setlists because of the surprises. Thought the first set was ending early when I heard Music only to be nicely surprised with Unbroken Chain and then a first set closing Sunshine Daydream. Waiting for Franklin after Slipknot they threw me a left hook in the form of a strong solid Stranger, only to come back with one of the best Franklins ever. They continued to mix it up with Alligator and a Lovelight with Lisa taking the lead before the Werewolves encore. It doesn't get much better.

Pinky

Great, great night. Have to agree - the 'Stranger' was a curveball for me too, albeit a welcome one! Was Rob E. doing a Blue Sky tease in Franklin's, or was that just me??? Great crowd, great music, and I can't complain about the venue staff either. Very respectful from what I saw.

Note to all for Sat night - get there EARLY! The line to get in was rediculous. Got there in 'plenty of time' and walked in on the end of Cassidy. Bummer. Also, there are no tickets at the Box.. it is sold out. Miracles are hard to come by too (although I was lucky enough to get one yesterday).

That said, anyone have an extra for me for tonight??? :P

Guest st stephen

7th time seeing these guys, and wow what a great show last night. being to young to ever really see a good dead show, last night was like seeing the boys in there prime with the energy and suprizes of a new years show. There was recently a discussion about original setlist vs recreations, and now i really understand how the orginal setlist can relly top it all.

highlights for me

The Music Never Stopped> Unbroken Chain> Sunshine Daydream

Help>slip>Feel like a stranger>Franklins

SOTM

There appeared to be a crazy line at the box office last night and from reports it did sell out. There are still tickets on Ticketmaster for tonight (I just bought four) - You have to pay all the service fees but I was not going to chance going there tonight without one.

It was a terrific show, and I am not surprised by the steady increase in the band's drawing power. Rob announced that it was the 1st Nokia sell-out, even though I thought they had sold out the venue in the past. The mob of fans is on the one hand very pleasing, but sometimes makes me nostalgic (if one can use that word) for the days, not so long ago, when I could be right up front near the stage. I didn't even attempt it last night.

I like the Nokia very much for it's modern design and clean sound, what with the walls and ceiling lined with echo busters. I had a very good time from the seats. Security is a hit n' miss affair, and in my section, sometimes those blissfully smoking without regard to discretion got hassled, but not ejected. Overall, if you wanted to smoke, it was not exactly difficult. The sudden appearence of security prowling the stairs of the seating area every 20 minutes or so was a minor distraction. My advice: remember that smoking is banned. Don't be obvious. But even if you are discreet, you can get unlucky. Be polite to security if you are caught.

Add me to list of people who missed the Sugar Mags opener because of the ridiculously slow line to get in. That had not happened to me before. As much as I have loved the Nokia, there are a couple of things starting to bother me about the place, really revolving around sellouts. The back passageway (where the 3rd bar is) is too narrow. It takes too long to get a drink. The dance floor is too crowded. On the plus side, it's just that bigger of a party.

I like a setlist with a few surprises, and Unbroken Chain after Music was a very nice surprise, and as was noted Feel Like a Stranger in that slot. The jamming was great, worthy of a Friday night in NYC. Rob was jamming so hard that several times he was swaying back and forth from the waist, I don't recall seeing that before.

Looking foward to tonight!

Guest guyute420
what time did the show start and end???

They started at about 8:15 and wrapped it up around midnight. They took a pretty long set break, though.

Nasty, nasty show. Possibly the best original set I have heard them play. Lots of energy all night long. Really looking forward to tonight.

Guest PeggyO_brewster
They started at about 8:15 and wrapped it up around midnight. They took a pretty long set break, though.

Nasty, nasty show. Possibly the best original set I have heard them play. Lots of energy all night long. Really looking forward to tonight.

maybe a stupid question, but here goes anyway :)

Being that it is bitterly cold outside and we'll have jackets, was there a coat check or anything at Nokia?

Guest Funk Schwei
maybe a stupid question, but here goes anyway :)

Being that it is bitterly cold outside and we'll have jackets, was there a coat check or anything at Nokia?

There was a coat check 'area', but it wasn't open. I guess that's just for the fur and suede crowds. Jackets were strewn all over the railings and the corners of the room. My advice? Wear one you don't care much about and stash it in the venue. I left mine in the front left corner on that balcony-ish area off the floor where is was surprisingly not crowded. Found both of them (it was cold!) afterward without incident.

If you'd like a low-key 'warmup bar', I'll highly suggest Jack Dempseys. That 'Beam sure took the cold bite off of me.

Guest guyute420

The coat check was open last night. The line was kind of brutal, though. I'm expecting the same tonight.

Definitely show up early. We went to the venue last night at 7:30 and got inside before the show started, but not at the stage. We were still dealing with coat check and booze drinks when they started Sugar Mags.

Great thing about Nokia is, no matter where inside the place you are, you can always hear the music well.

• Forum MVP
yea the crowds at Nokia are growing only suggesting i have for that add MORE Shows ie phil played ten nights there at 60 bucks a pop!!

Let me firs start by saying this show was pure energy !!!! It is very easy to see that the band can sell out this place .... looks like its time to maybe think about Radio City Music Hall for a few nights .... and do some of those acoustic/electric shows !!!!!!

This was my first trip to NYC and I loved it! The people The food THE SHOW !!!!! Thanks for EVERYTHING Jersey Steve YOU ROCK !!!!!

I will post more on this show later ... just got in and must crash (work sucks) Night All

Guest st stephen

after seeing 6 phil shows there and both DSO nokia's.....sold out for phil was a lot more sold out than sold out for dso. I am saying that is a good thing. Maybe people were sneaking in for the phil shows, but the ohil shows just seemed to br more packd but they all were sold out.

DSO rocks. Now i am just planning when i can see them again after these two nokias.

Guest captain420

Sugar Magnolia> Loose Lucy ---During this I turned to jfolks and said, "It's gonna be one of THOSE nights!"

Cassidy

Here Comes Sunshine ---Thank You! talkers during this was ridiculous.

Unbroken Chain ---Yes, Jordan, you got it!! Excellent job Kevin.

Help on the Way > Slipknot! > Feel like a Stranger > Franklin's Tower

My jaw is hurting from hitting the floor when Stranger hit! A TOP dso moment for sure!

This is the 2007 dso/gd shit I'm talking about!!! originals bring out the best!

Alligator > Drums > Space > The Other One > Alligator > The Other One > SICK! thought NFA was coming, but back to alligator...

Standing on the Moon > --OH MAN! Beautiful! Hightlight!

Turn On Your Lovelight --Lisa on the lovelight!

Werewolves of London --Can't turn this one down! AHHH-OOOOHHHH

yea Radio City is a good idea but may be streatching it some but they deserve it either way NYC needs lots more thats LOTS more DSO shows and DSO deserves lots more $$ NYC shows just think in time it will have to happen economics should win out I mean just ran the #'s on phil selling out 10 nights at nokia comes to 1.26Mill gross!!! 60X10X2100, Yikes!! love the man but DSO god bless em plays every little town in USA for 20 to 30 bucks a pop for under a thousand people, just doesnt equate not even close Jim

Archived